PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Verizon

Kalnel is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Video review of VZW Touch Pro-Crippled "Should be criminally negligent"

I can accept that Verizon locked, crippled, and generally effed-up this phone -- I mean, I knew this when I bought it, so why whine? -- but I'm starting to see a lot of smaller bugs that have me even more worried.

For example:
-- I'm getting shell32.exe crashes every time I try to reset my ringtone
-- PIE does not register info typed on the hard keyboard
-- Opera is slow and buggy
-- I'm getting A LOT of freeze ups with just 2 or 3 programs open
-- Unless the phone as a GREAT signal (or the radio is off), it's very slow
-- Internet connection is slow (same as my non-Rev A 6700)
-- Not as many bars in almost any location as 6700

I should note that these things are taking place without Touch Flo running and with 25-40MB available.

A new ROM could address a lot of this stuff, but it makes me wonder if there's not some other underlying flaw in the phone.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Now that I think about it, it was a good idea to start that thread! Keeps the board less cluttered
I knew one day one will realize the point of my thread. ALot of threads are popping up complaining about the cripple VZN Pro. Theres like 3 or 5 I think. Well just go to my link and continue there. Otherwise there will be clutter everywhere about how ppl are pisst of at vzn. I still find it funny how vzn managed to screw their customers in paying a extra 50 dollars for it too. Too funny.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW)

FrozenIpaq is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalnel View Post
I can accept that Verizon locked, crippled, and generally effed-up this phone -- I mean, I knew this when I bought it, so why whine? -- but I'm starting to see a lot of smaller bugs that have me even more worried.

For example:
-- I'm getting shell32.exe crashes every time I try to reset my ringtone
-- PIE does not register info typed on the hard keyboard PIE is horrible, shouldn't be using it in the first place
-- Opera is slow and buggy - it's one of the best mobile browsers and is found on all TP's, so hardly a verizon cripple (ps: upgrade to latest version)
-- I'm getting A LOT of freeze ups with just 2 or 3 programs open - optimize your device, heck even overclock it and see if that does anything.
-- Unless the phone as a GREAT signal (or the radio is off), it's very slow
-- Internet connection is slow (same as my non-Rev A 6700) - that's the network, not the phone
-- Not as many bars in almost any location as 6700 - every phone is different, don't expect every new phone to have better reception

I should note that these things are taking place without Touch Flo running and with 25-40MB available.

A new ROM could address a lot of this stuff, but it makes me wonder if there's not some other underlying flaw in the phone.
I'm just sick of people complaining about this phone. It's a great smartphone for the verizon network. People are complaining about 40mb free being a low amount, however I had 64mb total RAM on my iPaq and it ran fine when I had multiple programs open (probably due to it running WM2003 and not WM6.1) but you shouldn't be leaving a ton of programs open at once. For a verizon phone it is excellent, but for a touch pro it is lacking - that's the way I see it
Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenIpaq View Post
I'm just sick of people complaining about this phone. It's a great smartphone for the verizon network. People are complaining about 40mb free being a low amount, however I had 64mb total RAM on my iPaq and it ran fine when I had multiple programs open (probably due to it running WM2003 and not WM6.1) but you shouldn't be leaving a ton of programs open at once. For a verizon phone it is excellent, but for a touch pro it is lacking - that's the way I see it
Wait a minute. This aint no iphone and we aint i-sheeps. We want power and freedom to multitask! If we shouldn't have multiple app running then we should not have PPC's! When I go on my luch break my Pro does me justice... I listen to my mp3's while I browse Opera and shoot out email and texts. On occvasionals I takes pictures when I am doing all this! So saying that we should not have all those app runnnig is just insane! I truly consider myself a poweruser and Sprints Pro has been able to keep up on my demand.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6850 + 6950
Carrier: Sprint

tsbtx is just getting started

Quote:
Wait a minute. This aint no iphone and we aint i-sheeps. We want power and freedom to multitask! If we shouldn't have multiple app running then we should not have PPC's! When I go on my luch break my Pro does me justice... I listen to my mp3's while I browse Opera and shoot out email and texts. On occvasionals I takes pictures when I am doing all this! So saying that we should not have all those app runnnig is just insane! I truly consider myself a poweruser and Sprints Pro has been able to keep up on my demand.
I agree whole-heartedly. But it may end up like Sprint did initially with the Mogul where it shipped with Rev. 0 and locked GPS, only to have them come out with the fixes later. If their proprietary software wasn't up to par, and they simply HAD to push this phone out before Christmas I can understand why they did it. They're going to sell a buttload of phones during the Holidays and a phone like the Pro *is* a big enough deal to cause visible churn in your consumer base because it is an extremely popular handset. Heck, I can't keep them in store right now.

My two cents.

Edited: Because I can't spell.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I think what's funny is 99% of ypur typical cell phone/PDA buyers don't know or care what the differences are between the vz & sprint versions.

I have a sprint TP activated on my vz account, but when I tried to explain why I had done that to a couple co-workers I pretty much got blank stares back from them.

One of them has an iphone & the other has an old beat up 6700 & he absolutely LOVES it.

~John
Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6850 + 6950
Carrier: Sprint

tsbtx is just getting started

1 percent of a consumer base that is a 50-60 million people is a *lot*. Not to mention the sheer amount of cash flow they'll get because these phones are packed with "extras".
Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I think what's funny is 99% of ypur typical cell phone/PDA buyers don't know or care what the differences are between the vz & sprint versions.

I have a sprint TP activated on my vz account, but when I tried to explain why I had done that to a couple co-workers I pretty much got blank stares back from them.

One of them has an iphone & the other has an old beat up 6700 & he absolutely LOVES it.

~John
Lol, i have a friend with a samsung instinct, loves it and questions why anyone would use such an overly complicated phone as the touchpro... WE ARE TRULY GEEKS MY FRIENDS! [/mccain]

This phone is pretty fast minus the bloat. I know some of you vzw users are having problems but just try disabling some of the unnecessary stuff like dialer skins and tf3d, i did both on my sprint version and the phone is snappier than it was. Ram accounts for a lot, but running programs are a lot more.

I dont think you guys are crippled with low ram, just look back on the days of the 6800, THEY WERE CRIPPLED, these tp's are limited, but nothing thats outrageous.... i can remember a time when my 6800 had 17mbs free on start up.... as low as 10mbs throughout the day with maybe one or two programs running... having 40mbs with tf3d and that dialer is a big step up from where the last model was
Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW)

FrozenIpaq is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
No, all of that is fine and should be like that. I'm talking about running multiple, unnecessary programs in the background... (notice I say "ton" of programs running in the background)
Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
40mb is plenty to run opera, the camera, audiomanager and open poutlook. open them and check your task manager they dont equal near even 20mb.

camera - 5.5mb, audio manager- 1.75mb, poutlook- 2-300kb, opera fluctuates around but not more than 5mb for one tab open.

Coming from a Sprint person, we get it you dont like VZW. Let people enjoy their phones if theyre ok with it. Theres no serious Mogul or 700w RAM problem, its just not up to par compared to other Pro's, but is still a good phone and works fine.

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 11-30-2008 at 06:46 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro