PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero 2.1 Sense
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

mellospace is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to keep e-mail on the server

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
when setting the email account up on the phone did you see a screen like this?, if not you have to get to this screen on the phone.
I can get to that screen, only that I don't see any option to keep email on server. Only "delete them off server" or "Send to server trash"...server trash mean it is keeping on the server? Before I could select "keep mail copy on the server" and my email would still be in my inbox, not on some "deleted items" folder trash or anything like that.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellospace View Post
Ok, I just deleted my accounts(2) and set it up with imap...i hope this problem doesn't happen now. But I still see only those 2 options on the phone. I just sent myself a test email and deleted it from the phone, I'll see what happens on my gmail acct. What's the difference anyways between POP and IMAP? Thanks.
imap messages are left on the server by default. POP downloads all messages, including spam. There are advanced settings, you just need to find them. Both on Gmail options, and on your phone. There is a box on the phone to check to delete messages off server when exiting. Or you can leave them on the server.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mellospace is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd144 View Post
imap messages are left on the server by default. POP downloads all messages, including spam. There are advanced settings, you just need to find them. Both on Gmail options, and on your phone. There is a box on the phone to check to delete messages off server when exiting. Or you can leave them on the server.
Ok, this problem still happening. This is what's going on. I just set up my GMAIL accts on my Htc touch pro (IMAP). Everytime I delete one of the email from the phone, it deletes the item from my gmail inbox (online) and put it under a "deleted items" label on gmail. YOu can see the image below. On the left, you will see the new label called "deleted items". My deleted items from the phone will move from inbox to there. Is it supposed to work that way? I would like to keep the emails on my server's inbox, not somewhere else. I had it set up POP, now IMAP and still the samething happened both ways. On the phone, the only settings I have are "delete them from server" or "Move them to server trash", no other option. At the moment, I have it on "Move them to server trash" and it is sending the deleted items to that "deleted items" label on gmail. I guess it's not on gmail's trash, just on "deleted items" label and not on my inbox so I guess unless I delete them from the "deleted items" label, they won't be deleted, i hope. Or will they automatically be deleted from there?

My IMAP setting on gmail are on the pic below, plus you can see the "deleted items" label on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newLabelCreated.JPG (102.5 KB, 8 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by mellospace; 12-09-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work

You will need to find the advanced settings on the mail client for the phone. I got rid of my phone so I am limited, but I did have it the way you are talking about.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMonkey View Post
I use imap for my gmail on my touch. I can check my mail from my phone and they mail is still there and then downloads to outlook when I get home on my laptop. Or check it via web the messages are still in the inbox.
mine does this also. NO matter which option is selected. My outlook will always find the new messages from gmail, even if i delete them.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Ok, this problem still happening. This is what's going on. I just set up my GMAIL accts on my Htc touch pro (IMAP). Everytime I delete one of the email from the phone, it deletes the item from my gmail inbox (online) and put it under a "deleted items" label on gmail. YOu can see the image below. On the left, you will see the new label called "deleted items". My deleted items from the phone will move from inbox to there. Is it supposed to work that way? I would like to keep the emails on my server's inbox, not somewhere else. I had it set up POP, now IMAP and still the samething happened both ways. On the phone, the only settings I have are "delete them from server" or "Move them to server trash", no other option. At the moment, I have it on "Move them to server trash" and it is sending the deleted items to that "deleted items" label on gmail. I guess it's not on gmail's trash, just on "deleted items" label and not on my inbox so I guess unless I delete them from the "deleted items" label, they won't be deleted, i hope. Or will they automatically be deleted from there?

My IMAP setting on gmail are on the pic below, plus you can see the "deleted items" label on the left.
If you check all mail on the gmail account it will still be there, which is why outlook will still download them.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mellospace is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd144 View Post
You will need to find the advanced settings on the mail client for the phone. I got rid of my phone so I am limited, but I did have it the way you are talking about.
Those are the advanced settings on the phone. The only options of what to do with the deleted items are these "delete them from server" or "Move them to server trash".
Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mellospace is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
If you check all mail on the gmail account it will still be there, which is why outlook will still download them.
so are you saying that when it sends the deleted item on the phone to the deleted items on gmail, that gmail will keep those items there until I delete them. Because when I delete them on the phone, they are moved from the gmail inbox to the deleted items folder in gmail and when I click send/receive on the phone, I don't get those items again on my phone so I guess that might be the reason they are moved from inbox.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
so are you saying that when it sends the deleted item on the phone to the deleted items on gmail, that gmail will keep those items there until I delete them. Because when I delete them on the phone, they are moved from the gmail inbox to the deleted items folder in gmail and when I click send/receive on the phone, I don't get those items again on my phone so I guess that might be the reason they are moved from inbox.
that is exactly it. I actually want mine to delete off the server for ever when I delete them from my phone, but no matter which option i select, my main outlook on my computer will always download them now even if i delete them with my touch pro. When I had the mogul it didn't do this, if i deleted them off my phone, outlook at home wouldn't find it. I wonder if this is gmail or the phones, maybe I should activate my mogul and try it.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mellospace is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
that is exactly it. I actually want mine to delete off the server for ever when I delete them from my phone, but no matter which option i select, my main outlook on my computer will always download them now even if i delete them with my touch pro. When I had the mogul it didn't do this, if i deleted them off my phone, outlook at home wouldn't find it. I wonder if this is gmail or the phones, maybe I should activate my mogul and try it.
Ok, thanks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro