PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Texts while roaming (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48374)

filo 12-09-2008 08:20 PM

Texts while roaming

I tend to travel a lot for work and currently I'm in Mexico. Now, of course I'm roaming, no big deal there. I'm okay with the charges for voice and data usage. My question is, is there a way to send and receive text messages?? It's fairly annoying that I can only use texts 1 or 2 weeks of the month as I'm out of the country the other 2 or 3 weeks.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I apoligize, I just realized I submitted this 3 times!

Can someone please delete. Thanks.

skeegcpp 12-09-2008 08:30 PM

Re: Texts while roaming

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48375

gator352 12-09-2008 08:32 PM

I have sent text messages while roaming (in the US), but I'm not sure of the cost as I have free roaming and unlimited text. Does mexico use CDMA or are they GSM? If it's CDMA, you SHOULD be able to send and receive text but not sure of the international text details.

filo 12-09-2008 08:36 PM

Yes, sorry all. I realized I posted this like 3 times!

Anyways, I believe that Mexico is GSM. I've talked to customer service but they are really no help.

I don't really care about the cost of sending or receiving texts. I was just curious if it was possible.

filo 12-09-2008 08:38 PM

I've also read in some obscure forums while googling this issue that some manufacturers lock that feature down, so you cannot txt while roaming. Doesn't seem likely, but I figured if there was a hack or update for it, ppcgeeks would know!

skeegcpp 12-09-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filo (Post 569167)
Yes, sorry all. I realized I posted this like 3 times!

Anyways, I believe that Mexico is GSM. I've talked to customer service but they are really no help.

I don't really care about the cost of sending or receiving texts. I was just curious if it was possible.

lol..i noticed...its all ghud..no worries...but sprint does have coverage in the northern part of the country...so i guess the defining factor is... where you gonna be in mexico??

filo 12-09-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeegcpp (Post 569189)
lol..i noticed...its all ghud..no worries...but sprint does have coverage in the northern part of the country...so i guess the defining factor is... where you gonna be in mexico??

Yes, that's what customer care said. Only the border cities.

Unfortunately I'm usually in Mexico City, so much further south. :disgust:

I guess I just don't really understand why on my old phone -- crappy Katana II -- I could send and receive while roaming, although never tried out of the country, but in the states, even when roaming it was no problem.

Also, I don't understand why they would not allow this, if nothing else, they can just nickle and dime me for more money.

skeegcpp 12-09-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filo (Post 569202)
Yes, that's what customer care said. Only the border cities.

Unfortunately I'm usually in Mexico City, so much further south. :disgust:

I guess I just don't really understand why on my old phone -- crappy Katana II -- I could send and receive while roaming, although never tried out of the country, but in the states, even when roaming it was no problem.

Also, I don't understand why they would not allow this, if nothing else, they can just nickle and dime me for more money.

well, if CDMA isnt avail in a physical area..its not avail...its nickle n dime, jus geographically @$$ed out..if GSM is only avail, gota have a GSM device to work

skeegcpp 12-09-2008 09:18 PM

filo..how long have u had ur fone?? samsung makes sum cdma/gsm pda's..mite wanna upgrade..jus a thot, suggestion

filo 12-09-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeegcpp (Post 569238)
filo..how long have u had ur fone?? samsung makes sum cdma/gsm pda's..mite wanna upgrade..jus a thot, suggestion

Heh, picked up the Touch Pro in early November of this year. So, my upgrade doesn't come into effect for like 2 more years..hehe

I suppose I should have looked this up before I upgraded, no one's fault buy my own.. Just kinda sucks..

I didn't realize there were gsm/cdma phones that could work on both networks.

Thanks for the info.