PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sracercelica is keeping up the good worksracercelica is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Multiple Apps / Battery

I hate waiting for apps to load up, some are pretty fast (2-3 seconds) but some can take longer (4-10 seconds). I specially hate waiting for the apps I used very often to load. I know that one of the good features of WM is the ability to have multiple apps opened at a time. Therefore I was thinking of leaving all my most used apps opened all the time (google maps, opera, text msg., email, live search). That way I could just switch between them using the task mgr. and wouldnt have to wait for them to load.

However, by leaving these apps opened all the time, will my battery take a big hit? I mean since they would all be in stanby pretty much would the battery drain pretty fast?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

JickBahTech is keeping up the good workJickBahTech is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to JickBahTech
Re: Multiple Apps / Battery

Depends.
If apps are using the data connection your battery life will plummet. For example, I've yet to find a good IM program, that keeps up with alerts, and doesn't tax the battery.

Programs like contacts and calendar shouldn't negatively affect the battery too much.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 4g

FatFrosty is becoming a great contributor

Technical related question: Wouldn't empty ram use just as much juice as occupied ram, granted the ram isn't being accessed/processed?

That was always my understanding, and if this is true then dormant programs that aren't running any processes in the background shouldn't matter.

Sprint
HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro -> Evo 4G
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFrosty View Post
Technical related question: Wouldn't empty ram use just as much juice as occupied ram, granted the ram isn't being accessed/processed?

That was always my understanding, and if this is true then dormant programs that aren't running any processes in the background shouldn't matter.
The cpu doesn't need to maintain any processes located in empty ram. The programs running in the background use up cpu cycles, which results in battery drain. The reason people's phones get warm from heavy use is because of the cpu pulling juice from the battery, which causes resistance. The more juice needed, the more resistance, the more heat. If it gets bad enough, you get a worse effect since warm batteries drain quicker.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
The cpu doesn't need to maintain any processes located in empty ram. The programs running in the background use up cpu cycles, which results in battery drain. The reason people's phones get warm from heavy use is because of the cpu pulling juice from the battery, which causes resistance. The more juice needed, the more resistance, the more heat. If it gets bad enough, you get a worse effect since warm batteries drain quicker.
If you aren't actively using an application, then it really won't pull a drain.

The reason people's phone gets warm is because of the RADIO, not the CPU. Our devices use very little power in PDA-mode.

If you have a data connection open, then your battery will die quickly.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

I tend to close any apps I am not currently using.. I guess it is a habit I picked up from having a Mogul.. An opened unused app might not take much battery juice to keep open, but over a day every bit counts..
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

At work I turn my phone to airplane mode since I have no service anyway. This saves me a ton of battery.

As far as the phone getting warm because of the radio, why does it get warm when I do a large file operation? I'm not saying the radio might not be a cause, but the cpu does get warm as well.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickBahTech View Post
Depends.
If apps are using the data connection your battery life will plummet. For example, I've yet to find a good IM program, that keeps up with alerts, and doesn't tax the battery.

Programs like contacts and calendar shouldn't negatively affect the battery too much.
Tried Palringo?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

Palladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
Ram Refresh is a hardware function, it does not matter whether there is data there or not. So there is no additional power draw just from having the memory in use. Most Properly written programs (i.e. programs that don't poll when idle but actually wait for events when idle) will not use any CPU cycles when their threads are idle hence no additional power draw.

Also, the resistance is there whether power is being drawn or not, it is the current draw that changes (e.g. P = I^2R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
If you aren't actively using an application, then it really won't pull a drain.

The reason people's phone gets warm is because of the RADIO, not the CPU. Our devices use very little power in PDA-mode.

If you have a data connection open, then your battery will die quickly.

Correct on Point 1, I concur on point 2 (I see 60-90 mA MAX when pushing the applications processer extremely hard (with the blacklight OFF), I agree on Point 3.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
Tried Palringo?
I haven't found any IM program I like yet. Oz is the best I've tried, but still leaves much to be desired.

Also, unless you have an intermediate server, leaving connections to AIM or whatever all day WILL drain your battery if they are keeping up on alerts. Every time somebody's status changes, signs on/off, whatever it is going to tell you, which will get your data connection pumping and the CPU ticking.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro