PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch PRo
Carrier: Sprint

loren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone here have the apple IPOD touch or Archos?

Compare that to the HTC Touch Pro?

Sprint doesn't have the touch pro available. And when I used it - it had a good amount of lag when I used it and the web interface doesn't seem as nice as the ipod touch.

Should I just get the ipod touch and a regular phone or can the htc touch pro do everything the ipod touch do? Does it do it better?

I have sprint carrier.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

phillyphill39 is a n00b
Re: Anyone here have the apple IPOD touch or Archos?

touch pro can do everything and more since its a phone. and it would suck to carry two things around since the ipod touch isnt that small and niether is the touch pro. the touch pro you can get bluetooth headphones and use them, the ipod touch you cant, so your stuck with wire headphones not sure if that bugs you. but remember the battery will die a little bit faster on the touch pro if your playing music. the ipod screen is a lot bigger and nice. but ultimately the choice is yours, if you want to spend the money on the ipod touch then ok, but there are some cheaper mp3 players and smaller ones that are good if not better for half the money. ive owned the ipod touch and both iphones and i dont have them anymore. guess that should tell you something about that.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

The devices are not even in the same class ... convergence is a huge issue. I never understood why people would even consider an iPod touch vs. an iPhone or other PDA phone.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i would not get that touch and I own one personally
Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (off that) ---> (on to) Touch Pro 2
Carrier: The Now Network

RockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to RockSta®

You're comparing a smartphone to a mp3 player?......anyway ipod touch uses wifi....touch pro is a phone connected to a network....ummm i really dont get how you compare a phone to a multimedia player.....the only thing i can think of that ipod touch has better is the huge screen and apples name...
Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul and Touch Pro

mdodge is keeping up the good workmdodge is keeping up the good workmdodge is keeping up the good work

Like the others said it is a little tough to compare different classes of devices. However, if you talking straight music playback quality comparison there are a few things to consider. The IPOD of course is designed mostly for music but therein lies its drawback. The TP can do it all. And I know its not just me, but being somewhat of an audiophile, I can't stand any of the IPOD's out of the box sound quality. Throw in the fact that there isn't a custom EQ and it makes it worse. Sure the inteface is easier to use and the battery will last much longer than useing a smartphone.

But with a winmo device, you aren't stuck with the same level of quality. By that I mean all of the different players available for winmo (with custom eq's) and in some cases the ability to use better sound drivers. Case in point, you can install the WOW HD drivers on the touch pro which increases fidelity a good amount.

A good pair of headphones is always key if you concerned with quality. If you really serious about mobile audiophile quality then you will get a headphone amp as well. But comparing the 2, you will ultimately get more use and better sound from a TP than an IPOD if you willing to deal with customizing, worse battery, any possibly a worse interface. Since I want sound quality above all else, I can deal with these. And storage isn't to much an issue since I have a 16GB microsd card to hold my music. I now barely use my IPOD only for my car, which is still easier to use while driving, but considering the EQ's, amps, and high quality speakers I'm outputting to, I can make up for the IPOD's lack of sound quality. Plus with an IPOD you cant play flac or other good lossless audio like I can with a good player on my TP (coreplayer)

Here I'm really only comparing straight music playback of the two. Other feature considerations may apply.

Last edited by mdodge; 12-06-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

r3ferrei is becoming a great contributor

If your looking for devices that you plan on carrying with you, you really went with some large ones. My touch pro is already pretty large as it is.

Personally, I carry a TP as my universal device. Sometimes i use it for music since i can stream internet radio using pocket player as well as having a few gigs of files on it since i dont have much use for the space as it is. My main player is a Zune 8 since its audio quality (and for all Zunes) is much better than the TP as well as any iPods ive connected to my UE's. And its basically unnoticable in my pocket.

I prefer to save my days battery life of my pro for occasional RSS reading and browsing.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

you should probably either go to att and get an iphone or stay with sprint and wait until the touch pro isn't in backordered status... you can browse the web pretty quickly over phones these days, so going to an ipod touch that can only be used with wifi would restrict your surfing usage... but if you're not planning to get a data plan ($15) from sprint then the touch pro will be pretty limited too... in that case getting an ipod may be a good idea for u. i don't know anyone that has a smartphone/ppc like this without a data plan though... unless they have more than one...

or you could always just get the sprint diamond... same thing as the touch pro but without a keyboard and limited internal memory
Old 12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work

I own an Archos 605, and I love my Touch Pro.

The Touch Pro can almost do it all. But in video playback and tv output, the Archos is a full grade above the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is a nice toy in that regards, and it's usable - it works. But the Archos 605 is enjoyable.

That said, I've found web browsing more enjoyable on the Touch Pro - the wifi on the 605 can be spotty. Also, the sound quality is better on the TP than on the Archos - though the newer Gen 5 is supposed to be a big improvement. There's also many programs and aps that aren't available on the Archos.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Lurker

hellfire91 is a n00b

I own the Ipod Touch as well as a vzw touch pro. While they are both excellent devices in my opinon they are not really comparable. The ipod has a 3.5mm out (which the pro is lacking out of the box (for vzw at least)) and superior audio quality and video viewing. If you are not a huge music listener or really concerned about audio quality then you could probably get away with the pro.

However, if you listen to music more than an hour or two per day when away from a power source you'll probably want to get an ipod or other mp3 player. Since the pros battery will be eaten up by music while the ipods wont. (as quickly)

and yes i vouch for an ipod touch, have had one for over a year and love it

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro