PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint ROM no TOUCHflo 3d!?

i can confirm this, I don't have a link but I do have many folders set up on my phone to circumvent the issue. WM handles folders a ton more efficiently then files so when I have things like collections of music, I have them organized in folders within folders rather than one music folder, it actually affects the playback if I don't. the music will play choppily. (though it is a TON of files)
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I can believe that for media players (esp. WM player) because it's constantly keeping track of playlists and files... and partly because WMplayer is not that intelligent.

but I'm wondering if simply getting rid of TP3D would really speed up the TP noticeably versus just disabling it.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

Ranger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't have a link...... Think of it like this, when a program queries the windows directory it has to wait for all the files to be displayed in there. Now it has to overlook a LARGE number of files. Its kind of like a super disorganized registry. And I have tried this rom and yes opening windows components such as the Program files folder and settings and what not is quite a bit faster than a rom with touch flo in it. The fact of the matter is ask a rom maker such as No2Chem, they try to clean up "Junk" in the windows folder because it slows down the PPC.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger093 View Post
I don't have a link...... Think of it like this, when a program queries the windows directory it has to wait for all the files to be displayed in there. Now it has to overlook a LARGE number of files. Its kind of like a super disorganized registry. And I have tried this rom and yes opening windows components such as the Program files folder and settings and what not is quite a bit faster than a rom with touch flo in it. The fact of the matter is ask a rom maker such as No2Chem, they try to clean up "Junk" in the windows folder because it slows down the PPC.
What ROM are you using? I have tF3D installed on my TP but it is disabled. When I select Programs from the start menu it comes up almost instantaneously. When I select Settings from the start menu it comes up fast too. I'm not sure how much faster it can get.

I'm open to change my opinion but I am still skeptical.... I'd like to see some numbers/data to be convinced that totally removing TP3D from the ROM is noticeable faster than simply disabling it.

No2Chem's ROMs were famous for their speed on devices with little memory like the Mogul. There it made a huge difference. I believe the TP is quite different in that it has plenty of internal memory. And I don't think No2Chem has a TP ROM.

Last edited by x10guy; 12-03-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

Ranger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Its not the Memory aspect....... Its the fact that the windows directory is bloated. Try opening the windows directory on your phone. Then install this rom and open it. It opens it 3x faster. Manilla is a pig. For instance Load up your pc HDD with lots and lots of files filler ones or what not. Then slap them on your desktop or something. Make like 400 files. You will notice a difference. No matter how Leeb your pc is, (I do game Just so you know) so i do have a good computer.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Its not the Memory aspect....... Its the fact that the windows directory is bloated. Try opening the windows directory on your phone. Then install this rom and open it. It opens it 3x faster. Manilla is a pig. For instance Load up your pc HDD with lots and lots of files filler ones or what not. Then slap them on your desktop or something. Make like 400 files. You will notice a difference. No matter how Leeb your pc is, (I do game Just so you know) so i do have a good computer.
Yes opening your Windows directory will be slower with more files but that is one specific action by one program, namely File explorer. How often do people normally open their Windows folder with File Explorer in an average day?

All I'm saying is that in everyday normal activities, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference in speed. Again, I'm open to change my opinion but I'd like to see hard numbers to show it.

But bottom line is that it doesn't seem like anyone is going to convince you otherwise, so you might as well go ahead and flash a ROM without TP3D and this thread can be closed.

Last edited by x10guy; 12-03-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Anyone who wants to test the theory can use a ROM without any of the oem junk, without touchflo, without the Touch Pro Dialer files and without the help files that are found in the "windows" folder.

Once you remove that stuff, the phone will boot much faster. Also anytime you have to access the Windows folder, you will wait less. Granted, this is only noticed (from what i can tell) during these two actions, but for some its worth it.

Normal phone function should not be that much different.

This was the way that ol school chefs cut the 6700 boot time (which was horrendous) almost in half.

The Touch Pro does have tons of memory, but ANY windows OS sucks at opening folders with a large amount of files in them. Windows Mobile (unfortunately) is no different.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!

Last edited by slypher; 12-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
Yes opening your Windows directory will be slower with more files but that is one specific action by one program, namely File explorer. How often do people normally open their Windows folder with File Explorer in an average day?

All I'm saying is that in everyday normal activities, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference in speed. Again, I'm open to change my opinion but I'd like to see hard numbers to show it.

But bottom line is that it doesn't seem like anyone is going to convince you otherwise, so you might as well go ahead and flash a ROM without TP3D and this thread can be closed.
LOL, you beat me to it

-s
Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Actually I just opened up my windows folder and it took all of 1 whole second to open up and list all the files, on my mogul well thats a different story. Maybe the OP has a defective unit or something, I just don't see how my pro can get significantly faster than what it already is.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:27 AM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
When the windows folder is bloated it slows down your device to hell. Windows mobile has a HORRIBLE file system and is not organized whatsoever. I hope they redo it in windows mobile 7
ok not totally true but not false if you think of it your ppc takes a while to open the windows directory because it first has to gather the files and then render them to the correct images now the more you have in the directory the longer it takes to render however as far as slowing down the device itself nak its not that its the consumption of the memory being used and I have had the titan and I must say there is enough memory in the touch pro to support manilla, chocolate, and whatever else

Quote:
No not entirely true either

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro