PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Verizon Touch Pro has 192MB RAM? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47361)

ean611 12-02-2008 08:51 AM

Verizon Touch Pro has 192MB RAM?

I have a Verizon Touch Pro

Under Settings --> System --> Device information --> Hardware it reports:

CPU Qualcomm 7500A
Speed: 528MHz
RAM Size: 192mb

Now, the OS takes up a set amount of RAM, and Verizon appears to give you the available program memory rather than the total.

I know there is a gps gimp, but seriously, why is everyone complaining about a slow gimped Verizon phone? CPU and Memory appear to be identical.

(I know the keyboard is different, valid complaint)

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but with the talk of crippling phones around here, I'm trying to understand what people are talking about, and it doesn't jive with what my phone says.

/Got my Touch Pro for free replacing sucky i760
//It rocks so far

dimitri 12-02-2008 09:03 AM

Re: Verizon Touch Pro has 192MB RAM?

The problem is that 64 mbs are used for video and the rest is for RAM. Then you factor in just using TouchFlo 3D and you are using over 60% of the RAM available. Then load other programs.

steb0ne 12-02-2008 09:06 AM

Because the Sprint TP has 288 MB of total RAM under device info

ean611 12-02-2008 09:55 AM

ah, thanks steb0ne.

Well, the VZN Touch Pro was free, so there's that! :)

gutrrob 12-02-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ean611 (Post 554542)
I have a Verizon Touch Pro

Under Settings --> System --> Device information --> Hardware it reports:

CPU Qualcomm 7500A
Speed: 528MHz
RAM Size: 192mb

Now, the OS takes up a set amount of RAM, and Verizon appears to give you the available program memory rather than the total.

I know there is a gps gimp, but seriously, why is everyone complaining about a slow gimped Verizon phone? CPU and Memory appear to be identical.

(I know the keyboard is different, valid complaint)

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but with the talk of crippling phones around here, I'm trying to understand what people are talking about, and it doesn't jive with what my phone says.

/Got my Touch Pro for free replacing sucky i760
//It rocks so far

uu
I noticed U said the cpu was a 7500A, On the sprint version its a 7501A I thought it was the same cpu, whats the difference?

veetvoojagig 12-02-2008 10:55 AM

IIRC, the Sprint is 528 mhz, and the VZW one is 400 mhz. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

lexluthor 12-02-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veetvoojagig (Post 554655)
IIRC, the Sprint is 528 mhz, and the VZW one is 400 mhz. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

You are wrong.

They run at the same speed.

I think the difference was that there's a different amount of on board memory on each chip.

veetvoojagig 12-02-2008 12:14 PM

Apparently, I fell victim to a bit of Sprint propaganda

TurboFool 12-02-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veetvoojagig (Post 554859)
Apparently, I fell victim to a bit of Sprint propaganda

There were early reports of that, actually, so you have good reason to believe that.

Anyway, I believe the difference is in the cache on the processor.

ironi 12-03-2008 03:19 AM

not sure if this info will ease anyone's mind, but here goes...

i got a vzw touch pro 3 days ago. i knew what i was getting myself into with a crippled phone but gave it a shot anyway. right out of the box, the device was slow. it was painful. i watched people on youtube play around with their sprint touch pros and notice how fast they were. the verizon version was nothing of the sort. however, somehow after 3 days of messing with this thing (2 hard resets, advanced configuration tool experimentation, tf3d config, theme changes) i have to say, i managed to get this thing working pretty well. the screen rotation is quick and effortless (although perhaps a few milliseconds slower than sprint's), opera is smooth, everything else very responsive. i'll admit that due to the ram issue i won't be able to run as many apps simultaneously as someone with a sprint touch pro, but how many apps do people run at the same time? i know media applications are pretty ram-intensive, so if i were playing music and trying to run opera at the same time, i'd hit some snags. all in all, i'm not entirely dissatisfied with this device. i gave a lot of thought to switching to sprint, but i don't think i trust them enough to throw myself into a 2 year contract with them.