PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Opera Mini 4.2 out (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46481)

BigDiesel07 11-25-2008 01:12 PM

Opera Mini 4.2 out

Opera Mini 4.2 is now out of beta and has been officially released.. Here is the link to download it below...

http://www.operamini.com/download/

yearn 11-25-2008 01:27 PM

Re: Opera Mini 4.2 out

ya I downloaded it yesterday and its super fast. it dont feel like a desktop like mobile or skyfire but just for browsing the web or forums it awesome! Loads pages At least 5 times faster than any other browser iv used.

mtnmedic 11-25-2008 01:59 PM

What download is everyone using? I see under the HTC product list the TP isn't shown. I was wondering perhaps to use the one for the Mogul or the Touch but then there is the "generic" download and under that there are the "basic" and "advanced". Then there is the direct-with-phone method which brings up a page that says "Opera Mini 4.2 Your phone model could not be detected. Please try to install this version - Download Opera Mini!" Not sure what's going on there. Maybe THAT'S not 4.2 because my phone model couldn't be detected?

UPDATE:

Went ahead and tried to use the phone to directly download. Every download link (including "older" versions) gives me an error message regarding mini.jad: "The file "mini" cannot be opened. Either it is not signed witha trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found...." How is everyone else getting the file installed?

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Well ain't that something...I downloaded the generic version via the PC and put the files onto my phone's SD card (where I keep all of my programs' installation files for future re-installs), tried to execute both of them and got the same error message. So...I went back to the HTC list and clicked the download link for the Touch and noticed that the same two files were listed. But thinking that perhaps a re-download might give me a fresh pair of files to work with, I used them. Same error.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this BOGUS?

TheDude1120 11-25-2008 02:01 PM

cant somebody tell me what the diff is between regular opera and opera mini, i dont get it?

gmfeny 11-25-2008 02:11 PM

what java are you guys usimg

yearn 11-25-2008 02:13 PM

I had the same problem Till I downloaded from my phone. I couldnt ever get the .jar or the .jad file to work from my desktop. But from your phone it does everything for you. then you just open java and select the midlet.

I dont fully understand the difference beteeen Operamobile and Mini but I know Mini loads pages WAY faster

mtnmedic 11-25-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yearn (Post 541899)
I had the same problem Till I downloaded from my phone. I couldnt ever get the .jar or the .jad file to work from my desktop. But from your phone it does everything for you. then you just open java and select the midlet.

I dont fully understand the difference beteeen Operamobile and Mini but I know Mini loads pages WAY faster

Even from my phone I get the error messages when I click on the download/file links. And I'm using the defalt Opera browser.

mtnmedic 11-25-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yearn (Post 541899)

Hmmm...just noticed your post. I have to have JAVA working in order to run either of these files? Okay...but if I'm correct the TP doesn't HAVE Java. I did try the "Titan" link, downloaded, had issues with that and the certificate kept expiring and the program kept slowing me down so I got rid of it.

mtnmedic 11-25-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDude1120 (Post 541863)
cant somebody tell me what the diff is between regular opera and opera mini, i dont get it?

Apparently, the "mini" is basically a minimised version of the standard Opera that already is in the TP. Server-assisted, I believe.

yearn 11-25-2008 02:32 PM

can you not install java on the TP? I really dont know?

y