PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Touch Pro suffer from Graphic Performance issues?
Yes- It's an issue that needs to be fixed 113 57.07%
Yes- But it's not that big of an issue 29 14.65%
No- It's not an issue for me 56 28.28%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Graphics Performance issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Eh... Economically HTC is trying to save money which is natural for all businesses. Their thought process is probably something similar to this:

'So should we pay Coz & Co. the $260k they want to finish the graphics drivers?'

'Nah, no one will notice. People are not going to be playing games or watching movies enough to be bothered by it'
haha... Yeah.. Too bad.. As I see it.. The Touch Pro and the Diamond are the flagship offerings that HTC has in the United States right now.. I know they have the HTC HD and the HTC Max, but until those are released in the US for public consumption, I just don't see why they would not want the maximum potential of their flagship phone's realized..

I know HTC makes a lot of phones, not even including contracted work like the G1, but it is better to be at your 100% with fewer phones than 85% with a whole swath of offerings..

In the long term, the benefits will outway the costs... It may cost them $260k or whatever to have great graphic drivers, but its better than becoming known for having sub-par graphics on your high-end flagship phones..

What I find interesting is that HTC is not the only company that utilizes the ARM11 processor chipset, yet they are the only one that seems to have well-known graphic-related issues...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post

What I find interesting is that HTC is not the only company that utilizes the ARM11 processor chipset, yet they are the only one that seems to have well-known graphic-related issues...
And the only ones that seem to have the ability to make appealing phones =]
Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxl180 View Post
when I first installed TCPMP.. video lagged a bit. Coreplayer was able to play with without the lag. I'm assume it's the updated codecs.
Coreplayer has reverse-engineered code that helps, but is nowhere near what it could be with real support from the manufacturers and makers.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
Oh brother...is this going to turn into another HTC lawsuit that won't go any where but will have a huge cult following with gobs of people swearing to never buy another HTC phone again until the next HTC phone comes around??

If I want video, I buy a video player. If I want games, I buy a PSP. What I have is a phone...a phone lol. It does movies ok and does some games ok. I am rather happy.
Well that's not entirely true. It's a WM device first and foremost. We don't deal with all the quirks of WM because we want a phone ... we want a multifunction device capable of a lot of things.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was hammering you. We just went through all of this with the Touch and similar devices. It's like Deja Vu all over.
It's okay Ace.. I know you were not meaning anything other than your opinion... Sadly your right.. It is Deja Vu all over.. Hopefully this is the last of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
And the only ones that seem to have the ability to make appealing phones =]
That is true... The Sony Ericsson X1, the G1.. They contract both of those phones...They do make some not-so-appealing phones too..
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
Well that's not entirely true. It's a WM device first and foremost. We don't deal with all the quirks of WM because we want a phone ... we want a multifunction device capable of a lot of things.
We also deal with WM because it's highly customizable. I agree to an extent that we all want a multifunctional device capable of many things...but in reality, there are very few things in life that are great at everything. It just doesn't happen. If you want true video capability, you don't go and buy a WM phone...you buy a dedicated video player. Same for playing games.

Of note, since we did already go through this with the Touch, why would anyone buy another HTC phone without verifying the capabilites first? It's like we don't learn from our mistakes...we need that cheese!!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

Quote:
We also deal with WM because it's highly customizable. I agree to an extent that we all want a multifunctional device capable of many things...but in reality, there are very few things in life that are great at everything. It just doesn't happen. If you want true video capability, you don't go and buy a WM phone...you buy a dedicated video player. Same for playing games.

Of note, since we did already go through this with the Touch, why would anyone buy another HTC phone without verifying the capabilites first? It's like we don't learn from our mistakes...we need that cheese!!
The Touch Flo interface swept us off our feet... lol
Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:

There have been WM devices YEARS ago that blew the TP away in graphics performance, so the cake can be had and eaten too ... The current level of graphics performance represents a regression.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
There have been WM devices YEARS ago that blew the TP away in graphics performance, so the cake can be had and eaten too ... The current level of graphics performance represents a regression.
That is true... Look at the video's in this post... It shows the TP getting beat by phones from 2004...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If the omnia was on sprint i wouldve bought that. HTC is just too dominant in the US market.... Im one of the people that promised not to buy another htc after the mogul, but theres just no other options.

Literally, im BEGGING another company to TAKE MY MONEY! Asus, samsung, anyone that makes winmo! These phone are getting destroyed by the competition, just give me a cdma winmo thats non htc and i'll STFU!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro