PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   TP ROM/software updates - what do you think official support will do for it? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47751)

Nagual 12-04-2008 06:11 PM

TP ROM/software updates - what do you think official support will do for it?

This is my first smart/WM/HTC phone, and I know some folks on here had Sprint Moguls, and other models before.

I never monitored phones besides my own that closely on forums like this, but the impression I got is that the old Touch (at least the Sprint one) started off very problematic in some ways, but got a lot better with ROM/software updates, and of course a lot of tweaking by the tweaker-types as its lifespan went on. Is this true?

Can you give me/us some historical perspective about that, and then bring the discussion into what you think will or can happen with the Touch Pro insofar as official future support from HTC/Sprint/Verizon/etc. ROMs, Windows Mobile updates and so forth?

As I get used to the TP after over a month, I think it really is a damn good device despite its quirks/flaws and am amazed of all its capabilities. I'd just like to get an idea of what we can look forward to (if anything). :)

[sammich] 12-04-2008 06:16 PM

Re: TP ROM/software updates - what do you think official support will do for it?

It's impossible to begin explaining the improvements this site makes to the phone.

This may help:

Mogul when it first came out = Daewoo
Mogul now with custom PPCG stuff = BMW with a Toyota engine

[I say that because it's limited hardware wise]

Nagual 12-04-2008 06:23 PM

Re: TP ROM/software updates - what do you think official support will do for it?

Oh yeah, you know this place made huge improvements in past and present devices. But what I'd especially like to know is, how much of that improvement (if any) came from HTC/Sprint (or other cell co.'s) and Windows official updates for the phone?

hempy 12-04-2008 06:26 PM

Well, on the Mogul, an official update unlocked the gps functionality of the phone. I'd say that's a pretty large improvement, and is probably the most often mentioned.

Nagual 12-04-2008 06:31 PM

Didn't the Mogul also get a massive upgrade to WM 6.1, but it was shipped with an earlier version?

Might the TP get a bump to the next version which is in the works?

Baffles 12-04-2008 07:20 PM

Mogul update also enabled EVDO Rev. A. TP getting officially bumped to the next version of WM or not is a crapshoot, I'd hvae to say we might see WM 6.5 officially, but I doubt we will see wm7 until someone backports it.

[sammich] 12-04-2008 07:23 PM

WM 6.5 is pretty well going to happen on the TP. Official or not.

WM 7 is a possibility, but it depends how much Microsoft pays attention to it while working on Windows 7