PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Application Install Location (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49096)

mjodotcom 12-14-2008 09:02 PM

Application Install Location

I was just curious as to what common practice everyone uses here for the install location of all of there applications. Do you typically store them on the external memory card, or on the phones internal memory - and is there any advantages/disadvantages to one location or another? Thanks!

RockSta® 12-14-2008 09:13 PM

Re: Application Install Location

I install big more intense stuff on the internal memory and small apps on the storage card....some apps dont function too well running off the memcard.

dole 12-14-2008 09:14 PM

Some programs won't load properly or may cause problems if installed to the memory card. I believe it's best practice to install most intensive/essential apps and tweaks to the device memory, games, and non-essential stuff to the card.

ACHlLLES 12-14-2008 09:17 PM

If it's an upgrade (like Opera), I install it in internal, if not, I usually go w/ storage card.

scmobileman 12-14-2008 09:19 PM

Let me ask this, have you noticed that some apps will install on the phone rather than the card regardless of you choosing to use the storage card as the install location? I've had a few do this, one was today when I installed S2U2. I even uninstalled it and tried again and it still went to the phone's memory. Is that necessary for certain apps?

Compusmurf 12-14-2008 09:21 PM

Rule of thumb. If the app always loads or runs upon a boot, put it in main memory. If it's an app that YOU run, storage card should be fine.

Any constant on utilities, today apps, TF3d stuff, all should be in ram.

scmobileman 12-14-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compusmurf (Post 578623)
Rule of thumb. If the app always loads or runs upon a boot, put it in main memory. If it's an app that YOU run, storage card should be fine.

Any constant on utilities, today apps, TF3d stuff, all should be in ram.

That's what I assumed. Thanks for the insight Compu.

speck 12-14-2008 10:05 PM

If you install an app to the card - can you later copy the files over to a different card and still have everything work? (as long as folder names and levels stay the same?)

BigDiesel07 12-15-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speck (Post 578712)
If you install an app to the card - can you later copy the files over to a different card and still have everything work? (as long as folder names and levels stay the same?)

I believe so, yes... I always install everything on to the Internal Storage... Better safe then sorry in my opinion... I use the storage card for music and storing install files...

jmorton10 12-15-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speck (Post 578712)

Yes, you can.

John