PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Allsmell

PWeber is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does teh USB cord charge at same rate as AC charger?

Does the USB port output the same ammount of current to charge at the same (or better) rate as teh AC charger?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: Does teh USB cord charge at same rate as AC charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeber View Post
Does the USB port output the same ammount of current to charge at the same (or better) rate as teh AC charger?
Short answer, no.

AC charger is much faster than USB.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Bad HAL 9000 is becoming a great contributor

Standard USB ports push out 500ma, while the stock HTC charger push out 1A (1000ma)

So you get half the speed. Unless you are using your phone very heavily. The TP can eat up 500ma when performing certian tasks.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

well... charging at twice the ma doesn't make the phone last a long though. i've heard numerous reports of the battery lasting longer when charged on a slow charge (500ma), than when charged by the ac charger.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

As said above, some have reported longer battery life when charged with the computer.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: ppc6800
Carrier: sprint

zarlof is just getting started

I would suggest looking into this. It makes the USB charge almost as fast as the plugin. The only downfall is it will not sync when you have the fast charge switch set. However, I love it! No need to have two cables at my desk. I hope someone makes a base like this.

http://www.ppctechs.com/HTC-Raphael_...r_1008-440.htm

Zar...
Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad HAL 9000 View Post
Standard USB ports push out 500ma, while the stock HTC charger push out 1A (1000ma)

So you get half the speed. Unless you are using your phone very heavily. The TP can eat up 500ma when performing certian tasks.
I've had the TP overwhelm an AC charger, too. A part of that issue is heat, too, I am sure. I just got a car charger for mine, and it charges at the normal ~900 ma, ran Sprint Navigation for about an hour, sitting idle the majority of the time. When I plugged it in, it was fully charged. When I unplugged it, it was at about 73%.

In my tests charging it with the computer instead of the wall charger, while there was a slight difference, it really wasn't worth it. I found it more effective to let it "fully charge," unplug it for 5 minutes or so, and plug it back in. Charges faster, lasts longer. I suspect the heat has something to do with the voltage reading high, it thinks its fully charged, then when it cools back to a normal temperature, you're really in the 90% range.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

saibot is keeping up the good worksaibot is keeping up the good work

I've noticed a few times while the car charger is connected that it's not charging. It stops charging when it's too hot and running Sprint Nav for an hour will definitely do it. Opening the slider helped it cool down and it started charging again. I thought about putting the TP by the air vent, but figured might cause some condensation.

Anyway I doubt that the TP overwhelmed the car charger. Rather that it just wasn't charging. Why plug in a fully charged phone anyways?
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro