PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   TP Fails to Self Activate - Defect? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44422)

leetsauce 11-12-2008 05:16 AM

TP Fails to Self Activate - Defect?

I received my Touch Pro via UPS on Monday, and promptly swapped the ESN on the Sprint website. The TP tried to automatically activate upon first boot. However, after several failed attempts, I decided to call Customer Care to activate it manually. Calls and text work perfectly, but data still refuses to connect.

I've tried the ##3282# method, and it did nothing. I've tried Update Profile, and it tells me "No profile update available."

I went to the Sprint Store today, and after waiting for almost an hour, the technician told me that is an outage with the self-activation system, according to Sprint after another customer's Instinct refused to self-activate. They said I should wait out until tomorrow night at the latest...

My question is, from 11/10 to 11/12, was anyone here able to successfully activate a Touch Pro via the "Hands Free Activation" without any problems? Also, does this seem like a problem on Sprint's side, or a defect?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am in the LA area.

fuuup 11-12-2008 05:29 AM

Re: TP Fails to Self Activate - Defect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leetsauce (Post 513426)
I received my Touch Pro via UPS on Monday, and promptly swapped the ESN on the Sprint website. The TP tried to automatically activate upon first boot. However, after several failed attempts, I decided to call Customer Care to activate it manually. Calls and text work perfectly, but data still refuses to connect.

I've tried the ##3282# method, and it did nothing. I've tried Update Profile, and it tells me "No profile update available."

I went to the Sprint Store today, and after waiting for almost an hour, the technician told me that is an outage with the self-activation system, according to Sprint after another customer's Instinct refused to self-activate. They said I should wait out until tomorrow night at the latest...

My question is, from 11/10 to 11/12, was anyone here able to successfully activate a Touch Pro via the "Hands Free Activation" without any problems? Also, does this seem like a problem on Sprint's side, or a defect?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah... i used hands free activation on mine on the 11th.

darren.wlsn1 11-12-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 513430)
Yeah... i used hands free activation on mine on the 11th.

if you have a pro, change your phone info. please. op,when sprint has a problem they cant fix, its always some outside source or an act of god for the reason. never there problem.

lord-anubis 11-12-2008 08:07 AM

I had the same problem yesterday, got mine at the BB in northridge, immediately went to the sprint store across the street, no luck, but the tech told me to be vigilant about it with sprint so I did, and after 40 minutes of actually good customer service and troubleshooting, We got it working by hard resetting and sending out a re-provision at the same time.

They said they are having a backlog due to the provisioning system f-ing up and all the pro's being activated on a daily basis. :headbang:

fuuup 11-12-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 513461)
if you have a pro, change your phone info. please. op,when sprint has a problem they cant fix, its always some outside source or an act of god for the reason. never there problem.

Thanks for the reminder bud!

jamthepearl 11-12-2008 03:14 PM

I had the same problem last night and used the ##DATA# <enter MSL> edit Active Profile from a 0 to 1, saved, rebooted, and data was working. You just need to get your MSL from Sprint.

leetsauce 11-12-2008 05:40 PM

I've already tried that, it didn't work. Was your phone able to activate itself with Hands Free Activation? Mine gets stuck at that point. Manual activation will get my phone to do voice and text, but no data.

In an experiment, I tried to re-activate my Diamond on to the line, but found that it also failed to self-activate. Perhaps there really is an outage in the LA area?

dajeepman 11-12-2008 06:05 PM

when i got my phone by ups it would not auto activate.. I had to call to get it working.. and then data would not work so another call.. and now all good.

bigmikemn 11-12-2008 06:07 PM

Probably not a TP issue - Sprint is having provisioning issues nationwide. We are rolling out BlackBerrys and have had issues this week.

levelbest 11-12-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmikemn (Post 514765)
Probably not a TP issue - Sprint is having provisioning issues nationwide. We are rolling out BlackBerrys and have had issues this week.

Indeed - the systems are backed up. Had a problem activating, and they have been working on it since this morning... confirmed by 2 level 2 tech folks - there are issues right now with the provisioning.

chazman 11-12-2008 06:12 PM

I am having provisioning issues with a new TP in Jacksonville Florida today. Nothing is working. Everything mentioned in this forum has not worked today. I can use the phone but no data. Level II didn't come up with anything to try that wasn't mentioned here. I actually had one rep (lower level) try and sell me a different data plan to try and fix it! Beware!

Chaz

mgioia2 11-12-2008 06:17 PM

Same thing in Houston...phone and text work fine but no data...

leetsauce 11-12-2008 06:46 PM

Confirmed by the L2 rep I'm speaking to right now that this indeed is a nationwide outage. I'm in the process of hard resetting and having my phone provisioned one more time to see if that'll work.

They said there is no guaranteed fix time, but their ETA was this evening.

mgioia2 11-12-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leetsauce (Post 514876)
Confirmed by the L2 rep I'm speaking to right now that this indeed is a nationwide outage. I'm in the process of hard resetting and having my phone provisioned one more time to see if that'll work.

They said there is no guaranteed fix time, but their ETA was this evening.

Thanks for the info!

Chadmanii 11-13-2008 11:50 PM

I received my Touch Pro yesterday and still have no internet. I called yesterday and the (very helpful) rep stepped me through the ##DATA# change, but she said that was just to prepare the phone for when the provisioning comes back online. Called again tonight and the rep said that 95% of her calls tonight were from data activations not working. I think there really is an issue with the provisioning network.