PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XV6850 is the red-headed stepchild of Touch Pro's

DISCLAIMER: this post is of no importance whatsoever and is purely RANT.

I'm not sure what has me more annoyed.. the fact that Verizon and their crippling of devices.. or just the plain stupidity of the keyboard on this thing. Ya, people may call me a moron for not being able to get used to hitting the up arrow every time I'm trying to hit the M but the fact is, for someone who types over 140wpm on a normal QWERTY keyboard we don't think about having to relearn the process of typing again. Ya, I would maybe get used to it eventually but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO.

But that isn't alll... not only is the keyboard a constant PITA, but I now have to deal with knowing that EVERYONE ELSE has DOUBLE the amount of RAM I do. Where I'm stuck constantly refreshing and rebooting (like on my 6800), everyone else has the luxury of not having to worry about it.. with the same phone!

But wait, that's not all! I can't use Google Maps and Live Search GPS or any other 3rd party gps program because Verizon likes lockin' their phones down so people pay them money for their crappy software... Granted, there might be other ROMs developed eventually that crack this but that pushes me into my next gripe!

ROM support.... The fact is, the xv6850 is the red-headed stepchild of the Touch Pros. For enthusiasts, there are very few who have gotten this phone and the support for ROM development is MINIMAL compared to the other versions of the phone. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of my headache so I'm gettin' rid of this thing.

/bye BIG RED! Ebay, u can have my XV6850... I just ordered a Fuze.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

yerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: XV6850 is the red-headed stepchild of Touch Pro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoran View Post
/bye BIG RED! Ebay, u can have my XV6850... I just ordered a Fuze.
all that and you're going from one evil ISP to an even more evil one?.....you do know that Sprint's prices are way better right?.....and despite what you've heard from both verizon and att's commercials(how can they both claim that?), it is in fact Sprint that has the largest and fastest 3g network currently in the US.....maybe you just like to be raped....
Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerp View Post
all that and you're going from one evil ISP to an even more evil one?.....you do know that Sprint's prices are way better right?.....and despite what you've heard from both verizon and att's commercials(how can they both claim that?), it is in fact Sprint that has the largest and fastest 3g network currently in the US.....maybe you just like to be raped....
Well, I think service is a big thing .. and around my area Sprint is horrible... so I could get a good phone but what good is it with no bars? ATT isn't bad... I know a lot of people who have ATT and are pretty happy with their service... rollover is def an added bonus here.

Not sure what to think about their data network but I don't think it can be toooooo bad... the GSM version of this phone seems to have more of a following though, especially on xda... I think it has something to do with the fact that GSM is the standard in europe too so there are lots more developers makin' ROMs.

as for price... I got it for $175 ordering from my company's premier site so that's no better than the best deal going on right now for sprint which is $199 at best buy.

*shrug*
Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre - HTC Hero

namtaru is a n00b

Pretty much every point you made is pointless besides the GPS

The keyboard argument is the most overhyped problem on this phone. ANYONE who has used this phone figured it out the first time they used the letter M.

The memory issue, while yes it sucks Sprint and AT&T have more, also shouldn't be an issue. It's like someone who thinks they need 2 GB of ram on their computer to surf the internet and type word documents.

ROM development is minimal because the phone came out months after the other ones. Be patient

Patience will also net you use of the GPS, but since it sounds like you dont have any so i wouldnt worry

Hope you enjoy your Fuze

Last edited by namtaru; 12-16-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Tab

kyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on repkyrumo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The Fuze has the worst keyboard, look at where the numbers are located, I like Verizon's big keys
Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved.

late,
Coz
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

yerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyerp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Not sure what to think about their data network but I don't think it can be toooooo bad... the GSM version of this phone seems to have more of a following though, especially on xda... I think it has something to do with the fact that GSM is the standard in europe too so there are lots more developers makin' ROMs.

as for price... I got it for $175 ordering from my company's premier site so that's no better than the best deal going on right now for sprint which is $199 at best buy.

*shrug*
ATTs network is pretty bad. I play with my friends iPhone at work and after using Sprint's EVDO for 3 years, ATTs speeds are painful.....

$ wise, i was referring to the plan's not the phone itself. i pay less then half of what my friend pays for his ATT service. it adds up to over $1000 in savings through the life of the contract.

while it is true that the GSM version of this phone has gotten more attention, as someone else pointed out earlier, the GSM version has been out in Europe/Asia for a while now. the CDMA version just came out. give it a few months. just wait till the Raphael Elite Team drops their ROM....it's gonna be sweet.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

gc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuffgc14 knows their stuff

Or you could have just done what I did and get a Sprint TP and use it on VZW network. Best thing I've ever done.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc14 View Post
Or you could have just done what I did and get a Sprint TP and use it on VZW network. Best thing I've ever done.
ya that's my other obvious option but having no warranty will prob end up hurting in the end... I usually go through 3+ phones per year I can't imagine what I would do if something happens to the phone and have no way to get a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerp
ATTs network is pretty bad. I play with my friends iPhone at work and after using Sprint's EVDO for 3 years, ATTs speeds are painful.....
Is that just an iphone thing? I have no idea... I've personally never tried ATT but I have tried sprint... I guess ATT's data network can't be THAT bad or else people would never go to it.. I'm sure it has to do with area too and in my particular area ATT is usually the best, sprint is the worst. Obviously I posted that thread in CDMA forum so naturally there are going to be GSM haters responding saying ATT sucks... everyone has an opinion I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtaru View Post
The memory issue, while yes it sucks Sprint and AT&T have more, also shouldn't be an issue. It's like someone who thinks they need 2 GB of ram on their computer to surf the internet and type word documents.
I just had to comment on this one... shouldn't be an issue? are you serious? If you use opera or any of the newer apps that like memory (new dialer, etc) RAM fills up FAST... You can't honestly sit there and tell me an extra 128mb of RAM wouldn't be noticed. If that's the case, you obviously don't use your phone for nearly as much as the rest of us. Maybe your analogy isn't appropriate in my case though, because I most-definately do NOT just surf the internet and type word documents.. just like I don't just text messaging and answer phone calls on my wm device.

Last edited by Zenoran; 12-16-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre - HTC Hero

namtaru is a n00b

Quote:
I just had to comment on this one... shouldn't be an issue? are you serious? If you use opera or any of the newer apps that like memory (new dialer, etc) RAM fills up FAST... You can't honestly sit there and tell me an extra 128mb of RAM wouldn't be noticed. If that's the case, you obviously don't use your phone for nearly as much as the rest of us. Maybe your analogy isn't appropriate in my case though, because I most-definately do NOT just surf the internet and type word documents.. just like I don't just text messaging and answer phone calls on my wm device.
Yes, it fills up.

Having just now had Google Maps, Live Search, Opera, YouTube, Activesync, Contacts, Teeter, and Slide2Unlock open all at the same time i was using about 85% of my memory

No slow down in TF3d whatsoever, and minimal, if any, lag between switching applications.

So back to my point, there may not be a lot of memory, but if you can't tell the different in speed when its near full then who cares

get over it

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro