PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Screen Backlight stays on (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47422)

mickey53usa 12-02-2008 02:32 PM

Screen Backlight stays on

I have searched high and low - this forum and others. The screen backlight stays on. It dims, but does not go out. I have tried the following -
Step #1. Settings -> System Tab -> Power -> Advanced Tab -> Uncheck "Turn off device if not used for" for both battery and external power and click "ok"
Step #2. Settings -> Personal Tab -> Today -> Items Tab -> Uncheck "Today timeout" and click "ok"
Step #3. Settings>System Tab>Power>Backlight - Unchecked "Auto Adjust Backlight" and "Backlight is always dim while device is locked."

Backlight continues to stay on. Have done soft resets and a couple hard resets. Running PocketMirror and S2U2. Everything else is "stock."

Hate to try a hard reset again, due to the time it takes to restore everything -

TIA

Lylej2k 12-02-2008 02:41 PM

Re: Screen Backlight stays on

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey53usa (Post 555212)
I have searched high and low - this forum and others. The screen backlight stays on. It dims, but does not go out. I have tried the following -
Step #1. Settings -> System Tab -> Power -> Advanced Tab -> Uncheck "Turn off device if not used for" for both battery and external power and click "ok"

TIA

you need to recheck these if you want it to go black without hitting the power button.

mickey53usa 12-02-2008 04:08 PM

If the device "turns off" will it still receive calls? My expereince is no, an incoming call will go to voice mail and not ring the phone. Will try it again -

Lylej2k 12-02-2008 04:15 PM

it should. it shouldn't be powering down the phone, like turning the radio off and such, just more of a sleep mode.

speck 12-02-2008 07:15 PM

The device doesn't really turn itself off - like Lylej2k says, it's really just sleeping. I make it a habit to hit the power button to sleep the device whenever I'm not using it - saves the battery. Calls come through fine. The issue with the calls going straight to voicemail isn't the on/off status of the screen/device. I think the general consensus on that is something to do with the way the phone polls the cell towers (at least that's the understanding I get out of it).

Look at "PST tweaks" in the Essentials thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

Searching for 'polling' in this forum brings up a lot of threads; I'm looking for a particular one to point you to, but right now I can't seem to find it.

PS - you'll know when the device has really been off - you see the HTC start screen, the Sprint start screen, and the Windows Mobile start screen (for example)

Lylej2k 12-02-2008 10:12 PM

its called Slot Cycle Index (SCI): how often your phone pings the tower for incoming calls and the instructions on how to do it are in post #2 in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...polling+towers

19-FIX THE SLOW RINGER

To do this, you will need your MSL, which only Sprint (or your provider) can provide you. Open up the phone app and dial ##778# (PST). You will be asked to enter your MSL. Enter it, and you will be brought into the provisioning of your phone. From the top left, select Modem Settings. On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) is how often your phone polls the tower for incoming calls, etc. This value is 1.28 seconds multiplied by 2^value (i.e 0=1.28 secs, 1=2.56secs) with 0 fastest, 7 slowest. The default is 2, but lowering it to 1 hasn't noticeably affected my battery life, and roughly 2.5 second (SCI 1) response time is far more reasonable than roughly 5 seconds (SCI 2)

From that post.

BAF MSL Grabber its a small program that will tell you your MSL its here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...hlight=grabber

I have mine set at 1

tsperez 12-02-2008 10:48 PM

I've seen something strange on my TP. I can turn it off (really just sleep mode) but I notice that the bottom front function keys are still lit. Other times - like just now - I can turn on the phone and the lights are off. I turn it off and the lights are still off. Weird.

Anybody know how these lights are suppose to function?

tsp

jupiter 12-03-2008 01:34 AM

Yeh i have my backlight set to turn off after one minute when plugged in charging (cuz USB charging goes slow and is very weak and in some cases the phone will burn more energy than the USB can charge) but after one minute it doesnt go off, it just get dim. I want the phone to stay "on" but just the backlight off to conserve battery/power, why doesnt the touch do this?

Rollazn 12-03-2008 02:22 AM

^ mine is the same... if i plug it in... press the power so it closes... and recieve a txt msg when im sleeping... the screen will go dim but will still stay on.

No bueno.

Lylej2k 12-03-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiter (Post 556413)
Yeh i have my backlight set to turn off after one minute when plugged in charging (cuz USB charging goes slow and is very weak and in some cases the phone will burn more energy than the USB can charge) but after one minute it doesnt go off, it just get dim. I want the phone to stay "on" but just the backlight off to conserve battery/power, why doesnt the touch do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollazn (Post 556506)
^ mine is the same... if i plug it in... press the power so it closes... and recieve a txt msg when im sleeping... the screen will go dim but will still stay on.

If i'm connected to active sync and i hit the power button to black out my screen, i lose my connection. so I'm ok with it being dim. If i'm on the wall outlet, I'll just hit the power button. This is not that big a deal for me.