PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

aceofspades923 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are custom ROMs worth it?

I am debating flashing a custom rom onto my touch pro, but I am curious to see if it is even worth taking the risk. The only thing I am looking for is more speed, but still want to keep most if not all of the programs.

I looked on xda-developers and saw some custom ROMs touting that they get 130 mb of free program memory, but I can get that right now with my stock rom if no programs are running. It seems to me that all custom roms do is add and subtract some programs for the user.

Please let me know what I am missing here.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

mikeo1313 is just getting started
Re: Are custom ROMs worth it?

As a holder of a verizon version of the touch pro thats been the main point in case, freeing up memory. But me personally, guided from all the trouble people seem to be having its something I'll be putting off for now.

Just think about what you want to do, got extra time to screw with it for some performence gains at the risk of screwing something else up, and spending more time dealing with that, do-it.

For now I'm just waiting for my 8gb card to come in the mail and am happy enough having fixed ICS and not paying anything extra to verizon for DUN. All I'm waiting for is 4 bored to bring out phase 2 of gps fix and I'll be just fine putting anything else I might want on my card if need be.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

I'm on stock rom, but probably will flash if someone comes out with windows mobile 6.1.4 later.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 PM
caddieguy02

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i havent put a custom rom onto my pro yet...im holding off untill i read about one that has almost no bugs and is stable..but i will flash to one eventually...i used no2chems roms and even DCDs roms on my mogul the last 5 months i had it and i must say its worth it...speed increase...more responsive...but unlike u, i like it without all the junk sprint and HTC throw in there...so this is one of the perks of custom roms for me
Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

dtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuff

I'm with caddieguy on this. With the additional RAM and better processor on the Pro, I am still using the stock ROM and have been happy with it. On my Mogul...quite another story.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you were using a Mogul or earlier device I'd say Flashing a custom ROM is almost a necessity. (I'd probably include the VZN TP in that list too but I don't know enough about it).

For a Sprint TP, especially if you are new, I'd say just wait and find out what Apps, utilities, tweaks are absolute necessities... and then later one you can try a custom ROM that best fits your preferences.

Even though the custom ROMs are getting better and better each week, you can still accomplish most of what the custom ROMs offer right now just installing programs the regular way. (of course this can change very quickly).

Just get familar with it and keep on reading.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon

Kolano is becoming a great contributor

You can obtain most of the same things via customizations that you can gain from cooking a ROM via the kitchen, or using someone else's custom ROM. However, some advantages of doing so include:
-Freeing phone storage memory. For instance, after flashing my phone has all the software I am interested in having, but is only using 8.96m of storage memory. Admittedly with today's larger internal memories, and add-on cards this may not be a big deal.
-Allowing settings to not be lost by a hard reset. Particularly if you mess around with your phone a lot, I've found it easy to get it into states requiring a hard reset, which is painful when it removes all your phones customizations. This is more true of cooking your own ROM though, as with custom ROMs your stuck with whatever the author has setup.
-Allowing adjustments to some settings such as page pool size that can't be customized without flashing.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro