PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nykbob is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is the verdict on .NET 3.5?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I've done a number of searches and cannot find a consistent answer.
I was thinking of installing .NET 3.5 from the cab in essentials to run some additional programs on my Sprint TP with the stock ROM.
What is the verdict on .NET 3.5? Some posts talked about certain functions not working after install. Are there things that will not work after I install? Are there any other tradeoffs?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 PM
N00b

WildAce786 is just getting started
Re: What is the verdict on .NET 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykbob View Post
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I've done a number of searches and cannot find a consistent answer.
I was thinking of installing .NET 3.5 from the cab in essentials to run some additional programs on my Sprint TP with the stock ROM.
What is the verdict on .NET 3.5? Some posts talked about certain functions not working after install. Are there things that will not work after I install? Are there any other tradeoffs?
I've been using 3.5 for about a month now, and I have to say I have not experienced any negative effects on my Sprint Touch Pro. Just like you, I am using the Stock ROM (with various tweaks), so I'm fairly positive your experience should be similar to mine.

IMHO, go ahead and install it.

Help me learn.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker

dtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuff

There are quite a few programs that require it. Make a backup before you install and, if for some reason, you have problems after the install, just uninstall. The backup is just in case the uninstall doesn't get you back to where you need to be.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 PM
caddieguy02

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

there are numerous apps and programs that u will require u to have it in order for them to work...if u plan to tweak or customize ur pro to much most likely ur going to run into some of these apps and or programs...such as diamond config i know asks for it...dont remember if diamond tweak does...i used net 3.5 on my mogul aswell as on my pro so ive used it for well over a year and i dont see myself going without it...
Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

basically installing 3.5 just adds additional functions, apps that don't know about 3.5 will still use the old framework. there is a tool to control which version apps use called .Net Configation ( netcfcfg.cab )
I have both autoinstalled with shashimi.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

APOLAUF is just getting started

3.5 simply provides a set of libraries required for certain binary applications that are compiled against 3.5 to run. If you're an embedded linux programmer, .NET CF is roughly equivalent to uClibC. There are different versions of uClibC, and the versions of libraries and thus available functions are different. Ergo, some apps are compiled (cross-compiled, actually) against different versions of .NET CF. It won't speed anything up. It also won't slow anything down. It doesn't replace 2.5, it supplements 2.5 (same happens on .NET on your PC.)

Reasons to install .NET 3.5 is if applications need it. If your phone seems slower, it's a placebo effect. Installing 3.5 won't affect your speed unless there's an application that's compiled against something needing a 3.5 library.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

mikeo1313 is just getting started

q.1. I wonder if it occupies the full 34 megs on the ppc as the size of the download on disk?

q.2. Do programs that explicitly NEED .net 2.0 still operate if you install .net 3.5 to a stock rom (which allready has .net2.0)? (meaning would you effectively have both at the same time?)

q.3. Furthermore if you do install .net 3.5 on a unit that allready has 2.0 will there be a diviation from the amount of space it will occupy vs installing it on a unit that doesn't have a 2.0 base?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:28 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

1. NO, the cab is only 2.5MB
2. YES
3. I'm not aware of any base that doesn't have the 2.0 framework, and based on experience with XP both are still usually "needed".
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro