PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user? :) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47432)

Justin311 12-02-2008 03:26 PM

Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user? :)

1 Attachment(s)
I know just enough to get in trouble with the pro. Basically the main things I've added to it are listed below (see attachment), and I've disabled TF3D in lieu of ilauncher for personal preference.

But ever since i've really started using it, especially for texting, it is VERRRRY laggy. I slide the keyboard open and start typing, and it literally takes 3-5 seconds for my inputs to show up on the screen. Even half way thru a text message, if I type semi-quickly, the screen lags 7-10 characters behind what I'm actually typing. I'm not sure if it was like this before I added the programs to it, so I don't know if I've caused it.

Add to this, the programs seem to move like molasses when they're loading...sometimes half the screen will be my contacts list and the other half is whatever program I had open. It'll stay like that for 3-5 seconds then self correct - and in the meantime won't respond to any button or screen inputs. I have to soft reset about every 2-3 days to get the thing moving again. I don't remember my 6700 being ANYWHERE near this slow, and this is supposed to be the new and improved model, right?

So I'm wondering if I've done something wrong with the programs I've loaded, if I need to apply some of your guys' "tweaks" (like a custom ROM kitchen thing?) to speed it up, or if the device is just super slow and I need to get used to it. Any help is appreciated but step-by-step instructions are probably required as I don't know a ton about this phone but can easily follow instructions. I'm also afraid to lose all my contact information and pictures and stuff if I "unlock" the phone to add a ROM if thats necessary. Any ways around that?

Thanks in advance for guiding a newbie!

osva 12-02-2008 03:27 PM

Re: Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user

lag issues.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46292

BigDiesel07 12-02-2008 03:33 PM

Re: Serious lag issue, especially when using hard keyboard. Help a non-technical user

You can use Active Sync to back up all your contact information and your pictures and stuff.. Go here to download it or for more info.. Which model do you have? Verizon or Sprint? If you want to apply some tweaks to increase the speed of your phone, I would look here... Some of the programs you have might be causing the problems..

Justin311 12-02-2008 03:54 PM

Unfortunately I can't use Outlook on my computers, its a work thing, we're all Lotus Notes :( I think I need to breakdown and try to get around the barriers, as that seems to be the easiest way to backup eveything. I've lost contacts before trying to use it tho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by osva (Post 555297)

Thanks - I totally missed that. So the typing lag is "normal" for this device - sad but acceptable, its my only MAJOR complaint so far.

But that still doesn't answer the lagginess of the operating system/program loading ( for lack of a technical term). Can anybody tell me which of my programs could be the culprit? I guess I can start taking them off one at a time, but I've come to expect great things from this site, so hopefully a nice user will tell me "hey this program relaly slowed mine down, take it off!" LOL.

On a side note, it seems to run a bit quicker with TF3D loaded (counterintuitive, I know). Is there a way I can get the "landscape" TF3D interface (tile mode) to show up in Portrait mode as well? I hate the "slide" thing, its really useless to me, but love the tile mode.

thanks for your help guys! I love this site!!! :o)

Justin311 12-02-2008 03:57 PM

Also should mention I really don't remember the SERIOUS lagginess until I tried S2U2 program. I used it for 5 days or so and it ROYALLY screwed up how my phone worked, all sorts of bugs. I removed it, and maybe it left behind some garbage thats slowing me down. I assume the recommendation is a hard reset?

It just requires readding ALL of my programs and resetting ALL of them up - not something I look forward to.

ScrapMaker 12-02-2008 03:59 PM

Welcome to the Touch Pro. I can easily get an entire PARAGRAPH ahead of the display. It's aggrevating, but one of those things you just have to "get used to." Just like the horrible touch screen-response around the edges.

bruceo 12-02-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin311 (Post 555349)
Unfortunately I can't use Outlook on my computers, its a work thing, we're all Lotus Notes :( I think I need to breakdown and try to get around the barriers, as that seems to be the easiest way to backup eveything. I've lost contacts before trying to use it tho.
)

You can use dashwire to easily back up your phone info.

cforster 12-02-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 555359)
Welcome to the Touch Pro. I can easily get an entire PARAGRAPH ahead of the display. It's aggrevating, but one of those things you just have to "get used to." Just like the horrible touch screen-response around the edges.

Not exactly on point with the topic, but I just got my replacement TP yesterday and the screen-response is WAY better than the old. I noticed a big difference. Was glad for that, the old one didn't pick up well at all for scrolling or closing out programs at the top right.

The lag on keyboard is still there however.

ScrapMaker 12-02-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cforster (Post 555413)
Not exactly on point with the topic, but I just got my replacement TP yesterday and the screen-response is WAY better than the old. I noticed a big difference. Was glad for that, the old one didn't pick up well at all for scrolling or closing out programs at the top right.

The lag on keyboard is still there however.

Don't get me excited, or I'll swap my phone for the 6th time. ;)