PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: vzw

creedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to creedin Send a message via MSN to creedin
battery life increaser ***Huge***

so i normally charge my phone with the wall outlet and my phone would die by the end of the day (from like 9-9 it would die) from about 7-6ish it would die, well last night i was too lazy to plug it into the wall and just plugged it into my computer. well, i got up this morning, it was all charged went to school at 7 and had a 100% charge till about 10, then had a 90 percent till about 3 then 80% from 3 till 7. I have texted, played games, had apps open, and it is still running strong! maybe a trick?

let me know if this works for others.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Josedogg54 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Josedogg54
Re: battery life increaser ***Huge***

I always thought it was opposite with the PC charging not lasting as long as a wall charge.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Give it more than one day of that treatment before you judge that as the cause. These phones have a habit of inconsistent battery life. With a normal charge my phone can last 'til noon and lose only 30%, or have only 30% left by noon, all with similar usage. You definitely need a test period larger than one day to even suspect this.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

Also try resetting your phone about half a day later and see if the percentage drops dramatically. It could be giving you the wrong reading.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

yeh this makes no sense, and there are far too many variables- mainly the inaccurate battery meter. This is like saying filling up on 92 octane gas in your v6 give you more mpg then 89, its both gas in the end no matter how the tank gets filled its full. The battery is full no matter how you charge it, its not going to lead to longer life by the manner in which you do it.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

A slower (trickle) charge is better than a fast charge. Like if you use 2800mAh AA batteries and charge them in a normal charger (typically 5-6 hours), You will get a substantial life increase over charging them in a fast charger (1 hour or less). I have 3 DSLR's that prove this to be pretty accurate. You can't compare electronic batts to a gas tank. Yeah, full is full, but it's how WELL the cells retain the charge. Trickle charging is a low charge rate that keeps the battery from self discharging, thus maintaining a full capacity charge, cells lose power naturally at a rate of about 1% to 5% a day. So PC charging is more of a trickle charge than using the wall charger so it MIGHT possibly (depending on your average use) give you better battery performance.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

I was under the impression that slow vs. fast charging affects the long-term performance of the battery, not how fast it discharges its current charge.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Diamond

hempy is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
A slower (trickle) charge is better than a fast charge. Like if you use 2800mAh AA batteries and charge them in a normal charger (typically 5-6 hours), You will get a substantial life increase over charging them in a fast charger (1 hour or less). I have 3 DSLR's that prove this to be pretty accurate. You can't compare electronic batts to a gas tank. Yeah, full is full, but it's how WELL the cells retain the charge. Trickle charging is a low charge rate that keeps the battery from self discharging, thus maintaining a full capacity charge, cells lose power naturally at a rate of about 1% to 5% a day. So PC charging is more of a trickle charge than using the wall charger so it MIGHT possibly (depending on your average use) give you better battery performance.
Is this documented to work for dry and li-ion batteries? I know this is definitely true for car/wet batteries. I may have to start doing this.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

My battery life after its break-in period (for either the battery itself, or the meter in the phone, depending on your opinion) has improved since I started using the faster WALL charger more often, instead of the PC.

It's very subjective and I think unscientific to assume that one improves the condition of the battery depending on what you use to charge it, if all you go by is a few days of observed behavior. You usage patterns change along with so many other things, it's very tough to tell.

The only thing I know for sure is that the wall plug charges faster, and that's important to me.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

How often should I let the battery run all the way down? I've had my TP for about 2 weeks now, and I've wondered if I should let it run down...and "refresh" the battery memory?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro