PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

augie0041 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery still discharging when plugged into an external battery charger?!?

I purchased one of those external AA battery chargers for my Touch Pro. When I plug it into my phone, the lights around the keypad light up indicating it is charging.
I travel alot and need this for my long flights. I had the phone charged at 100% before my flight. I turned on 'Airplane mode' and plugged in my external charger for a few hours until I wanted to play with it on the plane. It was down to 70%!!
I watched a 3 hour divx movie in TCPMP with the brightness as low as possible, volume all the way up (because I had to, it was a plane)and having it plugged into the external charger the whole time. The phone technically never died, but with about 20 minutes left in the movie, I kept on getting the battery low message (which interrupted my movie each time.) It was obvious the external battery charger was doing something...as the second I pulled the plug out, the phone immediately shut off from low battery.
About 30 minutes later, I decided to just try out PocketMusic and listen to some mp3s with the screen off and the battery charger still plugged in. No issues at all, actually after 2 hours of that, my battery was back up to 50% charged.
What is going on?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Telus

spikey is a n00b
Re: Battery still discharging when plugged into an external battery charger?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augie0041 View Post
I purchased one of those external AA battery chargers for my Touch Pro. When I plug it into my phone, the lights around the keypad light up indicating it is charging.
I travel alot and need this for my long flights. I had the phone charged at 100% before my flight. I turned on 'Airplane mode' and plugged in my external charger for a few hours until I wanted to play with it on the plane. It was down to 70%!!
I watched a 3 hour divx movie in TCPMP with the brightness as low as possible, volume all the way up (because I had to, it was a plane)and having it plugged into the external charger the whole time. The phone technically never died, but with about 20 minutes left in the movie, I kept on getting the battery low message (which interrupted my movie each time.) It was obvious the external battery charger was doing something...as the second I pulled the plug out, the phone immediately shut off from low battery.
About 30 minutes later, I decided to just try out PocketMusic and listen to some mp3s with the screen off and the battery charger still plugged in. No issues at all, actually after 2 hours of that, my battery was back up to 50% charged.
What is going on?
When you're watching the movie you're using the screen and using a lot of CPU so the phone gets really hot. Once it's hot, it won't charge the battery anymore basically to prevent the battery from blowing up.
Once the device cools down (Music, Screen Off demands much less power) it began to charge again.

There's nothing wrong with your external battery charger.

Last edited by spikey; 12-14-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:41 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

augie0041 is a n00b

I dont think it was a heat issue as I experience that all the time when making phone calls, and I have pretty much learned to remove the back cover (ugh!) open the keyboard and it lasts as long as I need it. (I had the keyboard open on the plane just in case) But it was not getting hot. I mean, the keypad continued to light up as if it was receiving a charge, I'm guessing it was discharging at a far greater rate than it was receiving a charge from my battery charger.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Telus

spikey is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by augie0041 View Post
I dont think it was a heat issue as I experience that all the time when making phone calls, and I have pretty much learned to remove the back cover (ugh!) open the keyboard and it lasts as long as I need it. (I had the keyboard open on the plane just in case) But it was not getting hot. I mean, the keypad continued to light up as if it was receiving a charge, I'm guessing it was discharging at a far greater rate than it was receiving a charge from my battery charger.
That's another possibility, if it outputs the same voltage as USB (500mA) then you might discharge faster than charge.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Simple, watching movies is a fairly large load on the phone, probably more power than those AA's and that charger can put out. So you get a boost from the AA charger, but it doesn't fully power your phone so the required power has to come from somewhere... your internal battery.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:58 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

augie0041 is a n00b

Is there anything I can do (lower the quality of the video, lower the volume and use an external boost of some sort), i dont know, anything? The AA battery charger was enough when I did the same things on my PPC-6700 in the past, this is a better phone, I should be able to do at least the same with it.
Will reducing the quality of the videos have any effect? That is the only difference, or, is there a way to run TCPMP in a slower mode that doesnt use all 640x480 pixels?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Get this guy - it's awesome (had it on my touch, now on the touch pro) - I use it all the time on my long flights.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Univ...9295760&sr=8-1

-mark
Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

maybe lowering the brightness while watching the movie?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

augie0041 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomark View Post
Get this guy - it's awesome (had it on my touch, now on the touch pro) - I use it all the time on my long flights.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Univ...9295760&sr=8-1

-mark
Have you tried playing a movie during these long flights? Does the Touch Pro eat up more power than this battery charger can feed it? Can you please test that out one night for me? (I think best way to test it is to start playing a divx movie in TCPMP while the battery is extremely low, will this external battery keep the phone alive long enough to complete the movie?)
Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment < - Awesome!

ramiss is becoming a great contributor

Lowering the brightness and turning off unnecessary radios will help the issue.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro