PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   ***Serious GPS Problems (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47759)

trackhouse1 12-04-2008 07:36 PM

***Serious GPS Problems

Hi all
Since i put the hard spl package on my sprint touch pro my gps has stopped working!
sprint nav says i cant get any gps data and the compass in the tools section says no gps

tried google maps and it jus keeps searching for sattelites never to find any, same with live search

does any one know how i can test the gps in the touch pro to see if its even working?

used to work when i was on the sprint network byt now in jamaica on a 1x network

iwannabeused 12-05-2008 12:43 AM

Re: ***Serious GPS Problems

The one thing I tried to do and it worked for me, was to make sure that in the phone options, locate the services tab, then get settings for "Location Settings" make sure it is checked on. Make a phone call or two. Then see if it allows you to locate yourself in google maps. Seemed to have worked for me, but you being in Jamaica may be the issue itself.

leeplaya 12-05-2008 03:51 AM

Not sure if this will help, but try and update the quick gps. I think it expires every 7 days.

Unknown Zone 12-05-2008 04:17 AM

The first thing to check when you can not get a conneciton on gps is your "Location Settings" just what "iwannabeused" posted make sure it is on....even "quick gps" will not work if this setting is "off"

Skelator03 12-10-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Zone (Post 561205)
The first thing to check when you can not get a conneciton on gps is your "Location Settings" just what "iwannabeused" posted make sure it is on....even "quick gps" will not work if this setting is "off"

location settings are on and i have the come port set to 4 in google maps

ShadowDrake 12-10-2008 06:31 PM

Mine also stopped working when I turned the location services off (hint: great way to get the phone exhanged if you bought it in Best Buy or something... turn location services off, and open up google maps/sprint navigation and say "Look! The GPS stopped working, exhange please" :P ...)

My google maps GPS settings are set to "Managed by Windows"

Nagual 12-10-2008 07:39 PM

I've never had it explained why in programs you should change the GPS settings to a COM port, or what it should be...I don't even understand what is meant by "com ports" since this is a phone, not a full PC. Can someone shed light on this?

Skelator03 12-11-2008 01:53 PM

got mine working had to sign in to SPRINT NAVI first

trackhouse1 12-11-2008 02:24 PM

location setting is on and i updated the quick gps but still nothing. strangley the compass in sprint nav is still saying no gps.....is the gps function on the TP somehow dependent on the cell service provider to work?

aceracer24 12-11-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 571024)
I've never had it explained why in programs you should change the GPS settings to a COM port, or what it should be...I don't even understand what is meant by "com ports" since this is a phone, not a full PC. Can someone shed light on this?

On the Diamond and the Touch Pro, com 4 usually works. You have to keep in mind that even though these are phones, it runs Windows Mobile which is....basically Windows OS designed specifically for phones. Devices still need a path to function and thats basically what com ports are.

Really the only time you need to select a com portis if/when there are no alternative options to choose. Google Maps has com ports and a setting " Managed By Windows". Selecting that setting should work. Live Search has com ports and "GPS Intermediate Driver" which should work.