PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Talking Text messages (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45245)

JUDD227 11-17-2008 05:07 PM

Talking Text messages

Ok so I got a little freaked out the other day. I know that the phone talks and tells you your upcoming appointments and is supposed to anounce incoming calls with voice when it's set up. However the other day I text a Dr friend of mine who is using a blackberry on Verizon and when he replied my touch pro told me what his text message said. Scared the crap out of me at first then I thought it was pretty cool but then I got to thinking if he types something I don't want anybody to hear I'm scr**ed. I have received many text from many people and this only happens with his text. I can't figure out what setting is allowing this, haven't tryied to turn off voice command yet as I use it alot but this could be a potential kick in the a** if your not carefull.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone else had this happen? Thanks in advance for you advise.

SurfDan5 11-17-2008 05:24 PM

Re: Talking Text messages

I hope my TP thats coming today doesn't do that. This could get me a swift kick in the balls from my girl :(

myhollowworld2 11-17-2008 05:26 PM

I'm not too sure since I don't own a TP, but I know when I had Voice Command on, it would speak only SOME of my text messages aloud. It was funny, but ultimately annoying... Not sure why it appears to be selective like that.

Scrotum 11-17-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDD227 (Post 525309)
Ok so I got a little freaked out the other day. I know that the phone talks and tells you your upcoming appointments and is supposed to anounce incoming calls with voice when it's set up. However the other day I text a Dr friend of mine who is using a blackberry on Verizon and when he replied my touch pro told me what his text message said. Scared the crap out of me at first then I thought it was pretty cool but then I got to thinking if he types something I don't want anybody to hear I'm scr**ed. I have received many text from many people and this only happens with his text. I can't figure out what setting is allowing this, haven't tryied to turn off voice command yet as I use it alot but this could be a potential kick in the a** if your not carefull.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone else had this happen? Thanks in advance for you advise.

The default is to only announce high priority messages, his may be high priority considering he is a DR.

JUDD227 11-17-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrotum (Post 525365)
The default is to only announce high priority messages, his may be high priority considering he is a DR.

Where do I find that setting?

lcyals 11-17-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDD227 (Post 525371)
Where do I find that setting?

I don't have a TP, I have a Diamond, but I'm gonna say it should be the same way. Start/Settings/Personal/Voice Command - It gives you a list of the available programs/features that can use voice command. You can disable Messaging or change the notifications to be announced through a bluetooth headset or wired headset.

mdodge 11-17-2008 05:40 PM

You can turn it off for messaging. Start, settings, voice command. Uncheck messaging. Or click on message, then options and uncheck announce new messages. This will stop it from saying new text messages and new activesync email messages.

aznmode 11-17-2008 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdodge (Post 525395)
You can turn it off for messaging. Start, settings, voice command. Uncheck messaging. Or click on message, then options and uncheck announce new messages. This will stop it from saying new text messages and new activesync email messages.

Thanks for the info.