PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

pask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
battery polling question

when/if I change the battery polling from default value (5000) to 20000 what does this do? It says it enhances battery life, but how and why?

and has anyone done this, does it work?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: battery polling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pask2155 View Post
when/if I change the battery polling from default value (5000) to 20000 what does this do? It says it enhances battery life, but how and why?

and has anyone done this, does it work?
The more often the battery is polled, the more energy is used. Polling the battery is essentially testing the max voltage the battery is able to discharge under a period of time. This drains battery life slightly, but if done more often then it should can have a detrimental effect on battery life.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

pask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good work

so will I see a difference in battery life, or mess anything up on my phone by changing this value form 5000 to 20000
Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
so will I see a difference in battery life, or mess anything up on my phone by changing this value form 5000 to 20000
You *should* see a difference in battery life depending on what you do. Obviously if you send/receive email every 5 minutes it won't make much of a difference. You won't mess anything up by changing the value, I've used it on my phone and have seen improved performance.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

i guess i still dont get what the polling does? is it essentially checking how much battery life you have???
Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
i guess i still dont get what the polling does? is it essentially checking how much battery life you have???
yup, it checks, but also consumes battery power in order to check.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
The more often the battery is polled, the more energy is used. Polling the battery is essentially testing the max voltage the battery is able to discharge under a period of time. This drains battery life slightly, but if done more often then it should can have a detrimental effect on battery life.
+1...

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

So the tweak suggests changing from 5 to 20 second polling. Why stop there? Why not 30, or 60? Anyone tried higher numbers to see if they make a difference?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
So the tweak suggests changing from 5 to 20 second polling. Why stop there? Why not 30, or 60? Anyone tried higher numbers to see if they make a difference?
I would say go for it. The longer the period, the more inaccurate your battery meter will be. If you would rather have better performance then I'd try 30 or possibly 60 and see if there is a difference.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
because you still want it to be somewhat accurate. you dont want your battery to be at 10 when its says 100 (exaggeration)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro