PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

r1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Get the Sling Box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
Aside from premium channel access (though I'm not convinced this can't be worked around somehow with Orb, and what's with putting MTV on that list?) what does Slingbox offer over Orb?
I like & use them both... also according to orb's website you can get a ir blaster to work with set-top boxes, so if thats true premium channels are possible with orb... (haven't tried it personally)

But I still prefer sling's GUI for live tv over orb, also if you access sling remotely with a pc it timeshifts... I just use orb to access my multimedia files on the go
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

Here's my setup.

1) Sling Pro w/ HD connection for Touch Pro.

Pros: Colors, sharpness are much better on sling on Touch pro.

Takes less time for the app to start the tv, and less delay.

Cons: Screen size

2)Wintv 1950 connected via composite for Iphone 3G.

Pros: Screen size

Sound is much better on Iphone - Iphones speaker really rocks compared to other phones.

Cons: Colors and sharpness are sub par to the Sling on Touch Pro - This may be because of Tuner's connection, which is only composite/S-vid

Orb support on tv tuners are limited. I researched and made sure Wintv 1950 does work, and got it.

Wintv 1950's IR blaster isn't supported by Orb, so I can't change channels as of now, but I am getting a remote that's supposed to work w/ Orb, so we'll see.

Delay vs real tv is about a minute, and it takes much longer for orb to start live tv than the slingbox.

Anyways, I love both!!

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609

Last edited by ACHlLLES; 11-20-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Pro

CareTake12 is keeping up the good workCareTake12 is keeping up the good work

I have a slingbox AV but i don't have a cable box to hook it up. is there any way to work around it? I tried to use a RF modulator but that didn't work... any suggestion would be great!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

r1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareTake12 View Post
I have a slingbox AV but i don't have a cable box to hook it up. is there any way to work around it? I tried to use a RF modulator but that didn't work... any suggestion would be great!
do you have a old vcr laying around? if so you could use the tv tuner from the vcr, and hook the composite out cables to the slingbox av... then see if you can get the ir code to change the channels on the vcr

Last edited by r1_rydah; 11-21-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I have used both ORB & Sling extensively. IMHO, Sling blows away ORB for streaming live TV.

I still use ORB to access recorded content (videos/music etc etc) on my home hard drives, but live TV streaming from ORB doesn't hold a candle to SB in my experience.

Not only do I get all the premium channels with Sling (HBO on demand etc etc), it just flat out works all the time. ORB will lose connection at times & I would have to call the wife (if she was home) & have her reboot the computer..............

I use a SlingBox Pro with the HD connect dongle (& Roadrunner Turbo). That allows me to use the SB internal tuner at times so i can watch a different channel than the TV is on at home.

~John
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

flyhigh is keeping up the good workflyhigh is keeping up the good work

a few of you mentioned a HD connection. Does this come with the Slingbox? What devices are you actually connecting with it? Also, does your PC's ability have anything to do with the quality or is it just bandwidth that makes a difference?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

DAMBRO24 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltramanV View Post
Im Using the Havabox I have both but the Sling seems slower and not as good of a picture... My hava works great !! ... I have the Sony Mylocation also .. But that doesnt have a client for PPC anymore ..
havabox sig. better or r will it waste my money and not really see a change?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMBRO24 View Post
havabox sig. better or r will it waste my money and not really see a change?
I'm curious about that myself.

I remember when I bought the SB Pro, I researched the hell out of it & at least at that time EVERYBODY who had tried both recommended the SB so that's what I bought.

I don't remember what the negatives about the hava where, & they may well have been corrected by now. If the hava really is better, I would buy one in a heartbeat but I have never met anybody who actually owns one.......

~John
Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: BB Curve 8330

Kash76 is keeping up the good workKash76 is keeping up the good work

My sling only outputs about 250-300k with my 2MB upload. Mine is the clasic sling though. You should be fine.

Many dumb phones-->Treo650-->700wx-->800w-->Touch Pro --> Treo Pro --> BB Curve 8330
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eptd is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
Yeah, slingbox is awesome, I have been slinging for a few years and its wonderful. I know I read some where that the latest version of slingmobile will have a setting for vga resolution, cant wait for that, it will look great on the pro.
VGA would be so sweet! Any ETA on this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro