PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (but i pay for sprint)

drizzo91 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question EXTUSB cable required to sync?

After reading through hundreds of posts on this forum, i have a basic understanding that the HTC touch pro can use a regular USB cable to charge, but can i also use this regular usb cable to sync to my laptop? I thought the only difference between extusb and regular usb was the ability to use headphones/video out?

I have tried using a regular usb cable, but active sync (XP) and wmdc(vista) both refuse to recognize my device. Any inisght??

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: EXTUSB cable required to sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzo91 View Post
After reading through hundreds of posts on this forum, i have a basic understanding that the HTC touch pro can use a regular USB cable to charge, but can i also use this regular usb cable to sync to my laptop? I thought the only difference between extusb and regular usb was the ability to use headphones/video out?

I have tried using a regular usb cable, but active sync (XP) and wmdc(vista) both refuse to recognize my device. Any inisght??

Thanks!
If you use the supplied USB cable then yes, you can charge and sync from the same cable. Some USB cables (aftermarket IPod chargers) have USB cables that will only supply power but no data.

If windows has trouble detecting your phone then go to Settings/Connections/USB to PC and deselect Enable advanced network functionality. Click ok and see if that helps.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

drizzo91 is a n00b

thanks a million! disabled the check box for advanced network functionality and it worked like a charm

what exactly does this disable anyways?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
VIP Member

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
thanks a million! disabled the check box for advanced network functionality and it worked like a charm

what exactly does this disable anyways?
Nothing major. It just basically sets your phone to use an older protacol basicly. You can set that setting back on but since it's not working, most likely you have a corrupted driver install. To fix this:

Go to device manager on your computer

Turn that setting back on that you recently turned off and plug your phone back into your computer

You should see something pop up in device manager. I don't recall off hand and I am not at a computer I can check. Most likely it will be under network or something labeled windows mobile blah blah. It probably has an exclamation mark on it.

Right click it and select uninstall. Select remove drivers if you get a pop up.

Once removed, unplug your phone then plug your phone back in and Windows should try to find a driver for the newly detected hardware.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

drizzo91 is a n00b

Your first solution worked just fine for me, the sync works perfectly in XP and Vista thanks

now that i have that issue out of the way, i have to call and complain to sprint because they stopped letting me use my phone as a modem.

when will the battle end?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Your first solution worked just fine for me, the sync works perfectly in XP and Vista thanks

now that i have that issue out of the way, i have to call and complain to sprint because they stopped letting me use my phone as a modem.

when will the battle end?

Thanks again for your help!

The newer protocal might be required for phone as modem. Honestly I don't know enough about them to say for certain. Just know that if it is required, following my above instructions should get you up and running also and if not, you should be able to revert back as it is now by simply deselcting advanced network. Anyway, I am glad it's working for you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro