PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Matrix is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro screen vs. Mogul

Hello-

While researching my decision to get a TP, I saw numerous posts and articles mentioning the smaller screen of the TP when compared to the Mogul.

I measured.

The Mogul screen is roughly 1mm larger diagonally...that's a very, very small amount. So it may be technically true that it's smaller, but you'll never notice it after a few seconds of using it. And the VGA resolution, to quote Dr. Evil, "...it's breathtaking...I suggest you try it."

Anyway, just letting people know, since I feel those "smaller" claims floating around out there to be a bit exaggerated when all factors are taken into account.

-TM
Old 11-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Touch Pro screen vs. Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Hello-

While researching my decision to get a TP, I saw numerous posts and articles mentioning the smaller screen of the TP when compared to the Mogul.

I measured.

The Mogul screen is roughly 1mm larger diagonally...that's a very, very small amount. So it may be technically true that it's smaller, but you'll never notice it after a few seconds of using it. And the VGA resolution, to quote Dr. Evil, "...it's breathtaking...I suggest you try it."

Anyway, just letting people know, since I feel those "smaller" claims floating around out there to be a bit exaggerated when all factors are taken into account.

-TM
I would say its more how the screen is perceived. The Mogul is undoubtedly wider than the pro, which made the screen appear larger. When people switched to the Pro, most instantly realized how much narrower the phone was, which in turn makes the screen looks slightly smaller.

But the VGA resolution... It's unbelievably gorgeous.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Lurker

hamstarz is a n00b

no, many people have measured, it's more than just a perception issue. the touch pro screen IS a little bit smaller than the mogul's, but the VGA resolution more than makes up for it.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

True, true.

Also, by default the TP's theme is "Sprint", which is all black. That makes the title and bottom bars of the WM OS blend into the body, making the screen look smaller.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Yuo.. I noticed it. Its smaller.. but not enough to piss me off.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 AM
X Communicated User
Pocket PC: IPHONE 4

pzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstarz View Post
no, many people have measured, it's more than just a perception issue. the touch pro screen IS a little bit smaller than the mogul's, but the VGA resolution more than makes up for it.
im going to flame a little here did u measure the actual screen on from side to side....if you have not noticed the screen on the mogul is not flush to the housing its recessed and comes in a little...that is why when u click the x and you touch all the way to the top on mogul it does not respond. if you pay close attention to the screen on the mogul you will see the whole screen does not fill the complete window....now on the other hand if you look at a touch pro the complete screen is visible so there goes you 1mm ......

THE SCREENS ARE THE SAME EXACT SIZE
Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

With the screen on and measuring from the corners of the top/bottom WM bars:

Mogul: 43mm wide x 57.5mm tall
TP: 42mm wide x 56.25 tall

About 1mm smaller on each axis. Lt Cmdr Data would have a hard time noticing the effective difference when in use.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Lurker

hamstarz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzztgotbagz View Post
im going to flame a little here did u measure the actual screen on from side to side....if you have not noticed the screen on the mogul is not flush to the housing its recessed and comes in a little...that is why when u click the x and you touch all the way to the top on mogul it does not respond. if you pay close attention to the screen on the mogul you will see the whole screen does not fill the complete window....now on the other hand if you look at a touch pro the complete screen is visible so there goes you 1mm ......

THE SCREENS ARE THE SAME EXACT SIZE
No, I know about the flush screen thing, I used the mogul for over a year. I'm talking about with the screen on, and the actual visible screen area. See Matrix's post above, he measured the visible area...the TP's screen is smaller.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO 1250

sn0b0ard is keeping up the good worksn0b0ard is keeping up the good work

You should go to a Best Buy or a Sprint store to check out the phone.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Lurker

hamstarz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0b0ard View Post
You should go to a Best Buy or a Sprint store to check out the phone.
i have both phones. i'm not saying i don't like the TP's screen; i like it a lot better than my mogul's. the extra resolution is awesome. but the TP's screen is a bit smaller, that's a fact.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro