PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Possible to use Internal GPS in no coverage area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
There was a dispute about this... I think you might actually have to modify the registry to make GPS work completely independent, because it tries to get a lock faster based on the nearest cell tower or something crazy...

I'll see if I can find anything for you.
that seems kinda gay. humm im not getting any service and whats the next street>>>> Damn!

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

iiimik3 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler View Post
that seems kinda gay. humm im not getting any service and whats the next street>>>> Damn!
AGPS only uses the data connection to create a route. If you lose cellular reception the GPS will still be able to navigate using the route which was acquired earlier using the data connection.

But yeah, the touch pro is able to work regardless of AGPS
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiimik3 View Post
AGPS only uses the data connection to create a route.
More misinformation. AGPS doesn't make routes. AGPS uses land based assistance servers to determine your location. AGPS works by using data from the satellites + an assistance server to determine a location more quickly and where poor satellite signal is an issue.

Your mapping software whether it be sprint navigator, garmin xt, tom tom, etc etc, does the routing based off your location as determined by your (a)gps and the maps.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by akijikan View Post
More misinformation. AGPS doesn't make routes. AGPS uses land based assistance servers to determine your location. AGPS works by using data from the satellites + an assistance server to determine a location more quickly and where poor satellite signal is an issue.

Your mapping software whether it be sprint navigator, garmin xt, tom tom, etc etc, does the routing based off your location as determined by your (a)gps and the maps.
ok well maybe i worded it wrong, but what i meant was, if your device requires assistance via internet connection to get a sat lock (like the mogul) then you can get sat loc, create a route, and even if you lose data reception during the course of the route, the navigation software will still be able to guide you properly. However you can not get a sat lock if there is no data reception initially.

I had a real world experience w/ my mogul where this happened exactly. I drove to sequoia national park for a camping trip, using garmin. I was able to use it fine on the way there, even without having the slightest bit of cellular reception for many miles inside the park. However when it came time to leave the park and head home i wasn't able to get a sat lock until i was back in an area w/ cellular reception.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
War is the answer!

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
ok well maybe i worded it wrong, but what i meant was, if your device requires assistance via internet connection to get a sat lock (like the mogul) then you can get sat loc, create a route, and even if you lose data reception during the course of the route, the navigation software will still be able to guide you properly. However you can not get a sat lock if there is no data reception initially.

I had a real world experience w/ my mogul where this happened exactly. I drove to sequoia national park for a camping trip, using garmin. I was able to use it fine on the way there, even without having the slightest bit of cellular reception for many miles inside the park. However when it came time to leave the park and head home i wasn't able to get a sat lock until i was back in an area w/ cellular reception.
I think its different on my Pro.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPCT7380 Touch Pro2 and 4 PPC-6850 TP

rsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuff

Quote:

I have also experienced something almost exactly like that, I used TomTom to navigate to a camping site in the Rockies losing cell service on the way but GPS kept tracking my location just fine. When it was time to leave a few days later I could not acquire a satellite fix to save my life if I needed it. When I was back in cell range the gps picked up a signal and started tracking like normal.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrown69 View Post
I have also experienced something almost exactly like that, I used TomTom to navigate to a camping site in the Rockies losing cell service on the way but GPS kept tracking my location just fine. When it was time to leave a few days later I could not acquire a satellite fix to save my life if I needed it. When I was back in cell range the gps picked up a signal and started tracking like normal.
thats stupid, even if it was slower you should still get gps....
Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPCT7380 Touch Pro2 and 4 PPC-6850 TP

rsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuffrsbrown69 knows their stuff

Quote:
thats stupid, even if it was slower you should still get gps....
It was a several hour drive out with clear skies and the GPS kept searching until shortly after we were back in cell range.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrown69 View Post
It was a several hour drive out with clear skies and the GPS kept searching until shortly after we were back in cell range.
that would have had to suck
Old 02-07-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I think its different on my Pro.
Yes, it's different on the Pro. The pro doesn't require "assistance" so it's able to get a sat lock even without cellular reception.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro