PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

EngravEER is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headphones Question from TP Newbie

First post in the Touch Pro forum. Just got my new phone yesterday!

One initial setback with my new TP is that I find I can't use my corded Plantronics 2.5mm headphones with the supplied mini-USB adapter. Person I'm calling sounds fine on my end, but they say they're hearing a really bad echo and can barely hear me. Have tried adjusting the volume, etc. and nothing seems to work.

I'm willing to ditch the 2.5mm headset, but so far in my brief time searching haven't come-up with a suitable replacement. I like corded headsets... don't want to do Bluetooth. Hate the earbud style like those that came with the phone... highly uncomfortable and always getting tangled-up (although I'm using those for now and callers say the HTC earbuds sound fine).

What I'm really looking for is a good mini-USB headset (so I don't have to use the adapter), "over the head" style, preferrably with a boom mic and stereo cups for both ears for listening to music and taking calls.

I don't even know if such a headset exists. Any ideas, recommendations, etc.???
Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Telus

hood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to hood662
Re: Headphones Question from TP Newbie

i know you said you dont like bluetooth, but these insignias i got are very good esepcially considering the pricepoint,
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=17-25167987-2
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

EngravEER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood662 View Post
i know you said you dont like bluetooth, but these insignias i got are very good esepcially considering the pricepoint,
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=17-25167987-2
Thanks Hood. Looks like a great set of phones... just wish the darn thing was wired with a mini-USB at the other end. Lots of options for something like this in Bluetooth, but as I indicated in my original post, I haven't found ANYTHING like this in wired mini-USB.

There's got to be SOMETHING out there like what I'm looking for, right??
Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Bell Mobility

sportster44 is just getting started

didn't your phone come with mini USB headphones?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

discipler is just getting started

Here's what I did to the headset that came with the TP. http://mytouchpro.blogspot.com/2008/...o-headset.html I use them all of the time now.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

EngravEER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster44 View Post
didn't your phone come with mini USB headphones?
Yup. Came with those little HTC earbuds that I despise. Things are always getting tangled-up and I have a hard time keeping them in my ears... the two reasons I've always hated earbuds.

I'm looking for a set of corded, "over-the-head" stereo headphones -- preferrably with a boom mic but at this point I'm not going to be particular on that -- that have a mini-USB connector on the other end so I can go straight into the TP without using the HTC dongle.

Apparently such a creature doesn't exist... at least I haven't found one yet
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngravEER View Post
First post in the Touch Pro forum. Just got my new phone yesterday!

One initial setback with my new TP is that I find I can't use my corded Plantronics 2.5mm headphones with the supplied mini-USB adapter. Person I'm calling sounds fine on my end, but they say they're hearing a really bad echo and can barely hear me. Have tried adjusting the volume, etc. and nothing seems to work.

I'm willing to ditch the 2.5mm headset, but so far in my brief time searching haven't come-up with a suitable replacement. I like corded headsets... don't want to do Bluetooth. Hate the earbud style like those that came with the phone... highly uncomfortable and always getting tangled-up (although I'm using those for now and callers say the HTC earbuds sound fine).

What I'm really looking for is a good mini-USB headset (so I don't have to use the adapter), "over the head" style, preferrably with a boom mic and stereo cups for both ears for listening to music and taking calls.

I don't even know if such a headset exists. Any ideas, recommendations, etc.???
I don't think they make over the head headphones with a mini-usb jack. You could always use the ones that came with the phone like sportster44 and discipler suggested.

Personally, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-BT-3030-...0038657&sr=8-1

I know you said you don't want to use BT, but this may fit your needs. You can plug in any standard 3.5 MM headphones into this thing. It has a built in mic that allows you to answer calls if needed. Call quality isn't that bad. You can also control Windows Media Player with the controls without having to touch the phone.

It's easy to connect. Just turn on bluetooth on your phone and turn on the device and it pairs it for you.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

EngravEER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by discipler View Post
Here's what I did to the headset that came with the TP. http://mytouchpro.blogspot.com/2008/...o-headset.html I use them all of the time now.
Interesting solution but if I'm understanding what you did correctly, you...

1) have gone from stereo to mono with one "snip" and

2) are still using the original earbud piece

Once again, I'm looking for stereo (for music of course) and hoping to get away from -- what are for me anyways -- very uncomfortable earbuds.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

EngravEER is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
I don't think they make over the head headphones with a mini-usb jack. You could always use the ones that came with the phone like sportster44 and discipler suggested.

Personally, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-BT-3030-...0038657&sr=8-1

I know you said you don't want to use BT, but this may fit your needs. You can plug in any standard 3.5 MM headphones into this thing. It has a built in mic that allows you to answer calls if needed. Call quality isn't that bad. You can also control Windows Media Player with the controls without having to touch the phone.

It's easy to connect. Just turn on bluetooth on your phone and turn on the device and it pairs it for you.
Blazn' - Yep, saw this Jabra unit earlier when I was searching... starting to think this may be my best bet. Everything I've read on it has been very positive.

One of the reasons I was hoping for a "non-Bluetooth" solution is the battery issue. Have had the TP for only two days now and the battery life is a drastic change from my Palm 700wx (I knew this going in though and was prepared for the "trade-off"). So I'm looking for ways to maximize battery life and figured Bluetooth is a fairly significant drain, hence the reason I was trying to keep that "off" whenever possible.

That Jabra unit does look nice though
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngravEER View Post
Blazn' - Yep, saw this Jabra unit earlier when I was searching... starting to think this may be my best bet. Everything I've read on it has been very positive.

One of the reasons I was hoping for a "non-Bluetooth" solution is the battery issue. Have had the TP for only two days now and the battery life is a drastic change from my Palm 700wx (I knew this going in though and was prepared for the "trade-off"). So I'm looking for ways to maximize battery life and figured Bluetooth is a fairly significant drain, hence the reason I was trying to keep that "off" whenever possible.

That Jabra unit does look nice though
Well that's understandable. Seeing how you just got your phone, your battery probably hasn't been properly broken in yet. I know mine has gotten better. I couldn't make it through the day when listening to music. Now I can listen to music for about 6 hours while I'm at work and still have 30% left by the end oft he work day. Not awesome by any means but better than when I first got the phone.

I've done this hack:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39966

Before I did the hack, my battery would be down to 20% when I was listening to music for 4 hours. Now I can make it to the end of the day. You should check it out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro