PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Got My Replacement Today From Sprint.. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47302)

mrchris1234 12-01-2008 08:59 PM

Got My Replacement Today From Sprint..

So far doesnt seem to be any better than the one it replaces. Battery is dismal and it added a new set of problems.. This one shuts off as in totally shuts off and have to press the button to boot it back up (as if the battery was removed) whenever I slide the keyboard shut. What the heck?

I really want to love this phone, but I'm thinking about jumping ship all together and going to ATT and the iPhone.. I realize the iPhone has its issues, but so far from what I see it seems a bit more stable and slightly better battery life, no keyboard :( I dunno, I'm not an Apple fanboy but I'm not an HTC fanboy either. I just want a phone that works with either a generous and functional touch screen keyboard or physical keyboard and exchangesync. Those are my two real needs. I had a Touch before, good phone, VERY stable and I would have kept it had the damn on screen keyboard been more usable with my fat fingers. Battery life wasn't perfect but its a hell of a lot longer than the Touch Pro. Nor would I mind living with less then perfect devices if they were more reasonably priced, but this high a price tag with these issues and its just too frustrating to live with.

marcus_cruz 12-01-2008 09:12 PM

Re: Got My Replacement Today From Sprint..

Go to a store and show the problems. They should give a new one right there. If they dont then tell them thanks, and jump ship. I have had three phones in a row that were bad before.
I took my TP back recently and the second one I got has been so nice I dont even want to upgrade to a different ROM.

Whats your build date ?

chappy 12-01-2008 09:17 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45060

Read that thread, it's pretty dead on when it comes to battery issues.

Not really sure why you swapped your device for battery life issues, as it's known across the board that the life on these devices isn't that great yet

The Mogul had terrible battery life when it launched too, and towards the end it would last for days.

In short, switching carriers isn't going to make a bit of a difference. They all have the same devices, for the most part.

marcus_cruz 12-01-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy (Post 553482)
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45060

Read that thread, it's pretty dead on when it comes to battery issues.

Not really sure why you swapped your device for battery life issues, as it's known across the board that the life on these devices isn't that great yet

The Mogul had terrible battery life when it launched too, and towards the end it would last for days.

In short, switching carriers isn't going to make a bit of a difference. They all have the same devices, for the most part.

My battery last way longer now. I use to get maybe 3 hours of regular usage. I get at least 8.

PDAPhoneJunkie 12-01-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy (Post 553482)

Not always. Us CDMA users often get the ghetto phones. The GSM phones usally are much hotter. I love the GSM Pro and Diamond. I don't know why Sprint puts those ugly battery doors on them. And the GSM Vogue has WiFi. If AT&T had some better coverage I would switch in a heart beat. I really wish Verizon was GSM. SIM cards are convenient and no mess with ESN's. Anyhow just my view...

darren.wlsn1 12-01-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcus_cruz (Post 553501)
My battery last way longer now. I use to get maybe 3 hours of regular usage. I get at least 8.

+1 mines way better also. as for jumping ship, im on my 4th diamond and now all is good. still on first pro, no problems. as for the iphony, pay more for your plan, apps, ect? why

amw1972 12-01-2008 09:58 PM

still sounds like you don't really want to jump ship...can you say ETF. Sprint has yet to cave to that whole ETF deal but that's another issue.

I say, stick with the TouchPro. Battery life has always been and WILL always be an issue with these types of phones...even after 12+months...the Mogul got better, but not outstanding.

You say you want to jump ship to the iPhone...over battery issue...lets be real. That is one of the MAJOR complaints about that thing. Depending if you're going with the 3G...you're really sucking down battery life then. That is IF you get 3G coverage.

At least I know that in a couple of months, we'll be b**ching about ugly extended battery doors and the debate on how big a battery everyone is gonna get, where as with the iPhone you're stuck with what Apple says you're gonna get...until, of course, the battery eventually fails. Then again, they're banking on you upgrading before the iPhone 3G's shelf life is up...happens every year with their product...LIKE CLOCK WORK.

So, I think you should stick it out...stay out of the Sprint store, but definitely talk to retentions. Do the whole "I'm dropping Sprint for the iPhone because Sprint phones suck..." thing...chances are, you'll get a solid deal for something new/different maybe a BB Curve...but either way, I think you'll end up with a better deal by NOT jumping ship.

chappy 12-01-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie (Post 553526)
Not always. Us CDMA users often get the ghetto phones. The GSM phones usally are much hotter. I love the GSM Pro and Diamond. I don't know why Sprint puts those ugly battery doors on them. And the GSM Vogue has WiFi. If AT&T had some better coverage I would switch in a heart beat. I really wish Verizon was GSM. SIM cards are convenient and no mess with ESN's. Anyhow just my view...

The imported GSM phones are hotter, yes. Go into an ATT store and show me anything (besides the iPhone) that is that much better than it's CDMA counterpart.

Not to mention the original GSM pro and diamond have less RAM than their CDMA counterparts.

gsvnet 12-01-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy (Post 553577)
The imported GSM phones are hotter, yes. Go into an ATT store and show me anything (besides the iPhone) that is that much better than it's CDMA counterpart.

Not to mention the original GSM pro and diamond have less RAM than their CDMA counterparts.

Does the original GSM Pro really have less RAM? I was under the impression that it was the same, although I know the Diamond was definitely less.

mrchris1234 12-01-2008 11:04 PM

Well my battery issues on my first phone were way beyond even what everyone else was experiencing. I was getting less than an hour standby and about 10 minutes talk time. It would get sooo hot you could hardly hold it and once warmed up would not charge. The iphone isnt known for stellar battery life but its significantly longer than the touch pro.

I'll admit if the darn thing worked as advertised I'd be a happy clam, but the level of frustration is making me feel like jumping ship just to spite them. And I don't say that lightly! I have been with Sprint for 12 years or so and have 5 lines of service plus a data card. I love the data card and would keep it, and most of my employees phones are fine. But I just can't seem to get a working phone that fits my needs and or works at the same time.