PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   NewBie Guide To Flashing ROM On CDMA - Sprint PCS Network - & Recommended SW (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47686)

egoldy 12-04-2008 10:38 AM

NewBie Guide To Flashing ROM On CDMA - Sprint PCS Network - & Recommended SW

Just posted this as part of another thread, but thought I'd post it separately so that people could link to it (hopefully, it's of value)..

Newbie Guide To Flashing ROM On HTC Touch Pro On Sprint PCS – CDMA Network.

ALL –

I have an HTC Touch Pro running on the Sprint PCS network and have been curious about the “ROM” issue since I honestly HATED the 3D Touch Flo UI and was looking for ways to improve my experience.

While installing programs like Winterface and others did help, the geek in me wanted to try this ROM Flashing thing (hopefully, without destroying my phone). Unfortunately, following the links around PPCgeeks and all the other sites was VERY confusing. There seems to be conflicting statements as to what to do, which ROM to use, what works, what doesn’t work, etc.. There’s also differences based upon whether you’re running CDMA or GSM, Sprint vs. Verizon Vs. International, etc. To be clear, I am on Sprint, on CDMA, in the US..

I FINALLY was able to flash my phone with some trial and error and thought I’d document my findings for those that are interested. I JUST finished doing this so I’m not sure exactly what benefit I’ve created, but I hope I’ve improved the performance of the machine. As a side note, I STILL hate the 3D touch Flow and will list the programs that I like on the phone.

Let me start by a high level summary of what the key steps are:

Start by getting your phone active synced with a PC and is a 50%+ Battery (this is done so that you can bring back your settings I believe and so you don’t lose anything) I’m assuming this really doesn’t matter if you don’t have anything on the phone you care about.

Then the following steps are needed
1)Download and Load Hard SPL
2)Download New Rom
3)Download RUU.zip and Install ROM
4)Re Activesync your machine

As you read through the steps below, it will tell you what files to get, but make srue you have:
-The necessary files to install Hard SPL
-The RUU.zip file
-The ROM you want.

There are a few different steps with each of these – so let me try and walk you through it:

Step 1: Get Hard SPL up and running on unlocked

I saw many things, but this is what I saw that best explained it:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42503

That link also has the four files that you should download to load HardSPL.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ERICGO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/02/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_037.zip (1.27 MB, 2240 views)
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ERICGO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/02/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_025_MFG.zip (1.28 MB, 301 views)
Raphael_CDMA_Relocker.zip (1.27 MB, 776 views)
SSPLManual_Raphael.zip (655.0 KB, 711 views)

Here are the details from that page (my comments are in <<>>):

There are again two HSPL's (similar scene to Diamond_C).

1. 0.25.MFG for the hackers, because otherwise, it is too old, apparently has splashscreen issues and only 128MB ram. but it has mw, it has rtask, etc. etc. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ERICGO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/02/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
2. 0.37 for other people, this has no screen issues but no MFG commands.

<< I ended up using .37 to keep things simple >>

(the SSPL is based on the MFG but do not use it as such, only use it to get Hard-SPL on the device!)

Instructions:
<< He reminds you that this is ONLY for Sprint/CDMA – don’t use this for others.>>

a) make sure you have .NET framework installed on your PC! if not, get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
b) if you have vista, WMDC update is recommended: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ce-center.mspx

<< I had already done that so no issues for me >>

1)download Hard-SPL package from attachment, extract to an empty folder.
2) it is recommended you download only the Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_037.zip unless you want to tinker with MFG SPL.
3) you must Have Phone Synced with PC in Windows Mobile! << per above >>
4) run Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_037.exe (or maybe 025, if you want to experiment with MFG SPL),
5) follow steps in the RUU, and check on the device for prompts after PC shows loading bar.
6) it should go to tricolour screen now and say 0.25.C-SSPL.
7) SPL flashes, device automatically reboots, job done.
8 ) to confirm you got it installed, go into bootloader mode (tricolour screen!) and verify the screen shows 0.37.CMONEX (or 0.25.CMONEX MFG).

NOTE: you will not see the SPL version during normal boot, that is the OS version, not SPL!
to enter bootloader mode to see version: with the device turned on, press and hold the volume down button along with the power button, then press the reset button with the stylus tip, then release the volume down and power buttons when bootloader tricolour screen appears.

NOTE 2: anyone having problems with the device entering SSPL automatically, please copy SSPLManual.exe from the SSPLManual.zip attachment to the device and run it. then once the screen is in SSPL, run RUU manually. i.e. you run the RUU on the PC, if it isn't obvious.

NOTE 3: this is unsigned Hard-SPL. no limitations on flashing ROMs or radio packages. also, this has overwrite protection, if someone needs to revert to stock SPL for warranty reasons, a stock SPL downgrade package is also available here.

NOTE 4: do not use this RUU to flash anything else! this is only intended for flashing the Hard-SPL.

NOTE 5: use Relocker *only* if you need to return the phone for warranty. only use it as last step - after reflashing stock OS and radio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files
Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_037.zip (1.27 MB, 2240 views)
Raphael_CDMA_HSPL_025_MFG.zip (1.28 MB, 301 views)
Raphael_CDMA_Relocker.zip (1.27 MB, 776 views)
SSPLManual_Raphael.zip (655.0 KB, 711 views)
-

<< In the end, I didn’t seem to be able to get it into bootloader mode manually initially so here’s specifically what I did:

- Plugged phone in, active sync
- Ran SSPLManul
- Unzipped and ran the HSPL_037 file

Which loaded the HardSPL onto my machine… >>

Step 1 complete.

Step 2: Pick a ROM, Download It, and Install It

Now this was also fairly confusing as I got pointed many different places.. There is a ROMeOS ROM, one by KAOS, etc., Raphael something, etc.

I had a conversation with one person (see this link) http://www.smartphonejunkie.com/show...151#post316151

That recommended that I wait for KAOS’ ROM..

I was going to do that, but found this:

http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/

which seemed to be complete and ready – so I was willing to give it a go.

I also did some searching on youtube and found some videos by Kaos’ (search on youtube for KOAS ROM) Seems like a smart guy, but a little on the wild side. I wanted to improve performance of this for business and fun – and was hoping that the NUEROM was ok.

As of now, I used this:

In the end, I ended up downloading NueROM-S Touch Pro 217
217, Standalone Package (.rar) | 103.35 MB | 868 downloads
Download this file.

Step 3: Download RUU.zip and Install ROM

Overall, there seemed to be a variety of documents explaining how to actually flash the phone..

I found this one early on, but it NEVER worked for me. I think it’s for a different network or phone. I’d avoid it if I was you, but it was written well and linked to often.

http://lievenvw.wordpress.com/2008/0...-a-custom-rom/

In the end, I found this:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43266

The key thing you’re going to want from that site is the RUU.zip file..

Here are the details from that site:

How to Flash Via PC:

1.download the ruu.zip attachment
2.unzip to your desktop
3.then in the newly created RUU directory add the rom of your choice - (copy the RUU_Signed.nbh to desktop\RUU)
4.Place phone in bootloader mode (power button while holding volume down button)
<< NOTE: THIS NEVER WORKED FOR ME. See below >>
5.open the ROMUpdateUtility.exe
6.follow the RUU on screen instructions from there

If that fails please trying these directions (thanks sn0b0ard)

1. Establish active sync connection (this is the most important step).
2. Copy the RUU_signed.nbh into the RUU folder.
3. Run ROMUpdateUtility.exe and follow the steps on screen to flash ROM.
4. Once the phone reboots, go through Windows Mobile setup and let it finish.
5. Perform a hard reset (hold power, volume down, and center d-pad).
6. Complete the Windows Mobile setup and start using your new ROM!

Flash from microSD Card (Thanks to MadlyAlive):

1. Make sure you backup anything that is necessary to your day to day operations! At a minimum, please perform an ActiveSync to Outlook or your Exchange server prior to flashing!
2. Rename the custom ROM NBH file from RUU_Signed.nbh to RAPHIMG.nbh
3. Copy RAPHIMG.nbh to the root of your microSD Card.
4. Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously. While you're still holding those 2 buttons, press the reset button with your stylus.
5. When your Touch Pro tells you to do so, press the power button to begin the flash process. If you do not get the message to press the power button to flash, there is a mistake in the name of the NBH file or you do not have the file at the root of your microSD card.
6. When flashing is complete, perform a soft reset.

Attached Files
RUU.zip (530.0 KB, 1093 views)

I ended up following the instructions to flash from my PC.

-Downloaded RUU.zip
-Extracted to a single directory
-Copied the NUEROM into that directory
-Got the phone into bootloader (see below)
-Ran ROM Update Utility
-And it started rolling!

Comments on getting into bootloader:

I read various things on the HTC Touch Pro about how to get it into bootloader. Varying methods seemed to include:
- Hold down the volume down and press the reset
- Hold down the volume down and then the power button
- Run the Manual SSPL (which is what I did to load HardSPL)

You can even see in the explanation provided above, that he says to just hold down the volume down and press the power button. This NEVER worked for me.

In the end, I went back to this:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42503
Which said to : Enter bootloader mode to see version: with the device turned on, press and hold the volume down button along with the power button, then press the reset button with the stylus tip, then release the volume down and power buttons when bootloader tricolour screen appears.

That finally worked for me. I may have been able to run the ROMUpdateUtility after running Manual SSPL, but I never had to do that.

Step 4: Run Active Sync and it was up and running.

I honestly don’t know what I’ve improved or done, except that I like to finish what I started, and I got it done

Recommended Additional Software

I thought I’d also let people know what add-ons I found great for my phone. As a starting point, realize that I hate the 3d Touch Flo software. I found it quirky and useless on almost ALL levels. Not sure why people like it, I don’t. I almost returned the phone until I found the SPB Mobile Shell Software and a few others that made the phone SO much more useful for me. I need to reinstall the following below as they were killed after I did the ROM Update process.

I also wanted something that I could ideally use with one hand without being forced to pull out the stylus anytime I needed to access information.

Ok, onto my recommendations:

Mobile Shell:
- As a whole, I recommend all the SPB software: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/?en

- I really did like the SPB Mobile Shell software, along with Pocket Plus and SPB Phone Suite. However, in the end, I found Vito Technologies Winterface software: http://vitotechnology.com/vito-mobile-shell.html . I found this to be more flexible – unlimited pages, mixture of programs and contacts. It has some quirks that I hope the developer will fix, but I’m buying that.

SMS
- The SMS software that comes with the phone is not bad, but I really like the SMS chat software from Vito Technology. Definitely worth checking out. Just easier to see the threads and send messages and better notifications. Biggest complaint is that it’s very slow to load. Not 100% sure if I’m buying this yet,

Contacts / Ringers / Images:
- I wanted something that did a better job with contacts – finding them, displaying details, ideally with one hand. I found a few that I liked, but in the end, I chose PhotoContacts. Pro. http://www.pocketx.net/smartphone/photocontacts.html . In addition to providing much better views and access to contacts, it also does personalized MP3 ringers (similar to Ringo and others… I”ll definitely be buying this.

Hand Motions. :
- I found a program called FtouchSL - http://www.ftouchsl.com/. I like to be able to more quickly close programs and access key programs. I like FTOuch for n othing more than the ability to program a upward swipe of my finger to close a program.

Back-UP Software
-SPB Backup – clean and good

Profiles:
-PhotoContacts does a nice job with profiles, but I wanted a good way to access Bluetooth / wireless / etc. and turn it off and on. Best software I found for that was SPB’s Phone Suite.

Few others definitely worth installing:
-Google Maps (obviously)
-Gyrator (not sure if I”ll keep it, but a nice way to have the phone rotate)
-SPB Insight.

I’m hoping that the ROM install improved my GPS and I was going to try and find the Tom Tom or some other better UI .

I hope this helped – I wanted to document this as much for me as for everyone else..

Mr. X 12-04-2008 10:50 AM

Re: NewBie Guide To Flashing ROM On CDMA - Sprint PCS Network - & Recommended SW

Well done, the pictures are not working though :)

egoldy 12-04-2008 10:51 AM

Re: NewBie Guide To Flashing ROM On CDMA - Sprint PCS Network - & Recommended SW

Sorry about the pictures - they're just images of the files I downloaded. Go to the links I provided and download the files there.

flyers2114 12-04-2008 11:38 PM

Nice tutorial.....=D&gt;

BigDiesel07 12-05-2008 10:45 PM

Very nice and detailed tutorial!

Rican 12-06-2008 04:57 PM

Thank You soo much, just what I needed. I've been reading a lot lately and this is definitely the cleanest one when it comes to roms.

BigDiesel07 12-08-2008 01:27 PM

I will be using this guide to refer to if anybody needs help flashing to Sprint

Justin311 12-08-2008 03:57 PM

I was scared to try this until your tutorial. I am definitely going to try it now as my phone is slow as dogsnot!

Justin311 12-23-2008 06:36 PM

Thanks again for the tutorial, I followed it and it worked great, I am now moving into the "techie" realm of this phone :p

edev 02-13-2009 03:46 PM

I did the Sprint to Alltel ROM change. Unfortunately I was not able to activate it via air nor manually with Alltel.

Any ideas? This is a new phone, never been activated.