PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Matrix is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP rests on camera lens?

Hello-

Something that's been annoying me ever since I first put my TP down, is the lack of back support. When placed on a flat surface, the phone rests on the strip down the center, which is also the camera lens. Not only is this the *opposite* of what you'd want (usually standoffs are cast into the plastic to protect the lens), but it also means the phone rocks from side to side when using the stylus while the phone is on a table.

Why would HTC do this? :/

Looks like I'm going to have to find something (inevitably ugly) to put on the back so I don't scuff of my lens.

Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed this.

-TM
Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: TP rests on camera lens?

im pretty sure if you have a pro, you noticed this. not really news. its also not the camera lens, its under your battery cover. fyi
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Oh, I didn't mean for it to be news lol.

I'm just wondering what others are doing to protect their lens.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

many cases ot there,http://www.invisibleskinz.com/Articl...FQHHGgodH1QR-w
Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Oh, I didn't mean for it to be news lol.

I'm just wondering what others are doing to protect their lens.
Your lens is protected by the battery cover, god forbid something happens to the battery cover it will probably cost you about nothing to replace your batter cover. So personally I don't see this as a major issue.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (soon as it ships)
Carrier: Verizon (soon to be Sprint)

mitchedo is a n00b

Protected by the battery cover, yes, but the battery cover has a clear plastic lens cover that will get scratched to pieces. Stupid, stupid design!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchedo View Post
Protected by the battery cover, yes, but the battery cover has a clear plastic lens cover that will get scratched to pieces. Stupid, stupid design!!!!!!
Exactly.

To everyone else, I wasn't clear enough in my original post. For what I was talking about, the difference between the actual lens and clear plastic component covering the lens is just semantics. I know I could just put a screen protector over it, but that's not the point. While it may be cheap to replace, it's just silly to design a device that uses its most vulnerable point to take the brunt of wear-and-tear.

I'm thinking about getting some of those grippy things I used to have for my BlackBerry. eGrips or something they were called I think...two strips on either side should solve my rocking issue, and raise the clear plastic part of the battery cover off whatever surface it's on.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM
N00b

macevedo is just getting started

I hadn't noticed this until you mentioned it, but when I put it on a flat surface only the flash part touches the surface. The lens part of the case is lifted off the flat surface by the weight of the battery.

Mario
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'll be darned. There is a very, very subtle curve to it. On mine, the lens cover and even the flash part are raised a tiny bit - only where it says "3.2 megapixels" etc does it actually touch.

Great observation!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

it's not curved, it's because of the strip that then lens end of the phone is off the surface. If the strip was thicker that end would be even higher.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro