PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6850
Carrier: sprint

Justin311 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user? :)

I know just enough to get in trouble with the pro. Basically the main things I've added to it are listed below (see attachment), and I've disabled TF3D in lieu of ilauncher for personal preference.

But ever since i've really started using it, especially for texting, it is VERRRRY laggy. I slide the keyboard open and start typing, and it literally takes 3-5 seconds for my inputs to show up on the screen. Even half way thru a text message, if I type semi-quickly, the screen lags 7-10 characters behind what I'm actually typing. I'm not sure if it was like this before I added the programs to it, so I don't know if I've caused it.

Add to this, the programs seem to move like molasses when they're loading...sometimes half the screen will be my contacts list and the other half is whatever program I had open. It'll stay like that for 3-5 seconds then self correct - and in the meantime won't respond to any button or screen inputs. I have to soft reset about every 2-3 days to get the thing moving again. I don't remember my 6700 being ANYWHERE near this slow, and this is supposed to be the new and improved model, right?

So I'm wondering if I've done something wrong with the programs I've loaded, if I need to apply some of your guys' "tweaks" (like a custom ROM kitchen thing?) to speed it up, or if the device is just super slow and I need to get used to it. Any help is appreciated but step-by-step instructions are probably required as I don't know a ton about this phone but can easily follow instructions. I'm also afraid to lose all my contact information and pictures and stuff if I "unlock" the phone to add a ROM if thats necessary. Any ways around that?

Thanks in advance for guiding a newbie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg programs.jpg (84.5 KB, 20 views) Click for barcode!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

osva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good work
Re: Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user

lag issues.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46292

Last edited by osva; 12-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user

You can use Active Sync to back up all your contact information and your pictures and stuff.. Go here to download it or for more info.. Which model do you have? Verizon or Sprint? If you want to apply some tweaks to increase the speed of your phone, I would look here... Some of the programs you have might be causing the problems..
Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Unfortunately I can't use Outlook on my computers, its a work thing, we're all Lotus Notes I think I need to breakdown and try to get around the barriers, as that seems to be the easiest way to backup eveything. I've lost contacts before trying to use it tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osva View Post
Thanks - I totally missed that. So the typing lag is "normal" for this device - sad but acceptable, its my only MAJOR complaint so far.

But that still doesn't answer the lagginess of the operating system/program loading ( for lack of a technical term). Can anybody tell me which of my programs could be the culprit? I guess I can start taking them off one at a time, but I've come to expect great things from this site, so hopefully a nice user will tell me "hey this program relaly slowed mine down, take it off!" LOL.

On a side note, it seems to run a bit quicker with TF3D loaded (counterintuitive, I know). Is there a way I can get the "landscape" TF3D interface (tile mode) to show up in Portrait mode as well? I hate the "slide" thing, its really useless to me, but love the tile mode.

thanks for your help guys! I love this site!!! )
Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Also should mention I really don't remember the SERIOUS lagginess until I tried S2U2 program. I used it for 5 days or so and it ROYALLY screwed up how my phone worked, all sorts of bugs. I removed it, and maybe it left behind some garbage thats slowing me down. I assume the recommendation is a hard reset?

It just requires readding ALL of my programs and resetting ALL of them up - not something I look forward to.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Welcome to the Touch Pro. I can easily get an entire PARAGRAPH ahead of the display. It's aggrevating, but one of those things you just have to "get used to." Just like the horrible touch screen-response around the edges.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin311 View Post
Unfortunately I can't use Outlook on my computers, its a work thing, we're all Lotus Notes I think I need to breakdown and try to get around the barriers, as that seems to be the easiest way to backup eveything. I've lost contacts before trying to use it tho.
)
You can use dashwire to easily back up your phone info.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

cforster is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
Welcome to the Touch Pro. I can easily get an entire PARAGRAPH ahead of the display. It's aggrevating, but one of those things you just have to "get used to." Just like the horrible touch screen-response around the edges.
Not exactly on point with the topic, but I just got my replacement TP yesterday and the screen-response is WAY better than the old. I noticed a big difference. Was glad for that, the old one didn't pick up well at all for scrolling or closing out programs at the top right.

The lag on keyboard is still there however.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cforster View Post
Not exactly on point with the topic, but I just got my replacement TP yesterday and the screen-response is WAY better than the old. I noticed a big difference. Was glad for that, the old one didn't pick up well at all for scrolling or closing out programs at the top right.

The lag on keyboard is still there however.
Don't get me excited, or I'll swap my phone for the 6th time.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro