PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can This Be Done (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45893)

Mikeschevelle 11-21-2008 12:43 PM

Can This Be Done

Im sure this is a very dumb question so please feel free to bash me for it....but is there any possible way that my TP could be used to open my Garage Door?

Just a random thought

Bad HAL 9000 11-21-2008 12:44 PM

Re: Can This Be Done

Short answer: no

frenchnew 11-21-2008 12:46 PM

Do not think so as the operating frequencies of these remotes are different and also coded to prevent unauthorized door opening.

Mikeschevelle 11-21-2008 12:51 PM

I was thinking (with my techless brain) about something that could push the signal out of the WiFi like WMWiFi router does with the internet.

Lylej2k 11-21-2008 12:54 PM

I don't think so, but that would be cool....

xenokira 11-21-2008 12:56 PM

Your thought wasn't that random...this was posted on Gizmodo on Monday.

Android Hacked to be a Garage Door Remote

It doesn't sound very low-tech though and I'm sure you'd have to write the WinMo app yourself to interface with such a system.

ScrapMaker 11-21-2008 12:57 PM

Assuming that the garage door frequency was in the range of ANY of your radios in your TP, there is always the possibility. It would be far too much work to make something like this work.

That being said, there are some crazy devices out there, and it's possible. I have heard of radios that can record/re-transmit codes. This works on garage doors, car alarms/remote start/etc, window blinds... you get the idea.

So while the hardware MIGHT be capable, (assuming the frequencies are close,) it would take an immense amount of work to 'unlock' them for the kind of use you are looking to do.

Sure would be awesome though. Could you imagine, having your Touch Pro open your garage door, because the GPS detected you pulling into your neighborhood?

WIN!

Mikeschevelle 11-21-2008 01:03 PM

That would be so freggin cool. TAKE THAT iPHONE

ScrapMaker 11-21-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeschevelle (Post 533888)
That would be so freggin cool. TAKE THAT iPHONE

What that article does is REALLY not that hard. It can be done with any WM phone with GPS.

No WIFI needed. Simply track location, and when you get close enough, send a signal to your home-automation server.

Easy as pie. (literally.) I could build a microcontroller that interfaces via serial/usb in less than a day that controls things like garage doors, tvs, etc.

but...

I don't have a garage door, and I don't really care to do this, nor would I want to waste what LITTLE battery life my Touch Pro has already :)

hell, I'd probably do it anyways, just to show off. Do you know how many people did double-takes when my stereo in my car would mute/pause when a phone call came in, then I just answered it by pushing a button on my dash?

I've done this since 2005, before many others had seen this feature. Most STILL think it's cool, even though they've seen it. I find it very useful, especially while driving--even though it does waste battery. (require BT/discoverable.)

UltramanV 11-21-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeschevelle (Post 533845)
Im sure this is a very dumb question so please feel free to bash me for it....but is there any possible way that my TP could be used to open my Garage Door?

Just a random thought

I do .. I use it with my x10 system I open my doors turn on and off the light and monitor the house while im away.. Just need to set up Autohome with the x10 stuff .. I love it ..