PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Graphics Performance issues? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47602)

BigDiesel07 12-03-2008 05:38 PM

Graphics Performance issues?

An interesting article says that the HTC Touch Pro and the Diamond both suffer from poor graphics performance..

Quote:

Unfortunately the latest HTC devices devices with Qualcomm MSM7201A chipsets suffer from poor graphics performance.
More exactly, game experience and video performance are affected.
Also, this over at XDA has some good information..

Do you suffer from video playback issues? Does your gaming experience not equate in Nirvana?

If you want great insight into Qualcomm processors, HTC, chipsets, and features, check this out.. Very interesting read!

aceracer24 12-03-2008 05:58 PM

Re: Graphics Performance issues?

Oh brother...is this going to turn into another HTC lawsuit that won't go any where but will have a huge cult following with gobs of people swearing to never buy another HTC phone again until the next HTC phone comes around??

If I want video, I buy a video player. If I want games, I buy a PSP. What I have is a phone...a phone lol. It does movies ok and does some games ok. I am rather happy.

BigDiesel07 12-03-2008 06:10 PM

I am not interested in starting a lawsuit.. I was reading the article linked to above and was intrigued enough to ask people if they thought they had the same issues..

[sammich] 12-03-2008 06:16 PM

So have we been able to establish if this is REALLY hardware or software? Because I thought the patent issues between Qualcomm and Broadcom were settled.

hibby50 12-03-2008 06:17 PM

ive been watching family guy and stand by me on core player and it is niceee

BigDiesel07 12-03-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 557768)
So have we been able to establish if this is REALLY hardware or software? Because I thought the patent issues between Qualcomm and Broadcom were settled.

From all that I read, it is still up in the air as to whether it is software or hardware related.. I think software.. A driver update would probably fix it.. It usually solves issues for graphic cards on computers... I don't believe this is an issue between Qualcomm and Broadcomm... But you are right.. The patent issues have been settled..

[sammich] 12-03-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 557775)
From all that I read, it is still up in the air as to whether it is software or hardware related.. I think software.. A driver update would probably fix it.. It usually solves issues for graphic cards on computers... I don't believe this is an issue between Qualcomm and Broadcomm... But you are right.. The patent issues have been settled..

Eh... Economically HTC is trying to save money which is natural for all businesses. Their thought process is probably something similar to this:
'So should we pay Tom & Co. the $260k they want to finish the graphics drivers?'

'Nah, no one will notice. People are not going to be playing games or watching movies enough to be bothered by it'

mxl180 12-03-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 557771)
ive been watching family guy and stand by me on core player and it is niceee

when I first installed TCPMP.. video lagged a bit. Coreplayer was able to play with without the lag. I'm assume it's the updated codecs.

aceracer24 12-03-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 557751)
I am not interested in starting a lawsuit.. I was reading the article linked to above and was intrigued enough to ask people if they thought they had the same issues..

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was hammering you. We just went through all of this with the Touch and similar devices. It's like Deja Vu all over.

dr g 12-03-2008 06:33 PM

Video performance is dismal on this device, and compares horribly to devices over 4 years old now. While it won't have me returning my TP, it absolutely kills me to have hardware potential deliberately untapped for economic reasons. Heck if they CHARGED for the drivers as an add on, I'd consider paying.

I certainly will be looking at this issue with a more discerning eye in the future when it comes time to replace this handset.