PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Mattw79 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help... My boss bricked my new Touch Pro!

I have a Sprint TP, and my boss did a remote wipe in Exchange 2007 as a prank and killed the thing. After two hard resets, I have lost touch flo, the abilty to recieve calls (can make outgoing calls), and my data connection does not seem to be working. Is there a way to get this software and reinstall?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work
Re: Help... My boss bricked my new Touch Pro!

Put on the soft bootloader and then load a custom or standard ROM.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43266

Or, if you have Sprint insurance, take it to the store and get another one.

Better yet, have the boss get it fixed.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

Sorry if this is a distraction to the purpose of the thread but I am genuinely disturbed/curious about this.

WHY would what happens on a mail server cause this kind of reaction in the device? Isn't this a humongous and dangerous design flaw?

To the OP, your boss should pay any expenses and reimburse you for your time in getting this fixed. What a d**k.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic, Evo, TP2

TheMostToys is keeping up the good workTheMostToys is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattw79 View Post
I have a Sprint TP, and my boss did a remote wipe in Exchange 2007 as a prank and killed the thing. After two hard resets, I have lost touch flo, the abilty to recieve calls (can make outgoing calls), and my data connection does not seem to be working. Is there a way to get this software and reinstall?
Are you sure about the "hard" reset? Turn the power off (to be sure, remove the battery for 10 seconds), put battery back in. Hold down (in this order) the volume down button, the ok (center d-pad) button and finally the power button. Keep holding all three buttons until a message is displayed to press the volume up button to reset. If this message is not displayed, start the process again until it does. This should reset the phone to factory load, just like new. If it does not, it is unlikely that it was your bosses fault.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bullet2300 is keeping up the good workbullet2300 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagual View Post
Sorry if this is a distraction to the purpose of the thread but I am genuinely disturbed/curious about this.

WHY would what happens on a mail server cause this kind of reaction in the device? Isn't this a humongous and dangerous design flaw?

To the OP, your boss should pay any expenses and reimburse you for your time in getting this fixed. What a d**k.
Remote Exchange wipe is a handy tool for businesses because you can remotely wipe an entire phone if it's lost or stolen, protecting any work-related material.

It doesn't just wipe e-mail, it wipes out the entire phone, but it is also suppose to reset it to factory settings, not brick it lol. Many businesses require it if you want to use your phone for work e-mail. That was sooo evil of him to do though!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

evilpeople is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagual View Post
This is a security feature of Exchange 2003 and 2007. For example, let's say your company issues you a WM phone, and your email and documents contain sensitive corporate data. If the phone is lost or stolen, the sysadmin can use the remote wipe feature to sanitize & lock the device to prevent malicious use. It's actually a pretty good idea from a corporate security standpoint, unless this guy's boss is your boss.

I should add that it's not like an Exchange admin could do this accidentally (it's not really an easy action to find), or your POP3 or HTTP mail provider could perform this action - it's specific to phones using Exchange Activesync.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Mattw79 is a n00b

I tried more hard reseting (even after taking the battery out for a minute) and had no luck. For my final attempt, I thought maybe the Sprint disc that came with the phone may have the original software and I could try connecting usb and resoring. For whatever reason, as soon as i plugged the usb cable from my laptop to the phone, touch flo restarted, and things started working again. It doesn't make any sense, I didn't even start the disc yet. I did another hard reset just to make sure it was clean, and I'm up and running. Thanks for your input anyway. Tomorrow, I'll have to send Exchange out to destroy his phone!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict

Ok, I can take a joke, but what your boss did just wasn't funny. What if you had pictures on there that you wanted to keep? Personal documents? Text messages? The only way that could be justified if this phone were provided by your company. I have my phone connected to my work's Exchange server, but it's my phone. I might just remove my phone from the server now that I know this can be done.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Mattw79 is a n00b

I couldn't agree more Subhumanderelict. I've only been anticipating this gadget for a month now, and then with one click of his almight administrator mouse..... Quashes the small bit of enjoyment one would get from it.

Last edited by Mattw79; 11-25-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Did you at least back up everything before this happened? I try to back up everything at least once a week.. More so if I add a new contact or take a lot of pictures/video I want to save..
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro