PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Touch Pro and Windows Live: GPS? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48418)

FuzzyLabRat 12-10-2008 01:45 AM

Touch Pro and Windows Live: GPS?

My stock Sprint Touch Pro never finds my GPS with Windows Live Maps/Services... I utilize the GPS with Sprint Navigator without much incident, but would like to use Windows Live as well; it simply never locates the GPS (if that makes sense)

Believe this may also apply to AT&T Fuze??

BigDiesel07 12-10-2008 01:51 AM

Re: Touch Pro and Windows Live: GPS?

Make sure the COM Ports are set up on the same path for both software and the hardware... For the Hardware, go to Start - - -> Settings - - -> System - - -> External GPS... I usally set this to COM 4...

For Live Maps... Go to Menu - - -> Settings and set to COM 4... This is what works for me... Hopefully this works for you too!

69L46 12-10-2008 03:01 AM

I had no problems with live search and gps on my stock sprint touch pro. I didn't change any setting.

If you have the Holux gps viewer (comes w/Holux BT gps receivers) you can ask it to scan com ports for a gps.

My external gps settings are com4 for the program port, none for hardware port, and on the access tab i have the checkbox for windows managing access automatically checked.

a_c_s 12-10-2008 10:23 AM

Ditto for me...I use Sprint Navigation and Windows Live GPS without any modifications to the stock settings...Windows Live is really sleek for GPS...much better than Google maps in my opinion, and the search algorithm is also much better...finds new restaurants/bars, etc, where Google has old information...

There's no way to get Windows Live GPS to talk is there?

themuffinman 12-10-2008 11:47 AM

Same here for me as well, right out the box windows live worked perfect for me as well

aceracer24 12-10-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 570093)
Same here for me as well, right out the box windows live worked perfect for me as well

The windows live that is in the stock rom is already pre configured. When you download windows live, it is not set to the correct GPS driver/com for our phones. There are two options you can choose for the driver/com. The one BigDiesel suggested which is com 4. That is correct for the Touch Pro. The other option you can select is GPS Intermediate Driver. Both will work.

Skelator03 12-10-2008 05:08 PM

got the same problem right now with the new google maps cant get GPS up and going any ideas?

bobby143 12-11-2008 10:57 AM

i have same problem. i have com 4 in setting some time it work some time it dose not. i have clear sky signal.

Skelator03 12-11-2008 01:54 PM

try signing in to SPRINT NAVI first worked for me

dnode 12-19-2008 12:20 AM

I recently bought the Fuze and had been dealing with the slow GPS lock-ons, programs like Google Maps and Live Search not being able to initialize it, etc. What I have found is that the default setting of COM4 is causing these problems for me.

Changing the COM port in the External GPS setting fixed my issue. I'm using COM9 now and it is definitely faster, but I always have to use GPS Test to get the GPS running before using Google Maps or Live Search. But it's better than it not working at all, so here's what I had to do:

1. Start with COM1.

2. Get the GPS Test program, set the GPS setting to AUTO detect which COM port your GPS is using and let it find it.
a. If it finds it, it will initialize and start looking for satellites. Time it to see how fast it takes to get the GPS fully running with 8 satellites.
b. If it can initialize the GPS but takes a really long time to lock-on to 8 satellites, try another COM port. Make sure you reset the GPS setting in GPS Test program back to AUTO, exit then start again.
c. If it skipped over the COM port you assigned, exit, change the COM port and start again.

HTH