PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   New to Touch Pro / Windows Mobile (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45444)

speedy523 11-18-2008 08:13 PM

New to Touch Pro / Windows Mobile

Hey Everyone! Well first i got to say im glad i joined the forums :headbang:

Now moving on, im new to the Touch Pro as well as Windows Mobile. Im coming from an iPhone, which i know pretty well, but alas, the Touch Pro is better =D>

Well i have a couple of questions:
  1. Whats the difference between a hard and soft reset? And how do you preform each?
  2. How do you install Apps, and where do you find the most useful ones?
  3. Is there any way to get a newer version of Flash?
  4. Whats a ROM (is it like firmware for iPhone) and what are risks of flashing to a different one?
These are pretty much the basic questions i had, hope this isn't any trouble :)

vitaminjay1982 11-18-2008 08:39 PM

Re: New to Touch Pro / Windows Mobile

a hard reset is when you take the phone to its "fresh out the box" state. a soft reset is done by pressing in that really small button on the bottom of the phone.

app usually com in a zip folder or already in cab form. and your phone will handle both when opened. usefull really depends on the function you require. and most can be found here or over at xda.

as far as flash im not to sure on. i do think opera on the phone has it built in and some people have gotten skyfire to run on the touch pro.

a rom is the os of the phone. so yeah like firmware. flashing to a different rom is easy if you can follow directions.

brooklynsugabun 11-18-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy523 (Post 528011)
Hey Everyone! Well first i got to say im glad i joined the forums :headbang:

Now moving on, im new to the Touch Pro as well as Windows Mobile. Im coming from an iPhone, which i know pretty well, but alas, the Touch Pro is better =D>

Well i have a couple of questions:
  1. Whats the difference between a hard and soft reset? And how do you preform each?
  2. How do you install Apps, and where do you find the most useful ones?
  3. Is there any way to get a newer version of Flash?
  4. Whats a ROM (is it like firmware for iPhone) and what are risks of flashing to a different one?
These are pretty much the basic questions i had, hope this isn't any trouble :)

A hard reset can be done by going to setting system tab and clear storage. This erase everything on your phone contact calenders etc and restore it to factory settings.

A soft reset can be done at the bottom base of the phone to the right of where you charge or sync your phone its a little yhole where your stylus fits it will reset the phone with minimal lost content at most emails recently downloaded, text msgs or resent call history.

You install programs from places like www.freewarepocketpc.net they have good stuff, www.mkyxer.com for ringtones and here of course there's another site but it's with cracked software so if anyones interested pm for it and of course this site for freeware and tips from other memebers.

For the roms I have no idea to get them to work for me someone can help on that end

Hope this helps. Welcome to the windowns mobile world you'll fall in love from here on out!!!

Dre007 11-18-2008 08:49 PM

1. a hard reset restores ur phone back to factory defualts (or to whatever custom rom u are using), and a soft reset just reboots ur phone. Like a pc, u reboot ur pc when it acts up or starts running slow.
2. For apps, u just download or transfer the appropriate cab file to ur phone. search around the forums (ppcgeeks, xda, etc) to find what programs u want/need
3. yeah, i believe the latest is 3.1??? i think. Theres many threads covering this. use the search feature ^^^
4. Flashing to a different rom just practically makes ur life a whole lot easier if u like to custmize the hell out of ur phone. Of course u can do everything yourself, but finding the appropriate rom that fits what u need gets the job done so much quicker

darren.wlsn1 11-18-2008 08:56 PM

welcome here, start with this link,http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730 more options, please read first,http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44583

speedy523 11-18-2008 09:23 PM

thanks for all the replies! i just had one problem, i installed a program,9 skyfire for fun, and like expected, i got the half screen issue. So when i went to settings and remove programs, skyfire or any other programs weren't there. i also installed it onto my storage card. Any ideas?

Also, the Touch Pro is a VGA Phone? I believe it is, but i jsut want confirmation to be safe :)