PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Tethering stopped working (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48328)

dtaylo75 12-09-2008 02:05 PM

Tethering stopped working

Ok, so I made the reg fixes to allow tethering (in my Internet Sharing screen there is a drop-down for "Network" connection where I select "Sprint").

It was working great for a few days. But now when I click "Connect" in ICS, the status just changes to "Check USB cable connection". Now I plug in the phone (via usb) to the PC. The status never changes and it never connects.

I've rebooted both phone and PC and can't get it working again. And I can't really go back to Sprint and complain about this either (;))

When I plug in the phone via USB without ICS started, ActiveSync kicks in and does all it's syncing successfully, so I know the cable is good.

What gives???

cforster 12-09-2008 03:31 PM

Re: Tethering stopped working

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtaylo75 (Post 568342)
Ok, so I made the reg fixes to allow tethering (in my Internet Sharing screen there is a drop-down for "Network" connection where I select "Sprint").

It was working great for a few days. But now when I click "Connect" in ICS, the status just changes to "Check USB cable connection". Now I plug in the phone (via usb) to the PC. The status never changes and it never connects.

I've rebooted both phone and PC and can't get it working again. And I can't really go back to Sprint and complain about this either (;))

When I plug in the phone via USB without ICS started, ActiveSync kicks in and does all it's syncing successfully, so I know the cable is good.

What gives???

I had this happen to me a while back. There might be another fix out there, but I didn't find it. I did a hard reset, and it worked fine again. Have not had a problem since.

If you have bluetooth on the pc, you might try it that way.

dtaylo75 12-09-2008 04:07 PM

I'd hate to have to hard reset! I spend weeks getting my TouchPro configured the way I like, loaded with all the software I use, and to have to lose it all just to fix some stupid bug!!!

Incidently, PDANet works just fine, so conceptually I should be able to use Internet Sharing just as well.

I can't imagine what "broke" it. I even tried creating a brand new "Connection" (that dials #777) and tried that, no luck.

I don't use Bluetooth, and I like the ability to be able to plug my phone into any PC and just start using it's internet... Anybody know a more a fix that isn't so sledgerhammery (hard reset)?

cforster 12-09-2008 04:22 PM

heh, "sledgerhammery" - I'll have to use that word again some day...

dtaylo75 12-09-2008 04:24 PM

FOUND SOLUTION!

Go to Device Manager --> Network Adapters.

There is an entry there called "Windows Mobile-based Device" that was "disabled" somehow. Just enabled that, and my phone (which just happened to be connected to the USB port and Internet Sharing happened to be running) instantly connected!

No idea what caused it to become disabled, but a hard-reset of the Phone would NOT have fixed this, and I'd have to re-install/configure the phone again and still not have Internet Sharing working.

mdphoenix 12-09-2008 04:47 PM

I wonder if VZW is somehow turning this off when they discover people tethering without the tether plan?

basilray 12-09-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdphoenix (Post 568749)
I wonder if VZW is somehow turning this off when they discover people tethering without the tether plan?

You have to pay extra to tether on VZW?

I love Sprint every time I hear about this kind of crap.

jgorm 12-09-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basilray (Post 568905)
You have to pay extra to tether on VZW?

I love Sprint every time I hear about this kind of crap.

Sprint wants me to pay $15 for tethering. Mine stopped working too. I guess i'll try that setting on the pc and see if it works.