PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
charge over usb?

Hi...

I just got my touch pro (xv6850) and previously had a 6800... I always keep my phone plugged into USB and use the ICS at work and it would always keep the battery charged but on my touch pro it doesn't seem to charge it and the charge continues to go down... I checked in the power options and there is an option to not charge while plugged into PC but this is UNCHECKED... but still USB won't charge the battery even when onscreen indicates it is...

any ideas why this would happen?

thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 12:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dole is becoming a great contributor
Re: charge over usb?

Too many programs running in the background and draining the battery faster than it can charge it, perhaps?
Verizon: Motorola v325

"Make a u-turn, and then, continue"
Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Bad HAL 9000 is becoming a great contributor

One of the reasons that this may be happening is the heat problem. Especially since you are running ICS at work. When the phone gets to hot, it stops charging the battery to protect it from damage. This unfortunatly hurts those of us who want to do what you are doing.

There is currently no fix action available for this. Just try to keep the phone cool when using ICS + charger.

Keep the keyboard open, that seems to help quite a bit. Also stand it on its side or upright so there is less surface area on the table, maybe get a little airflow near it if able. (Desk fan, near a window? anything helps)
Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Is your phone getting really hot? There is a sensor on the phone that prevents the phone from charging if it reaches a certain heat threshold.. Close as many programs as you can..

At the worst... Try a soft reset and then start charging the phone straight after you do it.. Don't open any programs or anything.. After everything boots up, try plugging it in.. If it starts charging, your phone is fine and you just had what Dole is describing...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Threadstarter

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ya it does seem to get pretty warm just from having ics running... didn't realize that would prevent it from charging !!! thats weird... how the heck am I supposed to keep a consistant connection? my 6800 never got this warm from just ics... whole reason I'm not even using the wmwifi thing was because of heat problems.. figured usb would be fine.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Big MVP Diesel

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

Just close every program you have running except ICS.. Also, as Bad said, try keeping it cool.. Keep it away from any heat sources.. I had the 6800.. You are right.. It never had this issue before either..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZ TP2 XV6875

ramborami is keeping up the good workramborami is keeping up the good work

Yea the 6800 didnt get as Hot, as the TP/6850... then again the specs of that phone are much less...

Question: How long does it take your phone to overheat with ICS on?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: pocket
Carrier: sprint

jupiter is becoming a great contributor

i get this problem as well

if my phone is on USB and charging ive had my touch pro actually DIE on me WHILE its plugged up and charging amazing
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Big MVP Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
i get this problem as well

if my phone is on USB and charging ive had my touch pro actually DIE on me WHILE its plugged up and charging amazing
Yeah.. Sadly that is true.. It is a safety factor though.. It is better for the phone to die then for the battery to over heat and explode.. Anyways, if you keep no programs running you should be fine..

The USB charger is not as effective at charging as is using the plug in charger..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro