PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

DSGamer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Have a G1, about to give the Touch Pro a second chance, am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoc View Post
FFS, do or don't. Some choices in life require Compromise. I will spell it in CAPS. C O M P R O M I S E.

Spare Battery, check. Car Charger, check. Spare Charger at work, check...
This is a phone. It has to be reliable. In August I was hit by a car while bike commuting to work. My wife had to be called on her cell to know which hospital I was going to. That made it more clear than ever that first and foremost I need a phone. She's a triathlete. She rides her bike long distances. I don't need to find out hours later that she's in a hospital or in trouble because my battery is dead (HTC Touch Pro) or the phone won't work when data is transmitting (G1). I'm not waffling. I'm trying to find a phone that functions a phone first and foremost, but that also has a decent keyboard. I don't want to go back to the Centro, but that's starting to look more likely. That or a Palm 755p.

EDIT: I also need a proofreader.

Last edited by DSGamer; 12-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

First off, take my comments w/ a grain of salt as I do not yet have a Touch Pro and this is all based on observation. I've seen a lot of conflicting reports about battery life, personally. Some complain that their battery life is abysmal, others say they go all day or several days. This really comes down to personal perception and usage patterns. One thing some people may not realize is that a full VGA screen like the Touch Pro will suck the battery life faster than QVGA or HVGA that other phones have. If they do a lot w/ the screen on (even if backlight is set to lowest level), then battery life is going to be shorter than compared to, say, the Titan/Mogul (which is what I have currently and can usually go a full day or two w/o charging). The other factors, are of course Bluetooth and WiFi which everyone should be aware of. What I would recommend, based on what you've said so far, would be to go ahead and get the Touch Pro, and see if you can find a combination of usage pattern and power management settings that fits YOU personally, all others' opinions aside. If, during the 30 days that Sprint gives you to evaluate the phone, you can't seem to get it to work for you, then go with a different phone. These phones are customizable for a reason - what works for one person will not always work for another. And believe me, I know what you're going thru in needing a reliable phone. My wife and I are fighting that battle with Sprint right now trying to get her MotoQ replaced, but that's a story for another time/thread. I wish you the best in your quest.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

It is a computer with a phone in it.

Get a very small phone, that you can buy minutes on. Carry it for emergencies, if things are that important to you. Redundancy is a key to stopping a critical failure. Also, you might be somewhere where your phone won't work, and that has nothing to do with a battery, so your desire as honorable as it sounds, has holes in it.

COMPROMISE. Sometimes, you cannot have it all.

Always remember a new phone's batteries take some time to break in. There is a solution to every single complaint you have. You just need to choose one.

Last edited by Insoc; 12-05-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

The reality, though, is I'm not going to carry two phones on me at all time. I've never had to do that in all the time I've used smartphones. So it would be nice if the one phone I had was reliable.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

It's not called an "on purpose", it's called an accident for a reason, and if I'm in one, I definitely wouldn't have planned ahead for it and carried my emergency phone on me.

The touch pro's battery is pretty concerning. I left my house today with 100% after letting my phone charge with the wall charger over night. When I got to lunch I fired up Kinoma and orb and watched old school for about 45 minutes. When I got back to the office I had 2 bars left.

In other words, you don't plan to need your phone for an emergency, but unless you have a charger near by, only use the phone as a phone. This phone CAN be reliable, if you use common sense in it's use.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

In the case of my accident I had a Palm Centro at the time. I got rid of it because of ergonomics, but the phone was rock solid for me. It could go days without recharging. That includes pushing my GMail at me, surfing the web, calendaring, etc. So I was confident with that phone being able to do a little of what I wanted it to do (calendaring, texting, email) but also holding up well as a phone.

I like that "it's not called 'on purpose'". Indeed.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Then the TP is not the phone you NEED. It is the phone you WANT. HUGE Difference.

You seem to forget COMPROMISE. Have you looked at the OTHER phones Sprint has that have KB? They all have Calander, Email, web, text etc...

Choose the phone that has all your needs, or the one that has something you can do without. You keep putting the TP behind everything, choose it because you want it more then it's weaknesses, or choose another phone.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Insoc; 12-05-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Phreddo is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
The touch pro's battery is pretty concerning. I left my house today with 100% after letting my phone charge with the wall charger over night. When I got to lunch I fired up Kinoma and orb and watched old school for about 45 minutes. When I got back to the office I had 2 bars left.
You streamed video for 45 minutes? that will -murder- any battery, IMHO
Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

He got a TP, this thread is now toast...
Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
You streamed video for 45 minutes? that will -murder- any battery, IMHO
YA streaming under roaming 1x will assassinate,kill,murder,slain,dry hump,epic fail, the battery the phone. It gets soo hot I cant touch it. No lie!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro