PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 04:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

speck is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for simple email solution

Here's the situation - I currently use multiple email addresses. I don't need or want to access all my email from my phone. (there's just too much)

I'd like to be able to set up one email account that I would sync with my phone. I could write 'rules' for my work outlook account to forward particular emails to the 'phone email' address.

Ideally, I'd then like to do the same thing (rules to forward particular emails) for all my email accounts, although I'm not sure if that is possible for ones like hotmail, yahoo, etc.

Is this do-able? What would be the best way to go about this? My first thought is setting up a specific gmail account, then following the various posts here to get that setup on my phone.

Would that be the best approach, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Looking for simple email solution

You can just add the E-Mail accounts you want to access on your phone to your E-Mail Accounts on the phone... That way only the E-Mail accounts that you need to access from your phone are showed...

Unless you mean that only certain types of E-Mail are sent to your phone, like only from a particular mailing list, then I am not sure... Regardless, I wish you Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

speck is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
Unless you mean that only certain types of E-Mail are sent to your phone, like only from a particular mailing list, then I am not sure... Regardless, I wish you Good Luck!
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm looking for - to have only emails meeting certain 'requirements' (from a certain person, having a specific 'subject' or word in the 'subject', etc) to be sent to the phone. I believe that if my company was using Outlook 2007 - I could set up text messaging for these types of situations - unfortunately, we are many versions behind (no bleeding edge at this place.

The more I read, the more confused I am getting. I thought I understood the difference between 'push' and 'pull' email, but now I'm not so sure. For example, I thought gmail IMAP is a 'push' service, but does it actually push the email to the phone, or just send a notification that the email has arrived to the phone, and you have to take an action to 'pull' the email contents? (does that question even make sense?)
Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Big MVP Diesel

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

I believe that "Push e-mail" means that as soon as the e-mail is received by your e-mail account, the e-mail is automatically "pushed" to the phone.. "Pull e-mail" is when the e-mail app on your phone pings the e-mail account you have to see if it has any new e-mails.. That is why when you set up your e-mail account in WM, you can select different time intervals for it to "ping" the e-mail account.. Obviously, if there is a new e-mail, it "pulls" it onto the phone... I hope that cleared it up...

I believe Gmail, Yahoo, AOL are all pull e-mail while exchange is push e-mail.. Blackberry e-mail is also push...

If there are any settings to set up this selected screening of incoming email, I would believe they are in your e-mail account, not on the phone itself...
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Well without paying for something either one your phones end or email providers end (yahoo, hotmail) you probably can't do what you want.

I'm using Flexmail and although i don't do what you'd like to, it has some of the capabilities because of rules.

Not only can you have a gang load of email accounts on it but you can also specify rules for each account individually. Which means spam or moving to another folder/account whatever.

Supports imap and pop. Can read exchange and sms messages as well. It's really full featured and very customizable!

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Big MVP Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
Well without paying for something either one your phones end or email providers end (yahoo, hotmail) you probably can't do what you want.

I'm using Flexmail and although i don't do what you'd like to, it has some of the capabilities because of rules.

Not only can you have a gang load of email accounts on it but you can also specify rules for each account individually. Which means spam or moving to another folder/account whatever.

Supports imap and pop. Can read exchange and sms messages as well. It's really full featured and very customizable!
You have a link for it?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment < - Awesome!

ramiss is becoming a great contributor

FlexMail is at www.webis.net. It supports IMAP IDLE which is as close as you can get to push email without an exchange server. It also supports Exchange accounts by directly using the ActiveSync folder. IMO it the best 3rd party email client for WM.

To answer the OP....Personally, if you can afford the $9/mn, I would highly recommend getting a true Exchange server address and automatically forward any of your other email accounts to that address. There are many companies out there offering single exchange accounts.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
You have a link for it?
anything for you buddy!

http://webis.net/products_info.php?p_id=mail

***edit***

haha a little late :P

and i agree, it IS the BEST ever!
Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Big MVP Diesel

Cool... Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro