PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

speck is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Active Sync first use problem

Sorry this is a bit long, but I am confused about "Active Sync". I finally installed the CD that came with the phone to my PC. I guess I expected something like Palm Desktop to be installed. All that I got was "Active Sync" in the taskbar.

OK, I connected the phone via USB. PC recognized it fine. I don't have Outlook installed on that PC, so a box popped up that I could only sync "other files". Fine. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to "sync" - other than using the phone like a drive to copy files to and from. I browsed a little through the explorer folders, then I unplugged it. (I couldn't figure out how to "stop" the USB connection)

I picked up the phone a little later to make a call. I nearly had a heart attack when I went to "Contacts" and got a blank screen! I was going to panic - but my "Call History" still had the names associated with the numbers, so I figured the info had to be somewhere. I turned the phone off and back on and all seems ok.

Did Active Sync have anything to do with the contacts disappearing? What am I supposed to use Active Sync for if I don't have Outlook to sync with? Is there anything like Palm Desktop? And one last question - do I have to install Active Sync to be able to use the phone as an external drive (e.g. just to transfer files)

Thanks so much - y'all are great!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

evilpeople is becoming a great contributor
Re: Active Sync first use problem

I assume you're using Window XP, correct? Activesync is not like Palm Desktop in that it is really just a conduit to sync you WM device with other applications (such as Outlook and OneNote) installed on your desktop.

IIRC, It will not work with Outlook Express or Vista's Windows Mail. What do you use for email/contacts/calendar on your desktop now?

I believe you could also use Windows Live on the TP to sync your contacts online with a Windows Live or Hotmail account.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

cforster is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
Sorry this is a bit long, but I am confused about "Active Sync". I finally installed the CD that came with the phone to my PC. I guess I expected something like Palm Desktop to be installed. All that I got was "Active Sync" in the taskbar.

OK, I connected the phone via USB. PC recognized it fine. I don't have Outlook installed on that PC, so a box popped up that I could only sync "other files". Fine. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to "sync" - other than using the phone like a drive to copy files to and from. I browsed a little through the explorer folders, then I unplugged it. (I couldn't figure out how to "stop" the USB connection)

I picked up the phone a little later to make a call. I nearly had a heart attack when I went to "Contacts" and got a blank screen! I was going to panic - but my "Call History" still had the names associated with the numbers, so I figured the info had to be somewhere. I turned the phone off and back on and all seems ok.

Did Active Sync have anything to do with the contacts disappearing? What am I supposed to use Active Sync for if I don't have Outlook to sync with? Is there anything like Palm Desktop? And one last question - do I have to install Active Sync to be able to use the phone as an external drive (e.g. just to transfer files)

Thanks so much - y'all are great!
If your using XP activesync installs the drivers so that you can access your phone's data. Vista has built-in support with windows mobile device center.

I have never used activesync to sync anything, including outlook via usb. I use it from the phone to interface over the air to my exchange server. Honestly I'm not sure what you would use it for other than syncing outlook data? Maybe someone else on here could tell you more than I??

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So if I just plug the phone's usb cable into any PC, does it set itself up as removable storage so that I can copy files to it? Or does Active Sync have to be installed?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

cforster is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
So if I just plug the phone's usb cable into any PC, does it set itself up as removable storage so that I can copy files to it? Or does Active Sync have to be installed?
I'm pretty sure if your using Windows XP you have to use Activesync...

That what is uses to interface to your phone
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cforster View Post
If your using XP activesync installs the drivers so that you can access your phone's data. Vista has built-in support with windows mobile device center.

I have never used activesync to sync anything, including outlook via usb. I use it from the phone to interface over the air to my exchange server. Honestly I'm not sure what you would use it for other than syncing outlook data? Maybe someone else on here could tell you more than I??
I think if you select the Mass Storage option instead of Activesync when you plug in your TP, it will work driverless as a USB Mass Storage device. You should be able to access both the internal memory and SD card that way. It's also faster than the Activesync option.

I use AS for Outlook Notes and OneNote, neither of which can be synchronized over the air.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks to both of you!

One final question - why does 'Active Sync' keep starting itself on my phone? I turn it off (close it) whenever I see it in the task list - but what is turning it on?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

AS is used for over-the-air as well as PC-based connectivity. Since I use server-based AS, mine's always running.

You might try going into menu->schedule in AS and set it to never do anything. I would also guess that if you delete the sync partnership (menu->options in AS) on your phone, you may be able to keep it closed.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpeople View Post
AS is used for over-the-air as well as PC-based connectivity. Since I use server-based AS, mine's always running.

You might try going into menu->schedule in AS and set it to never do anything. I would also guess that if you delete the sync partnership (menu->options in AS) on your phone, you may be able to keep it closed.
But it has been turning itself on even before I ever tried to install Act.Sync to my PC.

I hadn't really set up any partnerships with anything. I haven't decided which, if any, emails I would want to see on my phone, so I have no email accounts set up. I'm not sure what this thing is trying to sync. It's like it tries to 'phone home' every so often. I am going to see if I can find the setting to turn it off. I just wasn't sure if it serves some important purpose having to do with the gps or internet or tv or what. I'm still pretty new to everything and I'm not sure what does what.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro