PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Data Hog.. How bout you? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47718)

i700plus 12-04-2008 02:43 PM

Data Hog.. How bout you?

I've gone through many cell phones in the past 5+ years I've been with Sprint, from the visor phone to the Hitachi G1000 I've never seen a device use more data than the touch pro. I noticed in the 15 days I had the phone I went through over 980 MB of data with no tethering or anything. I understand that the phone uses a lot of data with You tube.. and
I admit to using it like crazy in the first 15 days I had it but I'm just wondering what other peoples data usage is like with this device in a month.

HBOOT 12-04-2008 02:48 PM

Re: Data Hog.. How bout you?

My cycle ends on the 22nd, I have used about 500MB so far...

rainfreak 12-04-2008 03:26 PM

I run an average of 6-8 GB of data traffic per month on my Diamond, without tethering. Though I admittedly use my Diamond quite a bit to look up info online because I am too lazy to get up and use one of my desktop computers... or get my laptop out and set it up.

Also, I sync with my Exchange server and get an average of 150-200 emails per day, about 10-15% of which have attachments (which I allow to download). I would guess that I answer an average of 30-40 emails per day from my Diamond.

I just ordered a Touch Pro (why not? company is paying for it...) and once I get it, I will let you know if it varies for me on the Touch Pro.

blasphemous_prime 12-04-2008 03:31 PM

I use about between 10 to 15GB a month between the Pro and the U727 (not to go a little off topic), and along with that, I may add a poll to this to make it a bit more interesting.

t0mmyr 12-04-2008 03:36 PM

i use about 3-4gb a month, wife uses about 500mb a month. no tethering

phidong 12-04-2008 03:40 PM

I've only used 70MB so I'm on pace for a blistering ~250MB usage.

I do quite a bit of browsing on the phone with some tether but I usually stick to PIE.

regression 12-04-2008 03:55 PM

I must be a lightweight, this is the last day of my billing cycle and I have used 460 megs.

i700plus 12-04-2008 04:04 PM

So another question... With Sprint I think the data cap is 5GB per month with data cards.... What does sprint do then when we go over that on our phones... So far 2 people say they use over 5gb per month with their TP... If i went over 10 GB a month every month from now on does anyone think sprint would say anything (no tethering of course)

lipidfats 12-04-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i700plus (Post 559569)
I've gone through many cell phones in the past 5+ years I've been with Sprint, from the visor phone to the Hitachi G1000 I've never seen a device use more data than the touch pro. I noticed in the 15 days I had the phone I went through over 980 MB of data with no tethering or anything. I understand that the phone uses a lot of data with You tube.. and
I admit to using it like crazy in the first 15 days I had it but I'm just wondering what other peoples data usage is like with this device in a month.

The newer mobile browsers in conjunction with newer tech in phones these days enable the display of more info faster than ever, so doesn't it make sense that you're gonna eat up data usage a lot quicker than devices from 3-5 years ago? Not to mention we're viewing full web pages now instead of mobile versions... So I don't see why you're shocked at all... i think it's more about the user and less about the device racking up data...
but i use about 1gb without tethering in the first month.. probably gonna average 500mb

samshady 12-04-2008 04:22 PM

I've got 6 days left in my billing cycle and I'm at an errie 666MB of use with little or no teathering. I do use the youtubeplayer app a lot and stream music a few hours a day.