PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DARKNGL is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Another TV-out diy guide simple

Would using something like this work as well?

Also can this be used with GPS Enabled say like Google Maps? I mean maybe for an external screen mounted somewhere else with the RCA Inputs.

Last edited by DARKNGL; 02-03-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Lurker

digitalvoyager is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalvoyager View Post
Happy to report this cutting the blue wire worked for me, quality of video is fine for the resolution it is, though as noted by others the sound is attenuated. I wonder if that sound attenuation would be less if it wasnt for the length of the cable I have.

I did have some out of sync images until I connected the various colors as described in previous posts about the 3.5 mm to RCA radio shack cable.

Now my ultimate goal all along has been to get this to display on a set of Crystal MyVu (made for iPod) video glasses I have. My next step is to get a 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male to connect to the pendant on the iPod. A little worried about whether it will be sending signals to the right places as others have talked about, but will just try it and report back.
Well, a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm video cable proved to be hard to find, none at Best Buy or Radio Shack. But I was so keyed up to try this that I bought two each of 3.5 mm to RCA and 3 female to female phono plug couplers and made one ugly 20 foot cable that does the job

Wow, its cool as hell to be able to watch a movie on the MyVus anywhere I go with the phone. Course looking forward to getting the 3 foot 3.5 mm cable in the mail soon, will probably return one of the 10 foot 3.5 to RCAs to Radio shack and keep the other for output to TVs, etc.

This is by far the coolest phone I have ever had, what a huge upgrade from my 6700
Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Lurker

digitalvoyager is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKNGL View Post
Would using something like this work as well?

Also can this be used with GPS Enabled say like Google Maps? I mean maybe for an external screen mounted somewhere else with the RCA Inputs.
That will work (once you have already made the DIY modification on this thread) to connect 3 male RCA inputs from your video source.

I just tried Sprint navigation output to my video glasses and it worked just fine (not sure about google maps but Sprint Navigation works really well) so I am sure that you can output navigation with that at least to an external monitor and use it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

diskworm is a n00b

Hey... all I did was take the audio thing from my touch pro, cut into the short piece of wire going from the plug to the box, found the blue wire (mentioned somewhere on one of these threads *thank you to whoever you were by the way*) and snipped it... got some heat shrink from Radioshack (I work there) and presto... I have video out!!! I also still have the functionality of both headset outputs as well as being able to charge while viewing tv. I did have swap the yellow composite cable for the red, as my cable was also from Radioshack, but I am here to tell you.. it works great! Thanks to all you geeks out there!!! And most of all to my bro, vrdude, for trying it first!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskworm View Post
Hey... all I did was take the audio thing from my touch pro, cut into the short piece of wire going from the plug to the box, found the blue wire (mentioned somewhere on one of these threads *thank you to whoever you were by the way*) and snipped it... got some heat shrink from Radioshack (I work there) and presto... I have video out!!! I also still have the functionality of both headset outputs as well as being able to charge while viewing tv. I did have swap the yellow composite cable for the red, as my cable was also from Radioshack, but I am here to tell you.. it works great! Thanks to all you geeks out there!!! And most of all to my bro, vrdude, for trying it first!!!
Can you confirm that you have headset output - IE make calls through a cabled headset, whether it's 2.5mm or 3.5mm? I've confirmed that if I close out of the tv out program, I can listen to stereo music as clearly as before. But I haven't been able to confirm that I can make a call through a 2.5mm earbud headset.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

diskworm is a n00b

No, I can not confirm that. Vrdude had his hooked up in his van listening to mp3's and when I called him, his went to the incoming phone call on speaker but it didn't kill the microphone so I could here myself feeding through the car stereo. So I would say that since the wire we are cutting is the headphone sensing wire, you will not be able to do that.. hope this helped some.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskworm View Post
No, I can not confirm that. Vrdude had his hooked up in his van listening to mp3's and when I called him, his went to the incoming phone call on speaker but it didn't kill the microphone so I could here myself feeding through the car stereo. So I would say that since the wire we are cutting is the headphone sensing wire, you will not be able to do that.. hope this helped some.
Unfortunately, I don't think that proves anything either way. We've already proved that the Touch Pro behaves differently with the video adapter connected, ONLY when you close out the TV program. In the example you provided, your friend had the video out program running - I assume? If you close it out, you get regular stereo out without the hiss. I wonder if that also allows you to receive calls through the headset - by having the adapter connected, and the tv out program NOT running in the background?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Actually - I just answered my own question and it's good news. If you hack the adapter that came with your phone - you DO retain headset AND headphone use so long as you close out the video out program (without choosing NTSC or PAL).

I used tape to cover pin 4 of my adapter, and was able to watch videos on my TV. But also - when I closed out the "video out" program at the PAL/NTSC screen (top right button, then close it in running programs) - I could then successfully connect a wired headset. I used a 2.5mm headset and held a conversation with my roommate.

I think this is great news, so you don't have to add a switch or pay $40 to an ebay scammer who has. The adapter should retain all it's functionality. Hopefully if others can confirm - there's no reason NOT to modify your stock adapter.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro