PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

flyhigh is keeping up the good workflyhigh is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: VGA touch screen: Larger OK button?

like I said. Night and day difference for me after re-aligning the screen using my thumb instead of the stylus. Give it a try, it's quick and free. Plus it made all other drop down menus and other buttons more accurate for finger pressing as well.

Last edited by flyhigh; 12-09-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: changed re-calibrate to read re-aligning
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh View Post
like I said. Night and day difference for me after re-calibrating the screen using my thumb instead of the stylus. Give it a try, it's quick and free. Plus it made all other drop down menus and other buttons more accurate for finger pressing as well.
Really? Never heard of this. Does it take into account the size of the thumb or something? What about accuracy while using a stylus?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
like I said. Night and day difference for me after re-calibrating the screen using my thumb instead of the stylus. Give it a try, it's quick and free. Plus it made all other drop down menus and other buttons more accurate for finger pressing as well.
All this would do is incorrectly calibrate the screen. Pull out your stylus and see how off it is now. There's a reason why you use the stylus to set the calibration.

By using your thumb to set the calibration, you are offsetting the true calibration--meaning that you will lose sensitivity on either the left, the right, up, or down... There is no real solution to fixing our insensitive borders, because it's a design flaw by HTC. If recalibrating it incorrectly works for you, that's awesome, but personally, it would annoy me all day long to know that I had to "rig" my phone to work because of HTC's mistake.

I think I will just have to live with that annoyance though, since no other carrier has a better offering at this point...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

flyhigh is keeping up the good workflyhigh is keeping up the good work

That's what I thought too. Give it a try though. For whatever reason it works great for me now. I really don't know what to say. I used to be frustrated that I couldn't hit the Task/X/OK button in the top right of the screen consistently. Now it works 10 out of 10 times with my thumb or stylus, it doesn't matter. All other menus work far better now too. Hey, if it doesn't help you out, re-align with your stylus and you've only lost 20 sec. I'm just saying this worked for me. It probably didn't work this way for the right reasons, but it did work for me. The screen just probably needs to be re-aligned maybe 5 times and you should see a difference. I probably just got lucky that it finally calibrated correctly or something but hey, it's flawless now. Check out this thread for more info

Last edited by flyhigh; 12-09-2008 at 03:11 AM. Reason: changed re-calibrate to read re-aligning
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

IrogSinta is a n00b

I've taken to just putting my thumb over the Sprint logo and that works for me 1 out of 2 times. But maybe I'll try that thumb calibration again. I couldn't get it to work for me the first time because it wouldn't accept and kept repeating the calibration.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

I tried the thumb calibration and it seems to have worked. Finger accuracy seems to have improved. Stylus accuracy is still fine, in fact it might have improved. So give it a try, it might help you.

Also I find that adding haptic feedback helps in knowing whether a tap is registered. That alone improved my experience quite a bit.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

IrogSinta is a n00b

Well I found something that works better for me than calibrating with my thumb. It takes so many tries calibrating with your thumb and the stylus ends up being way off. What I did instead was calibrate with the stylus but instead of hitting the center each crosshair I clicked about halfway down the crosshair from center. Now both the Okay button & stylus work great!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

jaydubya is a n00b

Quote:
How does one re-calibrate the screen? Do you mean the "align screen" utility in settings -> system? That doesn't even work for me with thumb presses, have to use the stylus to get it to register.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started

Why don't you just press the Back arrow button (above the End Call) instead? It works just the same.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung SCH-i760
Threadstarter

mobidutch is a n00b

Ehm..wow...I also had this "logical" view of the alignment process, that it would "of course" need to be done with the stylus. But you proved me wrong. I re-aligned with my thumb..problem gone! And stylus still works fine. THANKS!!

Last edited by mobidutch; 12-09-2008 at 03:11 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro