PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Palladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BattLog Results Reports and Discussion

After several requests, I thought I would start a thread where we can discuss in one place the battery usage results from the BattLog program which you can find here (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...382#post511382).

Please lets keep this on topic and stick as best we can to facts. The idea is to identify what usage activities are actually resulting in shorter battery life, and what can be done to mitigate the issues whether it be a change in personal usage patterns, or a request to HTC or others to mod the software or provide new hardware settings to address the issues that some are seeing.

Speculation has run rampant since the release of the TP and What we need is hard information that either shows people are having problems or that it is an issue of perception and unreal expectations.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Re: BattLog Results Reports and Discussion

I just started a test. I cannot find my old one, that had a peak draw of 850ma, unfortunately.

When I did that test, originally, I had 60% signal. I wonder what will happen here, with 19% signal.

edit: here is the benchmark test... my phone was fully-charged before I started. (it might be nice for your benchmark to incorporate that as well, just in case charging mA is included in the overal mA.

BattLog Power Usage Benchmark
Average Signal (1xRTT):............26.55169
Average Voltage:...................3.515356
Data:
Peak Current:....................758
Average Current:.................628.2626
Total Power usage (mAH):.........52.52971
Total Power (WH):................15.3883786088944
Peak Battery Temp (deg C):.......31
Average Battery Temp (deg C):....28.01855
Phone:
Peak Current:....................740
Average Current:.................443.4802
Total Power usage (mAH):.........156.4099
Total Power (WH):................183.278808118361
Peak Battery Temp (deg C):.........31
Average Battery Temp (deg C):....29

Charger Connected:.................1570
Time Charging:.....................1570
Estimated data time (H)............2.132866
Estimated Talk time (H):...........3.021555

Last edited by ScrapMaker; 12-04-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Palladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That is very similar to what I have seen, I will do a new test later today (Once I quit bouncing around multiple airports...), I have so many log files on my touch pro from debugging the application, I really don't know which one is which, but I have seen very similar numbers to what you are seeing.

From a combination of this benchmark and the log, it is clear that the major power draw is the transmitters, which is not a real surprise, BUT the magnitude of power draw versus what is being transmitted out of the unit does surprise me (maximum transmitting power is 0.25W according to HTC submission to the FCC) whereas we are using 2 - 4 W to get that transmission power which does not make a lot of sense.

As far as the charging current, the Current number does not include charging current, just the draw of the battery.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Unfortunately, I have experienced a constant here. The phone locks up overnight, no matter what, when running the log.

I have tried the SD card, and main memory. I was able to log ALL day, without the phone crashing, but once the phone sits idle for too long, it crashes. I have a 3MB file from yesterday, (1-second intervals,) but I am afraid to open it
Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
Unfortunately, I have experienced a constant here. The phone locks up overnight, no matter what, when running the log.

I have tried the SD card, and main memory. I was able to log ALL day, without the phone crashing, but once the phone sits idle for too long, it crashes. I have a 3MB file from yesterday, (1-second intervals,) but I am afraid to open it
I have not been able to reproduce this yet, However, could you drop the logging interval to 5 seconds and repeat and see if the phone locks up. When I do this on mine, the sluggishness of the wake up disappears.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladium View Post
I have not been able to reproduce this yet, However, could you drop the logging interval to 5 seconds and repeat and see if the phone locks up. When I do this on mine, the sluggishness of the wake up disappears.
I set it to 10

I decided a 2MB file was too damn large
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

So here are some interesting results... this has concreted my decision NOT to keep this phone afterall.

12/8/08 2:55:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 4.169v, 330ma, 31.27C, 100%, PhoneCallTalking = 1
Starting weekly conference call
12/8/08 2:57:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 4.158v, 687ma, 30.35C, 100%, ActiveApplication = Phone 
Phone is active
12/8/08 3:32:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 4.007v, 577ma, 26.93C, 100%, ActiveApplication = Phone Text Messages
I responded to a text message--went back to phone
12/8/08 3:40:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 3.919v, 487ma, 26.30C, 255%, PowerBatteryState = 1
Phone turns itself off, because it stops charging. Screen went off, and circle indicator went off. I tried unplugging it, and pressing the power button--nothing made it charge again. The phone was really hot, despite the readings here. (I think this logger has inaccurate temp readings.)
12/8/08 3:58:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 3.915v, 594ma, 27.07C, 80%, PhoneCallTalking = 0
In one hour's time, The phone drained 20% while on the charger. I wish my call lasted longer, because this is when it starts to drain FAST. Another 20 minutes and it would have been down to 60%.

This is totally unacceptable and deserves a recall. I wasn't using Bluetooth, and I was using the WIRED headset. It didn't even have to power the damn earpiece.

It makes me sick to my stomach that such an expensive phone can be released with such a huge problem. All 6 of mine have done this.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
So here are some interesting results... this has concreted my decision NOT to keep this phone afterall.

12/8/08 2:55:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 4.169v, 330ma, 31.27C, 100%, PhoneCallTalking = 1
Starting weekly conference call
12/8/08 2:57:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 4.158v, 687ma, 30.35C, 100%, ActiveApplication = Phone 
Phone is active
12/8/08 3:32:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 4.007v, 577ma, 26.93C, 100%, ActiveApplication = Phone Text Messages
I responded to a text message--went back to phone
12/8/08 3:40:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 3.919v, 487ma, 26.30C, 255%, PowerBatteryState = 1
Phone turns itself off, because it stops charging. Screen went off, and circle indicator went off. I tried unplugging it, and pressing the power button--nothing made it charge again. The phone was really hot, despite the readings here. (I think this logger has inaccurate temp readings.)
12/8/08 3:58:00 PM, AC_LINE_ONLINE, 3.915v, 594ma, 27.07C, 80%, PhoneCallTalking = 0
In one hour's time, The phone drained 20% while on the charger. I wish my call lasted longer, because this is when it starts to drain FAST. Another 20 minutes and it would have been down to 60%.

This is totally unacceptable and deserves a recall. I wasn't using Bluetooth, and I was using the WIRED headset. It didn't even have to power the damn earpiece.

It makes me sick to my stomach that such an expensive phone can be released with such a huge problem. All 6 of mine have done this.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to read the temperature of the CPU/Chipset. So we are stuck with only the battery temperature (which does not seem to track well with usage when on the charger).

Obviously something other than the battery temperature is causing the charging to shut down. It would appear that the power managment system begins shutting down components in order to reduce operating temperature of either the power managment IC or the cpu or Transmittter.

I don't know if your experience is like mine, but I only have thermal issues when the phone or data radios are active. I can push the CPU/PDA portion as hard as I like with No temperature Issues.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

thesfactor is keeping up the good workthesfactor is keeping up the good work

Same here Palladium...I don't have thermal issues until and unless I'm talking on the phone/radios are active. This thermal issue seems to shoot up a notch if I have the phone plugged into the charger, thus contributing to the battery drain.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesfactor View Post
Same here Palladium...I don't have thermal issues until and unless I'm talking on the phone/radios are active. This thermal issue seems to shoot up a notch if I have the phone plugged into the charger, thus contributing to the battery drain.
That is one caveat that I left out of my previous post. If the unit is in anything but sleep mode (i.e. drawing any more than 20-30 mA current) then I see the temperature rise as well when hooked to the charger. I don't know if it is related to the power management chip or what (It appears to be).

The troubling thing (which I posted in the battery life thread) is that the LG phones based on the GSM chipset (MSM72xx) Does not have battery life or temperature issues, but the HTC phones based on the same chipsets do.... Leads me to believe that it is an implementation issue that HTC needs to address.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro