PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint
Carrier: Sprint PCS

mickey53usa is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Screen Backlight stays on

I have searched high and low - this forum and others. The screen backlight stays on. It dims, but does not go out. I have tried the following -
Step #1. Settings -> System Tab -> Power -> Advanced Tab -> Uncheck "Turn off device if not used for" for both battery and external power and click "ok"
Step #2. Settings -> Personal Tab -> Today -> Items Tab -> Uncheck "Today timeout" and click "ok"
Step #3. Settings>System Tab>Power>Backlight - Unchecked "Auto Adjust Backlight" and "Backlight is always dim while device is locked."

Backlight continues to stay on. Have done soft resets and a couple hard resets. Running PocketMirror and S2U2. Everything else is "stock."

Hate to try a hard reset again, due to the time it takes to restore everything -

TIA
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Geek'n it Up
Pocket PC: xv6700 >> xv6800 >> BB Storm
Carrier: Red Devil Verizon

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Lylej2k
Re: Screen Backlight stays on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey53usa View Post
I have searched high and low - this forum and others. The screen backlight stays on. It dims, but does not go out. I have tried the following -
Step #1. Settings -> System Tab -> Power -> Advanced Tab -> Uncheck "Turn off device if not used for" for both battery and external power and click "ok"

TIA
you need to recheck these if you want it to go black without hitting the power button.
Don't forget to hit the

Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Threadstarter

mickey53usa is a n00b

If the device "turns off" will it still receive calls? My expereince is no, an incoming call will go to voice mail and not ring the phone. Will try it again -
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Geek'n it Up

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep

it should. it shouldn't be powering down the phone, like turning the radio off and such, just more of a sleep mode.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

speck is becoming a great contributor

The device doesn't really turn itself off - like Lylej2k says, it's really just sleeping. I make it a habit to hit the power button to sleep the device whenever I'm not using it - saves the battery. Calls come through fine. The issue with the calls going straight to voicemail isn't the on/off status of the screen/device. I think the general consensus on that is something to do with the way the phone polls the cell towers (at least that's the understanding I get out of it).

Look at "PST tweaks" in the Essentials thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

Searching for 'polling' in this forum brings up a lot of threads; I'm looking for a particular one to point you to, but right now I can't seem to find it.

PS - you'll know when the device has really been off - you see the HTC start screen, the Sprint start screen, and the Windows Mobile start screen (for example)
Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Geek'n it Up

its called Slot Cycle Index (SCI): how often your phone pings the tower for incoming calls and the instructions on how to do it are in post #2 in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...polling+towers

19-FIX THE SLOW RINGER

To do this, you will need your MSL, which only Sprint (or your provider) can provide you. Open up the phone app and dial ##778# (PST). You will be asked to enter your MSL. Enter it, and you will be brought into the provisioning of your phone. From the top left, select Modem Settings. On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) is how often your phone polls the tower for incoming calls, etc. This value is 1.28 seconds multiplied by 2^value (i.e 0=1.28 secs, 1=2.56secs) with 0 fastest, 7 slowest. The default is 2, but lowering it to 1 hasn't noticeably affected my battery life, and roughly 2.5 second (SCI 1) response time is far more reasonable than roughly 5 seconds (SCI 2)

From that post.

BAF MSL Grabber its a small program that will tell you your MSL its here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...hlight=grabber

I have mine set at 1
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Mogul

tsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good work

I've seen something strange on my TP. I can turn it off (really just sleep mode) but I notice that the bottom front function keys are still lit. Other times - like just now - I can turn on the phone and the lights are off. I turn it off and the lights are still off. Weird.

Anybody know how these lights are suppose to function?

tsp
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: pocket
Carrier: sprint

jupiter is becoming a great contributor

Yeh i have my backlight set to turn off after one minute when plugged in charging (cuz USB charging goes slow and is very weak and in some cases the phone will burn more energy than the USB can charge) but after one minute it doesnt go off, it just get dim. I want the phone to stay "on" but just the backlight off to conserve battery/power, why doesnt the touch do this?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Rollazn is just getting started

^ mine is the same... if i plug it in... press the power so it closes... and recieve a txt msg when im sleeping... the screen will go dim but will still stay on.

No bueno.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Geek'n it Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Yeh i have my backlight set to turn off after one minute when plugged in charging (cuz USB charging goes slow and is very weak and in some cases the phone will burn more energy than the USB can charge) but after one minute it doesnt go off, it just get dim. I want the phone to stay "on" but just the backlight off to conserve battery/power, why doesnt the touch do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollazn View Post
^ mine is the same... if i plug it in... press the power so it closes... and recieve a txt msg when im sleeping... the screen will go dim but will still stay on.
If i'm connected to active sync and i hit the power button to black out my screen, i lose my connection. so I'm ok with it being dim. If i'm on the wall outlet, I'll just hit the power button. This is not that big a deal for me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro