PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DSGamer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help?

I bought an HTC Touch Pro from Sprint this weekend and I'm about to bail. Not just on the phone, but on Sprint. My wife and I have been with Sprint for about 9 years. But this phone is too much for me to take. It's slow to navigate TouchFlo 3D. I've accidentally called people 6 times in the last 2 days because of lag in applications and consequently slip ups in touching the screen at the wrong time. The phone works well enough, but it has so many little things that feel "off" in terms of how I interact with it. It's hard to scroll the recent call history or my contacts with your finger. So I have to use the D-Pad, which is at the bottom of this phone.

The reason I got the phone was because I had a Palm Centro, that while very easy to navigate and fairly intuitive and fast, wasn't terribly comfortable. Plus no voice dialing, which got old. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out before I give up on the phone and maybe Sprint if there's perhaps something wrong with my phone? If there's some major tweak I'm missing. I've done a lot of the speed tweaks listed here and it just still isn't right. I go to task manager and the memory in use is something like 80 MB. That's a lot for a phone. At least it seems like a lot to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work
Re: About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help?

Even in stock form the Sprint Touch Pro should be responsive enough to not cause false calls, etc.

The rest could either be familiarity issues or maybe a defective unit ... maybe go to a Sprint store and compare with a display unit for responsiveness and navigation?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Have you done a Hard Reset? If not, please do so. If that does not work, do it again.

Have you considered disabling TF3D and using just WinMo with a custom Today interface of some kind? Windows is very fast on this phone when TF3D is turned off.

Maybe you are not used to the interface with TF3D. There is a little more to using it then just tapping. I had some fumble issues until I got used to it, but I don't notice any lag that bothers me. I do however notice a difference in speed when I turn it off and just run windows...

And why would you leave Sprint over a phone that you don't like? They do sell other phones...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Sprint sells other phones, but a lot of people are ready for the next gen phones like iphone. I'm only with sprint because I got suckered in with the Instinct lol.

Hang in there friend. You've got 30 days to test the phone. If you get on here and the xda forums for a couple of hours a day, you'll learn how to get the phone working better / to your liking.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
I bought an HTC Touch Pro from Sprint this weekend and I'm about to bail. Not just on the phone, but on Sprint. My wife and I have been with Sprint for about 9 years. But this phone is too much for me to take. It's slow to navigate TouchFlo 3D. I've accidentally called people 6 times in the last 2 days because of lag in applications and consequently slip ups in touching the screen at the wrong time. The phone works well enough, but it has so many little things that feel "off" in terms of how I interact with it. It's hard to scroll the recent call history or my contacts with your finger. So I have to use the D-Pad, which is at the bottom of this phone.

The reason I got the phone was because I had a Palm Centro, that while very easy to navigate and fairly intuitive and fast, wasn't terribly comfortable. Plus no voice dialing, which got old. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out before I give up on the phone and maybe Sprint if there's perhaps something wrong with my phone? If there's some major tweak I'm missing. I've done a lot of the speed tweaks listed here and it just still isn't right. I go to task manager and the memory in use is something like 80 MB. That's a lot for a phone. At least it seems like a lot to me. Any help would be appreciated.
I feel you on this one. I've accidentally called a few people as well on my phone because of the lag. When I try to press the Talk button to get to the phone screen, it doesn't respond right away and so I will hit it again and eventually go to the phone screen but would dial because I hit the button 2x. So ill be sitting there pressing the End key numerous times to stop the call. Typing in landscape also lags. The scrolling thing bugs me as well. A small flick and it scrolls forever. But I have faith in some of the talented people here that I'm sure will find a way to make the phone as close to perfect. I've had the Mogul for over a year and was not perfect when it came out. But thanks to this community and the fixes and hacks, I became very happy with it.

So far however I haven't been able to find a fix for those issues.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Regarding why I'd leave Sprint over a phone? It's more that I can't find a phone that fits my needs. I want a comfortable keyboard and a calendar that's easy to access. Those are my baseline needs. Obviously the Centro isn't comfortable enough. I started having thumb pain and decided to get a new phone. What other phone is there that I'm not considering? The Samsung Rant? The Palm 800W? Those are the only other options I can see (the curve keyboard is uncomfortable to me).

About the speed of the device. What tweaks should I be making? I found a page here and went down the list. I installed Advanced Config or whatever it's called and changed large number of the settings as recommended at that site and here. Things like the touch screen responsiveness, memory allocation, etc. Still slow.

If I turned off TouchFlo 3D, what would I replace it with? I like being able to see, at a glance, that I have missed phone calls, missed text messages, etc. This was something I could always do with my centro and navigating to respond to them was very quick and easy. How would I do that off of the Today screen? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm polling for the most responsive, least resource intensive option for this.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

steb0ne is becoming a great contributor

IMO, WindowsMobile just isn't a snappy device. Especially if your comparing it to Palm OS. If this is ur 1st WM phone, you'll need to get used to it. The Touch Pro is the fastest WM that's out currently with a keyboard. The dialing numbers by accident when scrolling, happens sometimes. I've seen tweaks that'll let you use the d-pad circular motion to scroll, or you can just be careful with your finger gestures on the scroll.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
VIP Member

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
Regarding why I'd leave Sprint over a phone? It's more that I can't find a phone that fits my needs. I want a comfortable keyboard and a calendar that's easy to access. Those are my baseline needs. Obviously the Centro isn't comfortable enough. I started having thumb pain and decided to get a new phone. What other phone is there that I'm not considering? The Samsung Rant? The Palm 800W? Those are the only other options I can see (the curve keyboard is uncomfortable to me).

About the speed of the device. What tweaks should I be making? I found a page here and went down the list. I installed Advanced Config or whatever it's called and changed large number of the settings as recommended at that site and here. Things like the touch screen responsiveness, memory allocation, etc. Still slow.

If I turned off TouchFlo 3D, what would I replace it with? I like being able to see, at a glance, that I have missed phone calls, missed text messages, etc. This was something I could always do with my centro and navigating to respond to them was very quick and easy. How would I do that off of the Today screen? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm polling for the most responsive, least resource intensive option for this.

Maybe try checking the Upgrades page. I've read some custom Roms eliminates some lags.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Bad timing.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

What do you mean? "Bad timing"?

On custom ROMs, I'd prefer not to have to install a new ROM if I can help it. I've been looking at the Google G1 and I keep wondering why I can't have something more like that, to some extent. Basic clock on the today screen along with some icons I can click. If the phone were just more responsive, I could forgive the quirks of the underlying Windows Mobile such as having to use a stylus to navigate contacts or previous calls quickly.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro