PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brando video out cable quick review

After unsuccessfully trying to modify one of these to use camcorder cables, I decided to bite the bullet and get the Brando video cable.

Brando is located in Hong Kong. I ordered on Dec. 14 and received the cable on Dec. 23.

A quick review:

PROS

- Full video functionality - cable registers as TV out immediately upon plug-in. You do not have to be connected to the TV to register like this.

- Price - at $16 with free shipping, this is the cheapest commercial cable available at this time. EDIT 1/5/08: Free shipping was a limited-time offer. Brando has a $3 shipping charge. Still the cheapest commercial cable at this time, but comparison shop accordingly.

- Build quality - seems to be of good build quality, the connectors are solid and the cable very pliable.

- Works through media adaptor - The cable itself has no power input, however it can be used through the HTC headphone adaptor that comes with the TP.

- Long cable - cable is about 8' long from end to end, so you can sit back from the TV a ways and control the TP. This could possibly be a Con if you want a short cable.

CONS

- No built-in power port - Though you can use the adaptor that comes with the TP, as noted above.

- Foreign supplier - Takes a little longer to arrive than a product shipped from a US retailer.

CONCLUSION

The Brando cable is a great alternative to the Expansys cable for people wanting a foolproof, commercial solution. Recommended!

Last edited by dr g; 01-05-2009 at 06:28 PM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work
Re: Brando video out cable quick review

A little usage update ... No problems with the cable itself so far, but of course the blue flicker issue with Coreplayer exists, so I have to use Directdraw mode, which struggles even more than Qtv mode already does.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2)
Carrier: ATT

hopper13 is a n00b

How is the video quality? Is there any background hum? I have done the "dremel tool mod" to a $6 ebay cable and it does work, but there is a slight hum.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

+1 for the review

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Nice writeup! I didn't know there were other retailers, so thanks for the info
Old 12-27-2008, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint

chrisaroz is just getting started

Sweet! Thanks to your review I just ordered them!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Overall video quality report (besides blue flicker issue)? What sort of TV are you connecting to? SD or HD? If HD, how does it look upscaled (granted this will differ from TV to TV)?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Lurker

hopper13 is a n00b

** Video review using the "Dremel mod", not the Brando cable **

I tried tv out today for the first time using the dremel mod on a $6 ebay cable and standard HTC adapter. There is a soft background hum which is tolerable. Streaming video to my 42" HD set shows a pretty fuzzy picture, even when just displaying a menu or home screen. I guess this is a resolution issue and will be present with all cables. I did try streaming a movie via CorePlayer (direct draw) and although it's not great, it is okay in a pinch. Streaming Slingbox is pretty rough and defaults to full screen so there is no ability to change any setting or channel without disconnecting the tv out cable.

I am anxious to hear if the viewing quality seems better with the Brando cable!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper13 View Post
**Slingbox is pretty rough and defaults to full screen so there is no ability to change any setting or channel without disconnecting the tv out cable.
!
not true, push up on the bottom of the SB screen & you can get to all the settings/change channels etc. while the video out is connected (I do it all the time)

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Lurker

hopper13 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
not true, push up on the bottom of the SB screen & you can get to all the settings/change channels etc. while the video out is connected (I do it all the time)

~John
Thanks! That's a big help. Now if I could only get Sling to connect via wifi... it just gets to the first "inverted U" screen and stays there forever. Works fine via 3G, but that won't help me in Europe next month.

I found an old 13" CRT TV with rca inputs and tried my "dremel cable" on a smaller screen. Of course, that helped... but the picture is still a bit fuzzy.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro