PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   GPS not working in Google Maps or Live Search (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45308)

jkobe 11-17-2008 11:37 PM

GPS not working in Google Maps or Live Search

Worked fine when I got my TP. I think it stopped working when I tried to install an older version of INAV that I had on my 6700. I did make sure "Location" was turned on under start-settings-phone. Maybe someone can tell me the default values in their External GPS program settings. I might have tried to change those when playing with the INAV. I have since uninstalled the INAV program and still can't get the phone to find Satellites. I am trying it outside too:). Please help and thanks so much.

HBOOT 11-17-2008 11:44 PM

Re: GPS not working in Google Maps or Live Search

Use Com4 nd baud 4800 since you have removed Inav and see whatcha get

jkobe 11-18-2008 07:35 AM

In External GPS, there is "GPS Program Port" and "Gps Hardware Port". So I set the hardware port to COM4 and 4800 baud rate. What do I have the Program port set to? Thanks so much.

[sammich] 11-18-2008 09:04 AM

Programs COM4
Hardware (none) 4800
Manage Automatically

big3etr 11-18-2008 09:46 AM

With Google Maps, you have to hit lower right soft key MENU and select USE GPS EVERYTIME you use that program. You can then use MY LOCATION once it gets a couple satellites. I am not familiar with INAV, so I am no help...Usully takes about 15-20 seconds to lock on (depending if you are indoors adn/or moving)

jkobe 11-18-2008 12:20 PM

Thanks for your help but using those settings, I still can't get either program to find the GPS. Any other thoughts on what I should try next? I have done soft restarts but no hard restarts yet because I don't yet have a backup program. Thanks again.

GoodThings2Life 11-18-2008 01:23 PM

Start > Settings > Phone > Services tab > Location Setting > ON

Then, make sure that the actual GPS port is COM4, 4800, Manage Automatically as Sauman explained above.

Google Maps and Live Search should be configured to use the "Intermediate GPS" driver.

jkobe 11-18-2008 09:01 PM

Okay, I have done what everyone has said:

Start/settings/phone/locations/ on
External GPS settings program port = COM4 Hardware port = (none) baud rate = 4800
Google GPS settings = Managed by windows

When clicking on "Use GPS" in Google Maps, it never gets past "Initializing GPS", then comes up with a white screen that states No GPS receiver was found and a bunch of other info.

In Live Search, when I click on Maps and center on GPS, it stays on "Getting position" and never finds any satellites.

Is there another internal GPS setting area which I can check? Should I contact HTC and see what their Tech support can do? Like I said, it worked fine when I first got the phone and I believe things changed when I installed INAV. I did use the phone's uninstall program menu to remove INAV. Thanks again for all the help so far.

[sammich] 11-18-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkobe (Post 528085)
Okay, I have done what everyone has said:

Start/settings/phone/locations/ on
External GPS settings program port = COM4 Hardware port = (none) baud rate = 4800
Google GPS settings = Managed by windows

When clicking on "Use GPS" in Google Maps, it never gets past "Initializing GPS", then comes up with a white screen that states No GPS receiver was found and a bunch of other info.

In Live Search, when I click on Maps and center on GPS, it stays on "Getting position" and never finds any satellites.

Is there another internal GPS setting area which I can check? Should I contact HTC and see what their Tech support can do? Like I said, it worked fine when I first got the phone and I believe things changed when I installed INAV. I did use the phone's uninstall program menu to remove INAV. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Everything is set right. You may have to try a hard reset. Are you running a custom ROM?

If a hard reset doesn't fix the issue, then you probably have faulty hardware. Take it to Sprint and have them try to make it work. If it doesn't, you shouldn't have problems swapping it out.

jkobe 11-19-2008 12:49 AM

Okay, I purchased spb backup, performed a full backup, hard reset the device, restored my phone via SPB backup and my GPS is still inop. Should I have tried the GPS after the hard reset but before restoring all my stuff? Or does this confirm a have a faulty device? Thanks.